Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radixi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Mavericks brings OpenCL support to Intel HD 4000 and 5000. Has anyone with such GPU tried Final Cut Pro X or other OpenCL compatible apps or benchmarks? Is there an increase in performance? It would be cool if Mavericks made MacBook Airs and 13 inch Pros better for video editing.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Mavericks brings OpenCL support to Intel HD 4000 and 5000.
Actually I was looking for verification that this was true.
Has anyone with such GPU tried Final Cut Pro X or other OpenCL compatible apps or benchmarks? Is there an increase in performance?
Obviously I haven't. However wouldn't software require an update to make use of the Intel OpenCL resources?
It would be cool if Mavericks made MacBook Airs and 13 inch Pros better for video editing.

Well better is relative. I've actually have held off buying hardware waiting to see what when and how OpenCL comes to Intel on Apples Mac OS/X. Without such support I might as well save dollars for a discrete GPU based machine.

It is interesting though that Intel is doing so well with compute. Of course you really can't trust the site linked to so we have to wait for real world results.

radixi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Actually I was looking for verification that this was true.
It is confirmed in the WWDC 2013 session called Working with OpenCL. Unfortunately it cannot be viewed on Apple's site without being a developer, but you can find it with Google.

Obviously I haven't. However wouldn't software require an update to make use of the Intel OpenCL resources?
I don't know.

Well better is relative. I've actually have held off buying hardware waiting to see what when and how OpenCL comes to Intel on Apples Mac OS/X. Without such support I might as well save dollars for a discrete GPU based machine.

It is interesting though that Intel is doing so well with compute. Of course you really can't trust the site linked to so we have to wait for real world results.
In the WWDC session it is shown that with integrated GPU the data transfer times from host to OpenCL device and back are faster than with discrete GPU. On the other hand discrete GPU is faster at computing. This faster transfer time probably makes Intel integrated GPUs good at OpenCL.

neuronin

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Which benchmark are you all looking at?

I just downloaded luxmark.
I have a macbook air with intel hd 5000 with mavericks.

neuronin

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Hi all,

Not done in any scientific way but here are the results running luxmark:
Complex - gpu only - 75
Complex - cpu + gpu - 153
Medium - gpu only - 255
Medium - cpu + gpu - 352
Simple - gpu only - 1960
Simple - cpu + gpu - 2251

How do these compare to a retina macbook pro (last generation) with discrete graphics?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.