Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:32 PM   #26
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Yes some would.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

People screamed for his blood too. Couldn't send him to Gitmo because this was pre-9/11.
But the point here is that both McVeigh and Nichols were residents/citizens, and as such, entitled to due process. BTW, Guantanamo existed will prior to 9/11, though not totally as a detention site.

So all of a sudden, despite being a resident and citizen, Tsarnaev isn't entitled to that? What if his name was Jason Neidler (I just made that name up, nothing significant about it)? Does it really have to come down to what is in a name?

Either way, the AP just reported that the White House re-issued a statement stating that Tsarnaev will not be treated as an enemy combatant, as well has officially charged, and as being charged, has been read his Miranda Rights.

Again, an over-reactive jaunt by a bloodthirsty Senator.

BL.
bradl is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:11 PM   #27
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
So how do you decide what to jurisdiction (city/county/state/fed) to charge someone under? Honest question.
Believe it or not, some things illegal at the state level do not also have a Federal statute against them. A good example is simple murder against an ordinary citizen. Timothy McVeigh was charged and convicted in Federal court of murdering Federal agents; the Federal court had no jurisdiction to charge him for the other victims. For those deaths, he would have been charged under Oklahoma law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
So all of a sudden, despite being a resident and citizen, Tsarnaev isn't entitled to that? What if his name was Jason Neidler (I just made that name up, nothing significant about it)? Does it really have to come down to what is in a name?
As I understand it, they're invoking an "imminent threat" clause to avoid reading him his Miranda rights, presumably to find out whether there are any other bombs anywhere, any plans by any of his associates to carry out any more terroristic acts, etc. None of this means that he doesn't actually have those rights, simply that they're not going to encourage him to use them.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:18 PM   #28
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post

Terrorist acts do harm the nation.
But your definition says it has to be furthering the interests of another nation. This is clearly not furthering the interests of either Dagestan or Chechnya.
skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:34 PM   #29
zioxide
macrumors 603

This guy should just shut his mouth and let the people who's job it is to do this do their jobs.

What's up with senators trying to stick their nose into everything lately? It's not like they have a job they should be doing or anything.
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:40 PM   #30
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
This guy should just shut his mouth and let the people who's job it is to do this do their jobs.

What's up with senators trying to stick their nose into everything lately? It's not like they have a job they should be doing or anything.
Got him lots of airtime, and media attention...no?

Quote:
There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary.....Brendan Behan
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:07 PM   #31
Huntn
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
But your definition says it has to be furthering the interests of another nation. This is clearly not furthering the interests of either Dagestan or Chechnya.
Valid point. Whether we want to execute him for a terrorist act, treason and murder, the end result will be the same. As a rule I don't support Capital Punishment.

Last edited by Huntn; Apr 23, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:33 PM   #32
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Valid point. Whether we want to execute him for a terrorist act, treason and murder, the end result will be the same. As a rule I don't support Capital Punishment.
As a rule? How very indefinite of you.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 02:09 PM   #33
mcrain
Banned

The guy was shot in the mouth, the bullet exited the back of his neck. He's going to be very popular in prison.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 02:24 PM   #34
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
The guy was shot in the mouth, the bullet exited the back of his neck. He's going to be very popular in prison.
If. I say IF he survives my guess would be in a special prison for these types.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 02:27 PM   #35
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
If. I say IF he survives my guess would be in a special prison for these types.
Although total speculation on my part, my guess is wherever he goes, he will spend his time in Segregation, not General Population...where his life expectancy would be measured in seconds.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:48 PM   #36
Huntn
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
As a rule? How very indefinite of you.
Yes, if you ask me about capital punishment, I'm against it. Just leaving a crack for consideration purposes.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:32 PM   #37
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 04:23 PM   #38
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Believe it or not, some things illegal at the state level do not also have a Federal statute against them. A good example is simple murder against an ordinary citizen. Timothy McVeigh was charged and convicted in Federal court of murdering Federal agents; the Federal court had no jurisdiction to charge him for the other victims. For those deaths, he would have been charged under Oklahoma law.

As I understand it, they're invoking an "imminent threat" clause to avoid reading him his Miranda rights, presumably to find out whether there are any other bombs anywhere, any plans by any of his associates to carry out any more terroristic acts, etc. None of this means that he doesn't actually have those rights, simply that they're not going to encourage him to use them.
What's funny, is that conservatives often quote statements regarding liberty, and that liberty should not be sacrificed for safety.

Yet in cases like this, they're willing to have liberty be thrown out the window for "safety".

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 06:21 PM   #39
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
...they're willing to have liberty be thrown out the window for "safety".
I don't know whom you're talking about. He wasn't denied any of his rights; he just wasn't informed of them. As I understand it, if he were to have spoken up about any other hypothetical devices, that information could not have been used against him. In the end, I suppose they felt as if they had enough evidence to convict him on the Marathon bombings.
Old May 4, 2013, 08:33 PM   #40
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
I don't know whom you're talking about.
The "rights" being referred to were probably not his miranda rights since he has in fact been mirandized after being formally changed. However if he was sent to Cuba as an enemy combatant he would be deprived of rights to a trial and such which he gets as an American citizen. That is what Graham wants.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues