Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Hero887
macrumors member

B&W Zeppelin Air or B&O Beosound 8

UPDATE: its okay not, problem solved. I went for the Beosound. please ignore this topic now
thanks

Can someone help me decide?

I found these two for the same price
Zeppelin Air 499
Beosound 8 499.99 http://www.zavvi.com/electronics/ipo.../10644006.html (even less on ebay 450 but i'd rather pay a bit more to buy froma reputable retailer like Zavvi)

Which has the best sound?

I read that the Beosound 8 has better clarity and stereo separation. The Zeppelin Air has bigger bass but can be a bit over powering.

Zeppelin Air has AIRPLAY but a Airport Express can be attached to the Beosound 8 to give it airplay even though that would mean the DAC in the airport express is used instead of the DAC inside the Beosound.

I like the design of them both so thats not a factor.

anyone heard both of these before?

any advice would be appreciated, I have searched tirelessly on google.

thanks again

Last edited by Hero887; Feb 4, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Hero887 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:16 AM   #2
firmansolutions
macrumors member

B&O have an excellent reputation for quality. Havent listened to either but I was shopping around for a bit and the discount on the B&O (its now superceded by the model with airplay) should get you an excellent system at a tolerable price.

-- just noticed you bought the B&O already. What is it like?
firmansolutions is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:10 PM   #3
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a

I bought the B&W MM-1 and Zepplin Air. Both are awesome.
iAppl3Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:07 PM   #4
jterp7
macrumors 6502a

wow beosound 8 is 2x the price to the zepplin in the US, $1150 vs $600, incredible deal for the beosound based on that.

I see that's the choice you made, great
iPhone 4S
jterp7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

The B&O is a bargain at 499 - which is why I guess it's sold out.

Buying B&O might seem ridiculously expensive, but, you will get some of the best engineering and quality I've ever experienced from a consumer product, and they hold their prices ridiculously well. That is a speaker you'll be able to use for 5-10 years, and sell for over half what you paid for it (and buying at 500, I'd be shocked if you got less than 400 for it years down the line).

I bought the BeoPlay A8 (same speaker, but with AirPlay) on our company discount scheme for 449. Best purchase I've ever made by far. The sound is incredible. If only I could afford the A9
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Hero887
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmansolutions View Post
-- just noticed you bought the B&O already. What is it like?
Its great thanks. Sounds very nice and the design is awesome looking. So glad I got it now don't know how it compares to other high end docks though as i've not listened to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
The B&O is a bargain at 499 - which is why I guess it's sold out.

Buying B&O might seem ridiculously expensive, but, you will get some of the best engineering and quality I've ever experienced from a consumer product, and they hold their prices ridiculously well. That is a speaker you'll be able to use for 5-10 years, and sell for over half what you paid for it (and buying at 500, I'd be shocked if you got less than 400 for it years down the line).

I bought the BeoPlay A8 (same speaker, but with AirPlay) on our company discount scheme for 449. Best purchase I've ever made by far. The sound is incredible. If only I could afford the A9
Thank you. Btw does your Beoplay A8 make a hissing sound when not playing? Its the powerpack probably. I am quite sensitive to it and have to unpug my unit before I go to bed otherwise the hissing sound will really keep me up.

thanks

Last edited by Hero887; Feb 7, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero887 View Post
Its great thanks. Sounds very nice and the design is awesome looking. So glad I got it now don't know how it compares to other high end docks though as i've not listened to others.

Thank you. Btw does your Beoplay A8 make a hissing sound when not playing? Its the powerpack probably. I am quite sensitive to it and have to unpug my unit before I go to bed otherwise the hissing sound will really keep me up.

thanks
I can't say I've noticed it, but it's too far away from my bed to notice anyway. The only observation I have with it is that it gets quite warm, even when in standby.

Have you tried plugging it into a socket in a different room? And is it plugged into a surge protector?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Hero887
macrumors member

Quote:
I can't say I've noticed it, but it's too far away from my bed to notice anyway. The only observation I have with it is that it gets quite warm, even when in standby.

Have you tried plugging it into a socket in a different room? And is it plugged into a surge protector?
Thanks. Yeah it probably is too close to my bed like 2 metres away lol. I did what you suggested and got a new surge protector extension socket and the noise has seem to have reduced to the point that it doesn't bother me or I can hardly hear it unless I go right up to it.
thanks
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero887 View Post
Thanks. Yeah it probably is too close to my bed like 2 metres away lol. I did what you suggested and got a new surge protector extension socket and the noise has seem to have reduced to the point that it doesn't bother me or I can hardly hear it unless I go right up to it.
thanks
Haha no worries! A decent surge protector does seem to do a good job of filtering that crap out. Plus, I always have my expensive electronics on a surge protector!

Have you found the adjuster switch on it too? There's a tiny switch on the back (under the removable panel, in the top corner) which changes the sound on whether it's in a corner, against a wall or in the open. Makes a massive difference.

Also - once you go B&O you won't go back! :P
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Gizmo22
macrumors regular

Quote:
...Buying B&O might seem ridiculously expensive, but, you will get some of the best engineering and quality I've ever experienced from a consumer product, and they hold their prices ridiculously well. That is a speaker you'll be able to use for 5-10 years, and sell for over half what you paid for it (and buying at 500, I'd be shocked if you got less than 400 for it years down the line).
I'd like to point out this will vary significantly based on where the buyer lives. If you are in a metropolitan area, perhaps. Rural Idaho? Unlikely. They do hold their value well to the right person, but you have to find a buyer, ideally local.

Not a large market segment for something this nice.
Gizmo22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:00 AM   #11
Hero887
macrumors member

Quote:
Haha no worries! A decent surge protector does seem to do a good job of filtering that crap out. Plus, I always have my expensive electronics on a surge protector!

Have you found the adjuster switch on it too? There's a tiny switch on the back (under the removable panel, in the top corner) which changes the sound on whether it's in a corner, against a wall or in the open. Makes a massive difference.

Also - once you go B&O you won't go back! :P
thanks yeah I found that switch. I changed it to corner since I have it on top of a chest of draws by a wall and a bookcase. Its made the sound more clear with less bass. I dunno which I prefer, will keep playing around.
thanks
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:54 PM   #12
alphabetagaga
macrumors member

questions for those Zeppelin air owners. if you stream music to this unit via iTunes or you phone, do you notice any drop in audio quality vs playing audio direct via a docked device? if the quality of streamed music is equal to that of a docked device then I can forget about buying a classic 7g!
alphabetagaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Hero887
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post
questions for those Zeppelin air owners. if you stream music to this unit via iTunes or you phone, do you notice any drop in audio quality vs playing audio direct via a docked device? if the quality of streamed music is equal to that of a docked device then I can forget about buying a classic 7g!
I read online that the quality drops slightly. On my Beosound 8 I have an airport express attached to it and I definitely notice a difference in sound quality compared to when I have my iphone docked on it. But maybe that is because via airport express it is not using the B&O DAC but the one in the airport express instead.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals