Nope working in IT and a wife!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:59 PM   #103
driver.joe
macrumors newbie

damn right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
I won't be liking another "S" model again, that's for sure
I like the current design, but slightly wider, thinner, and bigger 4.3-4.7 ish would be yummy
I've been stuck with 3GS and now 4S so no way 5S. I will go android.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:06 PM   #104
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it needs a "redesign" in shape. It just needs to have a bigger screen, that is not just taller, but also wider. The design of the phone itself is slick and nice, in my opinion. But would like to see that much rumored tear drop designed a few years ago, but that's wishful thinking.

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:09 PM   #105
reyalP
macrumors newbie

Other than reducing the screen size back to 3.5 inches i see no reason to mess with perfection.
reyalP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:52 PM   #106
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

How about a better UI redesign?
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:03 PM   #107
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

While I would like to see some things changed, I wouldn't say that it needs a complete redesign.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:07 PM   #108
Ann P
macrumors 68000

Love the design. In my opinion it's the best looking phone on the market...BUT OS 7 better be amazing.
Ann P is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:12 AM   #109
Leekyfaucets
macrumors newbie

Why do everybody think that the iPhone needs a new design? You can't really change the way the outside looks. If they had to change things it would be, I dunno, maybe the width of the or maybe the width of the screen. I have been waiting for an iPhone on Verizon since they came out didn't get 1 till the 4s came out. I love the way it feels and look but some ppl on here are correct. It do need a bigger screen to maybe keep up with all the others. But let's face it. No matter what Apple puts out, ppl will buy it. Me, personally the sweet spot for screen sizes are 4.3-4.7. That's the area. Maybe apple should look at why so many ppl jailbreak their phones. I mean it's my phone, why can't I do what I want with it? The new 5, to me is a little disappointing only because its taller. They could have just kept it the same width also. It's tooooo light, feel like Imma break it. 4s has nice weight to it.

I think these things should be implemented in the next iPhone (design and UI)
Some of these will be taken from android or the JB community

Screen 4.5 inches but make phone same width as b4 the 5
Live wallpapers (app n store with about 50 diff. Ones)
Face identification (4 lock screen but better than android cuz I can u a pic or my wife n unlock her phone)
Real fingerprint scanner (how dnt think it will work properly but who knws)
Different way to kill all apps
Flash video. (That would be great). Dnt apple use adobe on macs. Dnt hve1
Just basically they should find out why ppl jailbreak their phones and try and polish up on that idea or take some things from the JB world and apply it to iPhones. I pretty much guarantee less ppl would jailbreak there phones. It would still get jailbroken but less ppl would do it. Any comments. This is my first post too. I'm bored at work n started reading. I cnt upgrade till October anyway.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyalP View Post
Other than reducing the screen size back to 3.5 inches i see no reason to mess with perfection.
U like the smaller screen. Wow
Leekyfaucets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:16 AM   #110
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Agree, but it can not only be a hardware redesign, it has to be an iOS as well otherwise we will have the same crap, just on another phone.
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:33 AM   #111
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
So the iPhone has kept the same look since 2007?
Yep. To someone who doesn't know anything about the phones minor visual details, they can't tell the difference.
For example, I had an iPhone 2G, upgraded to and iPhone 4 on release, my grandma look at the both side by side and says: "They're the same, but the old one has more silver on it" and I asked which she preferred (she knows how to use iOS and is a very good computer user, working professionally in it) she tells me she prefers the old one because it is more round. Therefore I'm pretty sure I can say that the phone has never really has any major overhaul. It's always the same old slide to unlock, confronted with a grid of icons, an exceptionally boring pull down notification center, and the same old home button. Can we see something new please?
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:51 AM   #112
Skika
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfer899 View Post
Yep. To someone who doesn't know anything about the phones minor visual details, they can't tell the difference.
For example, I had an iPhone 2G, upgraded to and iPhone 4 on release, my grandma look at the both side by side and says: "They're the same, but the old one has more silver on it" and I asked which she preferred (she knows how to use iOS and is a very good computer user, working professionally in it) she tells me she prefers the old one because it is more round. Therefore I'm pretty sure I can say that the phone has never really has any major overhaul. It's always the same old slide to unlock, confronted with a grid of icons, an exceptionally boring pull down notification center, and the same old home button. Can we see something new please?
Quote:
my granma cant tell the difference therefore nothing changed!1
I am not against change but personally i dont feel a need for a major overhaul. iOS does what i need and expect from my phone.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:19 AM   #113
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
I am not against change but personally i dont feel a need for a major overhaul. iOS does what i need and expect from my phone.
Okay, dont feel the "need" for an overhaul, but it would be nice to have one, with things like widget intergration and being able to put files on the device without the need for iTunes. It would be nice, I admit however, that I don't feel it needs it. And it does do everything I need it to do as you said.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:45 PM   #114
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
So it has the same concept in design, which is not the same. If you handed me a 2G and a 4, I would tell you which is which and that the 4 is better.

