Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GothamsGreatest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
As many of you many know the IPhone 5 is on sale at Walmart right now for $127. I called up At&t and asked them about upgrading to it and as I am eligible for the upgrade, they said if I buy the Iphone now they would prorate my bill which I DO NOT want. My question is, can i buy the phone from Walmart for the discounted price and activate it the day my billing cycle ends which occurs the first week of Feb??

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
As many of you many know the IPhone 5 is on sale at Walmart right now for $127. I called up At&t and asked them about upgrading to it and as I am eligible for the upgrade, they said if I buy the Iphone now they would prorate my bill which I DO NOT want. My question is, can i buy the phone from Walmart for the discounted price and activate it the day my billing cycle ends which occurs the first week of Feb??

I would think so, I bought my 5 the monday before thanksgiving and did not activate it until Christmas day.

Now I am on Verizon and I paid full price, so YMMV

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
You can activate whenever.....but to buy now at the subsidized price you need to be eligible for the subsidy now (i.e. you need to be upgrade eligible now).

timlopez

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
For what it's worth, I tried to purchase an iPhone 5 from walmart a couple days before Christmas for my wife to give to her on Christmas, but the guy said he would need to activate it immediately (which would have discontinued her current iPhone 4). I ended up going to Best Buy and price matching about a week later because Walmart was out. Best Buy activated on the stop as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.