Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
They have the 2011 11 base for 719.00 the same one Macconnection has for 699.00 new....kind of strange the manufacturer has it at a higher price then the store they sold them too....weird marketing there.

Macconnection= new factory sealed
Apple= refurb

Probably doesn't make a difference but for some it might. Might as well go new for $20 less.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
I am totally confused
I know you are, bless you.

The decrease in speed included the boot time, time to open windows and apps, time coming back from sleep, even Safari's rendering seemed to slow down

Ok, well I just wanted to check that was what you were talking about, and to give you a chance to think about it. The reason being, none of thos save perhaps for Safari related issues, have anything at all to do with the aount of RAM you have installed.

Boot time won't be affected by RAM unless you have less than 128mb..

Opening of apps or windows won't be affected by RAM unless you already have lots of them open.

Time coming back form sleep is not dependant on RAM

Safari rendering speed is dependant on what you're running within Safari, there are a well known list of things that affect the speed of Safari about as long as both my arms. Flash is the real memory hog when it comes to Safari, which why a lot of people that use flash often use a different browser.

My point of asking is because people blame RAM for many things and computers being slow, when in truth RAM has nothing to do with much of it.

There is a HUGE misconception amongst so many users on this forum that end up wasting their own money and that of other people with poor advice on how much RAM people need.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I know you are, bless you.

Ok, well I just wanted to check that was what you were talking about, and to give you a chance to think about it. The reason being, none of thos save perhaps for Safari related issues, have anything at all to do with the aount of RAM you have installed.

Boot time won't be affected by RAM unless you have less than 128mb..

Opening of apps or windows won't be affected by RAM unless you already have lots of them open.

Time coming back form sleep is not dependant on RAM

Safari rendering speed is dependant on what you're running within Safari, there are a well known list of things that affect the speed of Safari about as long as both my arms. Flash is the real memory hog when it comes to Safari, which why a lot of people that use flash often use a different browser.

My point of asking is because people blame RAM for many things and computers being slow, when in truth RAM has nothing to do with much of it.

There is a HUGE misconception amongst so many users on this forum that end up wasting their own money and that of other people with poor advice on how much RAM people need.

Those were some examples of what had slowed down. I will say that my wife likes to have certain apps open on startup which I hate but that could be part of the issue. And I am not saying that ram was the cause I am saying it slowed down when Lion was installed. After trying many things I threw some more ram in and then it operated exactly as before. One of the biggest points of pain was Safari...it would actually beachball when opening a new tab. Itunes would beachball when flipping songs. You are correct that there are tons of things that can affect Safari (such as huge font libraries, etc.) and I looked into them. I am not exaggerating when I say that everything ran fine with the exact same setup when on SL and all issues started immediately after installing Lion. I even tried a clean install of Lion to see if there was just some issues with the upgrade.

I still stand by the fact that the upgrades from 2011 to 2012 are enough that getting a 2011 at this time to save $150 makes little sense. It's not just 2GB of ram to 4GB of ram. There is the fact that the SSD is way faster, the ram is faster, the graphics processor is better. The entire machine is just a big step up performance-wise. If someone is looking at a laptop to last just a few years than it's probably OK but if the person is like me and wants to get the most out of the machine than a refurb 2012 is a much better deal. Especially when little can be upgraded hardware-wise.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Those were some examples of what had slowed down. I will say that my wife likes to have certain apps open on startup which I hate but that could be part of the issue. And I am not saying that ram was the cause I am saying it slowed down when Lion was installed. After trying many things I threw some more ram in and then it operated exactly as before. One of the biggest points of pain was Safari...it would actually beachball when opening a new tab. Itunes would beachball when flipping songs. You are correct that there are tons of things that can affect Safari (such as huge font libraries, etc.) and I looked into them. I am not exaggerating when I say that everything ran fine with the exact same setup when on SL and all issues started immediately after installing Lion. I even tried a clean install of Lion to see if there was just some issues with the upgrade.

I still stand by the fact that the upgrades from 2011 to 2012 are enough that getting a 2011 at this time to save $150 makes little sense. It's not just 2GB of ram to 4GB of ram. There is the fact that the SSD is way faster, the ram is faster, the graphics processor is better. The entire machine is just a big step up performance-wise. If someone is looking at a laptop to last just a few years than it's probably OK but if the person is like me and wants to get the most out of the machine than a refurb 2012 is a much better deal. Especially when little can be upgraded hardware-wise.

Look firstly you're STILL comparing your experiences to a different machine (an iMac!?), with different hardware, which is irrelevant to the OP's questions, so stop talking about SL for gods sake because it just isn't at all important to a discussion about an MBA.

Thats great for you, but the OP clearly isn't like you as he's stipulated his needs and like you've already stated, it would be ok. So perhaps you should leave it at that.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
Look firstly you're STILL comparing your experiences to a different machine (an iMac!?), with different hardware, which is irrelevant to the OP's questions, so stop talking about SL for gods sake because it just isn't at all important to a discussion about an MBA.

Thats great for you, but the OP clearly isn't like you as he's stipulated his needs and like you've already stated, it would be ok. So perhaps you should leave it at that.

Please read my posts before saying stuff like this. This is the second time you have made statements without reading what I wrote.

Same question for you: did you ever use one ?
I installed ML on my wife's MBA one month ago and it's snappier than the previous Lion ...

Yes I have. Others have seen an improvement with ML over Lion so that could be true. The one I used had Lion installed.

To write further on it. I used a 2011 MBA with 2GB and Lion (not ML) for awhile before I bought my own 2012 MBA. I have experience with both laptops in stock form.

The SL conversation is only still continuing because you are hung up on trying to call me out. Welcome to my ignore list.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Please read my posts before saying stuff like this. This is the second time you have made statements without reading what I wrote.

To write further on it. I used a 2011 MBA with 2GB and Lion (not ML) for awhile before I bought my own 2012 MBA. I have experience with both laptops in stock form.

The SL conversation is only still continuing because you are hung up on trying to call me out. Welcome to my ignore list.

You've already been called out, and i'm bored now. Night x

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
You've already been called out, and i'm bored now. Night x

Maybe you need to start an argument about how an 11in laptop is smaller than a 13in laptop. Seems up your alley. Oh wait....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.