Only thing I can recommend is if you want something different, leave iOS for alittle bit.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:57 PM   #115
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
So it has the same concept in design, which is not the same. If you handed me a 2G and a 4, I would tell you which is which and that the 4 is better.

Only thing I can recommend is if you want something different, leave iOS for alittle bit.
Most people could tell me which is which.
However, I don't like any of the other mobile OSes that are currently available.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:02 PM   #116
thatgirl87
macrumors member

I hope it doesn't. I love the current design of the iPhone 5. The only thing about the design that should change is make it iPad Mini size. I hope they never get rid of the flat sides.
thatgirl87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:19 PM   #117
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Most people could tell me which is which.
However, I don't like any of the other mobile OSes that are currently available.
Then you can't really complain about how it needs a redesign.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:42 PM   #118
djones817
macrumors newbie

As someone that has used both Android and Apple devices extensively, I wouldn't say the iPhone needs to be completely redesigned. The hardware is already best in class.

On the hardware front I believe a 4.3-4.5 inch display would be the perfect balance and they could still offer the 3.5/4 inch model as the cheaper version.

In my opinion, moving to a 4-inch display didn't have enough of an effect because the screen only got taller and not wider so the amount of content visible didn't really increase.

The biggest problem is that iOS has not been redesigned to fully take advantage of a bigger screen and thats what I believe needs the most work rather than hardware.

Some software enhancements that I feel iOS could use out of the box are:
1. Live tiles/Widgets,
2. Updated notification center
3. Freedom to place apps anywhere on the grid
4. Update app icons to look like OSX icons rather than squares (I think this is the biggest reason iOS still looks like its 2007)
5. Etc, magical, etc, revolutionary, etc.
djones817 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 06:40 AM   #119
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

I am personally not sold on the concept of widgets. Am I the only one who likes the idea of my iphone primarily being an app launcher? Why would I want a widget that sucks battery life and hogs half the screen?
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 06:55 AM   #120
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macMD View Post
If they ever plan on doing anything with NFC they will have to change out the metal back, and why not use more of the iPad design elements. The iP5 is really just an iP4/4S but taller and thinner and not so innovative.
Yeah I mean its not like they doubled the RAM or designed a custom A6 processor in it. It's just taller and thinner.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:59 AM   #121
Tyrion
macrumors 6502

To be honest, this is the first time since 2009 (when I entered the iOS world) that I feel like Android has the more attractive flagships. The HTC One and the Xperia Z blow the iPhone 5 out of the water in terms of looks. Those 1080p screens don't hurt either... I'm probably not going to jump ship just yet (the Xperia Z reportedly has terrible battery life and I'd rather have the Snapdragon 800 than the 600 used in the One), but I find myself looking at Android phones with a lot of interest lately, something I haven't ever done before because Apple's offerings were so clearly superior in terms of design and functionality. Not anymore.
Tyrion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:24 PM   #122
Jimmy James
macrumors 65816

Complete redesign happened last year and it's great!
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 01:23 AM   #123
Cody21
macrumors 6502a

I can't wait until it's announced and the threads start like: "are you getting the new iPhone?", "Going to Android!!", and "not getting the same phone again".
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:56 AM   #124
mapledress
macrumors regular

Personally, I love the current design very much, stylish. Only hope that the screen of iPhone can become a litter bigger.
mapledress is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone