Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1676
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
All wounds on Z were on his face and head, no abrasions on his hands. (So you'll understand, he didn't punch M).
Or he didn't make contact. Or he couldn't land a solid punch. Or he was the aggressor and got his ass quickly kicked. The are multiple scenarios that account for the wounds. Seems you've got tunnel vision.

You can throw a punch to defend yourself, just as you can shoot someone to defend yourself.

Quote:
If you read it slow enough maybe you'll get it. If you didn't get it, try reading it again.
As I said, troll all you like, you won't get a rise.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:10 AM   #1677
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
Or he didn't make contact. Or he couldn't land a solid punch. Or he was the aggressor and got his ass quickly kicked. The are multiple scenarios that account for the wounds.

As I said, troll all you like, you won't get a rise.

Isn't calling me a troll against forum rules?

Why would Z through a punch anyway? Or why did he even call the cops?

When he was being "hunted down and shot like a dog" (though I don't know many who hunt dogs).

Last time I hunted down a black kid wearing a hoodie, and eating skittles I didn't call the police. I threw the kid in my van and took care of him Dexter style.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:33 AM   #1678
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why did M attack Z? Did he have something to hide? Did he feel threatened? I would find someone who is wandering around and in between houses on a cool rainy night a little suspicious too. If M was just walking home, he could have easily continued (it was what? 30 second walk away?). There was 13 minutes from the time Z called the police and the time M was killed.
Seriously, have you ever been tailed? At night? In an unfamiliar (somewhat) neighborhood? If some stranger is following me, should my first instinct be to go home, so that now that stranger will know where I live? Can you not see that tailing is in an of itself an aggressive act? If Martin's instinctive response to an aggressive act is (defensive) aggression, perhaps because of the environment he was growing up in, there is really no reason to think that how he acted was somehow "wrong".

But this,
wandering around and in between houses
now you are just MSU. Where ever did you get that nonsense? But even if it is correct, what I said above fits: if you are being followed, are you sure you want that person to know where you live?

You accuse other of ignoring possibilities while you yourself do exactly that.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:39 AM   #1679
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Seriously, have you ever been tailed? At night? In an unfamiliar (somewhat) neighborhood? If some stranger is following me, should my first instinct be to go home, so that now that stranger will know where I live? Can you not see that tailing is in an of itself an aggressive act? If Martin's instinctive response to an aggressive act is (defensive) aggression, perhaps because of the environment he was growing up in, there is really no reason to think that how he acted was somehow "wrong".
I'm sure if Martin had a concealed license and shot Zimmermann for tailing him that the argument would be vastly different and it would be Martin that would have ericrwalker defending him on the basis that he was under a perceived threat. As I said before I think his defense of Zimmermann is more about guns and shooting someone when threatened than it is about empathy for any individual in this case.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:43 AM   #1680
ericrwalker
Banned

You're right it's obvious Z was a racist who shot a kid for carrying skittles.

EDIT: and for "walking while black in a gated community. -REP Hank Johnson (D)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post

But this,
wandering around and in between houses
now you are just MSU. Where ever did you get that nonsense? But even if it is correct, what I said above fits: if you are being followed, are you sure you want that person to know where you live?

You accuse other of ignoring possibilities while you yourself do exactly that.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1681
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

While there hasn't been a lot of new information coming out recently, Zimmerman's/O'Mara's petition to have Judge Lester recused was granted today.

http://www.5dca.org/Clerk/George%20Z...12-3198.op.pdf

I have no idea who might be Judge #3 at this point.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1682
ericrwalker
Banned

Trial delay

Source
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1683
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvusCamenarum View Post
While there hasn't been a lot of new information coming out recently, Zimmerman's/O'Mara's petition to have Judge Lester recused was granted today.

http://www.5dca.org/Clerk/George%20Z...12-3198.op.pdf

I have no idea who might be Judge #3 at this point.
What the hell? Will this trial ever even happen?
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:23 PM   #1684
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Hopefully soon, poor George can't get on with his life until he's been found not guilty.
ericrwalker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1685
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hopefully soon, poor George can't get on with his life until he's been found not guilty.
Poor Trayvon can't get on with his life.....ever.
Moyank24 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1686
ericrwalker
Banned

Consequences of his own actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Poor Trayvon can't get on with his life.....ever.
ericrwalker is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:14 PM   #1687
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler
Maybe if Team Traydemark would stop stonewalling and turn over what's been asked of them, we can get down to business.

Quote:
Even if he is found not guilty, his life is pretty much over as it is. Just like with OJ (and Zimmerman doesn't have a football legacy and money in the bank to fall back on), no matter where he goes, there's always going to be a number of people who think he "got away with it". He's also probably unemployable now to boot, in any meaningful capacity.

In other news, he's suing NBC regarding their editing of the 911 tape. Source - NY Post
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1688
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvusCamenarum View Post
Even if he is found not guilty, his life is pretty much over as it is. Just like with OJ (and Zimmerman doesn't have a football legacy and money in the bank to fall back on), no matter where he goes, there's always going to be a number of people who think he "got away with it". He's also probably unemployable now to boot, in any meaningful capacity.

In other news, he's suing NBC regarding their editing of the 911 tape. Source - NY Post
nah, he'll go on the right wing lecture circuit earning piles of money talking about how badly he was treated for shooting a black kid eating skittles.......I bet both you and eric will buy his book!
Macky-Mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1689
ericrwalker
Banned

Well it's been 1 year since the shooting, for those who are waiting for the trial.

Jury selection to begin on June 10, with 500 potential jurors being summoned.

CNN posted a summary of events yesterday.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1690
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Well it's been 1 year since the shooting, for those who are waiting for the trial.

Jury selection to begin on June 10, with 500 potential jurors being summoned.

CNN posted a summary of events yesterday.
God it takes its sweet time to get to trial. Pretty unfair on the accused .
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1691
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
God it takes its sweet time to get to trial. Pretty unfair on the accused .

Zimmerman tried to get the trial delayed a couple of weeks ago.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:21 AM   #1692
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Interesting.

Quote:
Lawyers acting for George Zimmerman, who shot dead the unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin on a Florida housing estate, have abandoned their attempt to have his murder charge thrown out on the grounds of self-defence.

Neighbourhood watch leader Zimmerman, 29, had been expected to claim immunity from prosecution at a hearing in April under the state’s stand-your-ground law, which allows for the use of deadly force when a person feels their life is in danger.

But in a surprise move, his lawyer, Mark O’Mara, told a judge that the defence would take its chances at Zimmerman’s trial in June for second-degree murder. He said he still intended to pursue the argument that his client was acting in self-defence in February 2012 under a violent onslaught from 17-year-old Martin.

The unexpected decision changes the entire direction of a case that sparked racial tensions when Zimmerman was originally released without charge. The case also put America’s gun laws under the spotlight.

His fate will now almost certainly rest with a jury instead of circuit court judge, Debra Nelson, who could have thrown out the case at next month’s immunity hearing. It leaves the defendant at more risk of the minimum 25-year sentence that would follow a conviction.
Link
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1693
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

If your brother is going on trial for murder in a couple of months, might be a good idea to keep your mouth shut. He was on Real Time a few weeks ago and he seemed an OK guy although in a bit over his head.

Quote:
Robert Zimmerman, Jr., brother of Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman, continued his everything-including-the-racist-kitchen-sink PR offensive on behalf of his brother by repeatedly tweeting a photo comparison of the teenager his brother shot, and De’Marquise Elkins, the 17 year-old who has been detained in the murder of a Georgia infant. Both pictures feature the young men flipping the middle finger at the camera, with the caption “A picture speaks a thousand words…Any questions?”

Zimmerman has, thus far, tweeted the comparison to the Anthony half of Opie and Anthony, Michael Moore, the NAACP, and a Breitbart News editor, as well as the NRA. If Zimmerman’s point is that anyone who uses that gesture is a murderer, then they’re going to have to arrest the entire Garden State Parkway. If you suspect that wasn’t his point, you might be right.

Link
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:50 AM   #1694
iBlue
macrumors Core

Though not a news story I noticed this on reddit a couple days ago. A long history of assaulting at will then.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:26 AM   #1695
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlue View Post
Though not a news story I noticed this on reddit a couple days ago. A long history of assaulting at will then.

Some quick math suggest (assuming school really starts a 5 years in the US) that he was 15-16 and she was 13-14 when that happened.

Boys at that age are even more controlled by hormons than grown men so it comes at no suprise that he did have problems coming to full stop in that situation.

Sure was an ###hole back then, and he seems to still be one, it's just that those 2 facts don't have to be connected.
Bug-Creator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1696
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Looks like there will be no stand your ground hearing:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...round-hearing/

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1697
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Looks like there will be no stand your ground hearing:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...round-hearing/
All that means is that the jury will decide that. This dos not change his defense.
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1698
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
All that means is that the jury will decide that. This dos not change his defense.
I don't see why anyone would think it has anything to do with changing his defense. But the fact is there will be no SYG hearing before trial (as slim a chance that had in granting immunity).

Also, details of the wrongful death settlement for Martin's parents (against the home owners association) is to be given to the defense and prosecutors. The parents wanted it sealed.

Michael

Last edited by Tinmania; Apr 30, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1699
Huntn
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Interesting.

Link
You've seen that stand your ground law? I posted it last year (this thread? I'll have to look). It's stupid enough to say in so many words, you can go start a fight and when you end up getting your ass whipped, you can pull your gun and kill the person you started the fight with if you say you feared for your life. How many people out there can truly judge an ass whoop'n from life is in danger? How many people are smart enough to use the "life in danger" clause if they overreacted? For a legislature to put this kind of law into practice is a nightmare, emblematic of the general decline we are suffering as a nation. Idiot voters electing idiot leaders to produce idiotic laws... If you allowed to carry a gun, by God you should be allowed to use it.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1700
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

SYG was an extension of the castle doctrine.

But at this point it doesn't appear Zimmerman is going to use it: just plain self-defense.

It doesn't look like the door on SYG is completely closed though, as it is being reported he can still ask for a hearing on it after the trial begins. It would provide immunity from civil lawsuits.

Speaking of civil lawsuits, it seems that is partly why SYG laws came to be.

Michael

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues