Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Check out freedompop dot com. You can get a mobile hotspot device (you pay a refundable deposit for the device) and you can get a gig of 4G data free every month. I did that to make my iPod Touch like an iPhone.

US only? Is it the same for Canada?

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
US only? Is it the same for Canada?

I'm not sure, i'm a US customer. If you are in Canada, you will find out if it's available to you when you register. I believe they use Sprints data network.

westgorge

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Skype (for me)

I use Skype when I travel.....and, I have been all over the world, including cruise ships. Works perfect. You won't always get the wifi speeds necessary to include video. But, I've never had a problem with voice. I also have a Skype number from my home area code. That number follows me everywhere and I get calls no matter where I am. Also, I only travel with my iPad. It's the only device I need to travel with.

Last edited:

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I'm not sure, i'm a US customer. If you are in Canada, you will find out if it's available to you when you register. I believe they use Sprints data network.

I don't see any "register" button on the website. I see only "login" and when I click on it, I don't see anything to register.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I don't need an iPhone, I don't really call. I'm calling like maximum 3 times per week, that's almost nothing, compared, I can pay 200$ for an outdated iPhone 4S plus 50$ per month, or, an iPod Touch 300$ and paying like 15$ a year, compared I'm currently paying 25$ month for a cheap NOKIA phone...
I'll try to find the best app for light calling on my iPod.

How is an iPhone 4s any more outdated than the 5th gen touch? And who said you had to have a contract with the iPhone? Just use the same voip apps. You're being too short sighted.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Don't do this. I've used a 4th gen iPod touch for 2 years, but I always carried a (now cheap) Sony Ericsson k800 for calls and texting. It's invaluable. The iPod touch is nice but doesn't even come close to an iPhone in terms of real-world cell data and calling functionality. You want to go on Twitter while on the subway (or any place that doesn't have free wifi), or check live scores, email, imessage, etc...you can't. My phone used to get 3G but it was just a dumbphone. My iPod touch is hopeless anywhere there isn't WiFi (which is frequent).

I finally got an iPhone 5 this year and couldn't be more satisfied. Having a data plan and a cell line that's always available is great. I can do anything that requires Internet (that doesn't suck up my data plan, obviously) and still call people from anywhere.

If you don't have the money to get the iPhone 5, I recommend getting a 4S. If you're picky because it's 'outdated' (trust me, it's not - I would pick a 4S over a ipod 5G any day), get a Nexus 4. $349 for 16 GB and you get one of the best Android phones available that's way more powerful than the iPhone 4S/4 and works beautifully (and if you use Tasker, you can automate practically anything).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Check out freedompop dot com. You can get a mobile hotspot device (you pay a refundable deposit for the device) and you can get a gig of 4G data free every month. I did that to make my iPod Touch like an iPhone.

I tether my mobile to my iPod touch 5G so I always have a connection. My service provider has an app which allows me to make calls and send sms messages on my iPod touch and it comes out of my contracted minutes. So I can use my iPod touch as a phone quite easily.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
In canada, there is an app called fongo. It will give you a canadien phone number and you can buy credits for international calls--2 cents a minute to usa. I set it up tonight and it lookd promising. Currently paying $90 as an american living in Canada. Also--the ipod touch 5 is a great device

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
If you have Skype working in the background then you will be notified that someone is calling, also you don't even have to have it running but you have to be on the Internet. Another's thing is that you can call somebody's cellphone and voice talk.:)

manyplatforms

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
I have done this.
It works fine at my office/home with my iPod 2nd gen.
The 2nd Gen does not have a mic, so you must use a headset with a mic.

The parities I call tell me I sound better on my iPod with VOIP than I do on my phones. I have a Windows Phone (Nokia), a BlackBerry, and an LG Optimus Elite for Android. I had a 4s iPhone that I sold.

Here is the thing. I use the GV Phone app. I have a Google Voice number. The app works well on my iPod. Incoming and Outgoing are great. As long as you have decent Wifi.

If you are going to be out and about without Wifi, you need a cell phone. Period.

A friend of mine only uses his iPod with Google Voice, and carries a verizon Wifi Hotspot in his pocket. If you want to do this, then you are good to go. He loves it, because he can use a laptop or tablet, or his iPod. He calls worldwide and only pays 50 bucks a month.

When I am in my office or home, I only use my iPod for calling, it works great for me.

my 3 cents worth. Mileage may vary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.