Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:55 AM   #26
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal4 View Post
That makes perfect sense then why Apple would charge sales tax with online line orders and other online orders from other companies would not.
If they have a physical presence in your state, they must collect sales tax. If one of these other companies has a physical presence in Texas, they will also collect it. These companies aren't going to risk an audit.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:04 AM   #27
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

I just had two new iMacs delivered and ordered two sets of 32gbs of ram from OWC. They were quick to ship and responded to my email within a couple hours. I love their customer service and haven't ordered from anyone else in a couple years now.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:54 PM   #28
Slow Programmer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkle View Post
From what I've read, MacMall is the only company allowed to buy Apple computers in bulk and sell them at a discount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacMall

This is interesting given the fact that MacMall is apparently also the most hated organization in the world.

Read through some of these reviews and try to think of a company that has been so harshly reviewed by so many customers. Obviously, they aren't literally the worst reviewed company around, but the consistency of negative comments is fascinating.
That page is obviously written by MacMall. They are, "one of the only companies," that buy in bulk. BHPhoto is another. Amazon is another along with many others. MacMall has always been shady in their advertising.
Slow Programmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:58 PM   #29
signal4
macrumors newbie

And the FedEx guy just dropped the Imac off !!!! Plus its one of the USA ones !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	384905  
signal4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:21 PM   #30
ppdix
macrumors 6502

Thumbs up Mac Mall has been great for me...

I've been ordering from MacMall for over 15 years. Since they had a printed catalog...
I have never had any issues or problems with them.
The main reason is no tax. My 2012 MacPro with extras was over $6000. That's $420 in taxes alone. I usually get free overnight shipping, some kind of free gift (once I got a free monochrome Laser Printer) and super easy returns and exchanges.
If you know your sales person, you get huge discounts. Even if you don't know them, they will usually lower the price if you haggle a little.
Another thing I love is availability and instant gratification. Usually most items are in stock and you have until 8pm or sometimes later to get the item shipped overnight. And like I said, they usually work with you on shipping charges.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:44 PM   #31
Kirkle
macrumors member

Quote:
And the FedEx guy just dropped the Imac off !!!! Plus its one of the USA ones !!
Hooray!

Now how can I get mine from them?
Kirkle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:42 AM   #32
CaptMike
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ryan ... I am in Texas like you. My experience is that when ordering online from somewhere outside of Texas there is no sales tax added......except from Apple of course

While this is true, you are still responsible for payment of the "USE" tax when your state SALES TAX is not charged/paid
CaptMike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:52 AM   #33
Kirkle
macrumors member

Your iMac was a 21" correct? Any word of when they will be shipping out the 27" models?
Kirkle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:58 PM   #34
henryp
macrumors member

see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
how many times have people been audited in that situation... go ahead I'll wait... yeah good luck with that...
First, when you sign your tax returns you acknowledge that misstatements constitute perjury. You can be prosecuted. You'd also be liable for the original tax plus interest and penalties. Penalties can add up fast.

Second, sometimes its beyond your control and the retailer's too. Before I came to work here I was a customer and for a while was employed by a NJ studio. (My home was and is in NY). On a couple of ocassions I ordered stuff to be shipped to the studio mainly because it was simpler than shlepping.

Lo and behold. NY state audited B&H (for NY sales tax or payroll tax or something) and because NY & NJ have a reciprocal sales tax agreement, NY told NJ.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac