Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I'm still in two minds about cutting the cord this winter, when my contract with DirecTV expires. I know I'm ditching them, but the rest of it comes down to going with OTA plus subscriptions or additional DVD/BD purchases, or seeing if Verizon (who already handles my Internet) will cut me a good enough deal to switch to them for the near term.

With any of the satellite/cable companies, the real hidden cost is the equipment - $10-$20 per month per set-top box in addition to the service rates adds up quickly. So, I'm looking hard at the SiliconDust idea - the CableCard version due out this winter/early spring plus my plans for a proper home theater network that I'm doing in any event means I would need no Verizon equipment rental except $5/mo. for a single CableCard. My big question will be if I can eventually use the CableCard model with an OTA feed in the longer term.

Because the flip side of the subscription model is that it isn't fully there, yet. The content providers have yet to really embrace the individual subscription model, much of which reluctance may be driven by existing contracts with service providers rather than lack of desire or competence.

ddelmonte

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
When cutting the cord, where do you get internet access?

I understand the need to keep bills down. I have, so far, kept Comcast, but only for internet and basic cable. When people talk about cutting the cord, how do you get your access? Is free access wifi ready?

Great thread, and interesting discussion!!

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I understand the need to keep bills down. I have, so far, kept Comcast, but only for internet and basic cable. When people talk about cutting the cord, how do you get your access? Is free access wifi ready?

Great thread, and interesting discussion!!

That's exactly what I have from Comcast, which is why the savings won't be as drastic. It looks like I'll be getting an external antenna for network TV (which is all I really watch anyway, besides TBS which is now gone for me)

I can watch most shows online on CBS the day after the air. One week with the apps (for some reason)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I have Verizon FIOS, and if I were to cut the TV part, the cost of the internet part would go up so much that it would cost about the same. They don't want you to cut TV out. They are afraid that more people will cut TV service (which is high profit to Verizon, especially if you use pay-per-view) and just go internet only and dump phone as well.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I have Verizon FIOS, and if I were to cut the TV part, the cost of the internet part would go up so much that it would cost about the same. They don't want you to cut TV out. They are afraid that more people will cut TV service (which is high profit to Verizon, especially if you use pay-per-view) and just go internet only and dump phone as well.

And I'm approaching it from the other end - I have FIOS internet already, and think I could probably just add on TV for a fairly low cost (especially by not renting tuners/DVRs), using a 2-year contract to lock in lower prices and to let the technology and industry catch up to the more pay-as-you-go model that most of us seem to want.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I had asked Comcast in the spring, and finally the internet only was cheaper than the internet/basic bundle. It's never been a huge price difference either way, but it seemed silly to pay more for a single item than two at the time. Still does, so I hope it's still less.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
If only there was a way around sports

except for NFL you can buy streaming access for all the big US sports, but local team blackouts apply

----------

I'm still in two minds about cutting the cord this winter, when my contract with DirecTV expires. I know I'm ditching them, but the rest of it comes down to going with OTA plus subscriptions or additional DVD/BD purchases, or seeing if Verizon (who already handles my Internet) will cut me a good enough deal to switch to them for the near term.

With any of the satellite/cable companies, the real hidden cost is the equipment - $10-$20 per month per set-top box in addition to the service rates adds up quickly. So, I'm looking hard at the SiliconDust idea - the CableCard version due out this winter/early spring plus my plans for a proper home theater network that I'm doing in any event means I would need no Verizon equipment rental except $5/mo. for a single CableCard. My big question will be if I can eventually use the CableCard model with an OTA feed in the longer term.

Because the flip side of the subscription model is that it isn't fully there, yet. The content providers have yet to really embrace the individual subscription model, much of which reluctance may be driven by existing contracts with service providers rather than lack of desire or competence.

time warner has cablecard for $2.50 per month and samsung has a $140 box just for this.

boomdog

macrumors regular
except for NFL you can buy streaming access for all the big US sports, but local team blackouts apply

----------

time warner has cablecard for $2.50 per month and samsung has a $140 box just for this.

Sorry, should have specified, I'm from the uk so looking for premiership and Spanish football, bit of F1 and golf would be nice too.

I've heard Apple TV is pretty pointless in the uk too

wakanasakai

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
This new model is entirely dependent on the broadband pipes owned by your local cable or phone provider, both of which like their video subscription business revenues "as is" now. In other words, if the masses adapt this "replace my cable bill" model, the owners of the pipes on which the replacement entirely depends will just make up for the revenues through higher broadband rates.

I know that what I'm quoting (& responding to) is pretty early in this topic, but I didn't even know that this whole site even existed until today when I registered here. Anyway, to respond to the above quote, HobeSoundDarryl, you make it sound as if cable service providers (& presumably satellite service providers too, since this topic started off with including them in it's name/discussion) might jack up their prices. I question the "if-ness" of that assumption.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
And how does this work?

nhl and mlb are the easiest, just signup and use a smart vpn like unblock us or unotelly to avoid blackouts. nfl and nba are best to get international subscriptions too. i use ilp for nba, and then use hotspot shield as a vpn to circumvent blackouts (smart vpns dont work for nba on ipad) and for nfl i use a uk itunes account to get the nfl gamepass app and use that to watch nfl

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I know that what I'm quoting (& responding to) is pretty early in this topic, but I didn't even know that this whole site even existed until today when I registered here. Anyway, to respond to the above quote, HobeSoundDarryl, you make it sound as if cable service providers (& presumably satellite service providers too, since this topic started off with including them in it's name/discussion) might jack up their prices. I question the "if-ness" of that assumption.

My apologies for the lack of conviction in my suggestion. Change "might" to "will" and that should better clarify what I'm saying will happen.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013

I'm not even sure TWC is an option in my area, plus, the main reason for Verizon is they have hands-down the best internet service in my area. (A reason I'm not even considering Comcast is hearing stories from acquaintances about their poor internet.)

I absolutely refuse to buy a Samsung consumer product of any kind - I know I can't avoid parts made by Samsung, but I won't buy anything with their label on it. Besides, the Silicon Dust is more than just a tuner, it natively transcodes into H.264 on the fly (at least the newer ones do - the older ones are in the same price ballbark as the Samsung anyway).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
We're in a pretty good metro area so I don't think the antenna will be an issue. Though I think I read on that forum posted here that bigger was better.
Go to antennaweb.org, enter your address and it will help you figure out what kind of antenna you need. Bigger can be worse, if you are close to the transmitters.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I would love to drop Comcast but unfortunately the other half would not go along. We are in a HOA like most residences in Florida and basic Comcast is included in our HOA fees so no way to completely cut it off. We do pay $29 for digital preferred with HBO and I have 1 cablecard which is free for the first one. Using the Tivo Roamio and Tivo minis I have a 6 tuner setup at no additional fee beyond the $29 for the digital preferred w/HBO.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I had asked Comcast in the spring, and finally the internet only was cheaper than the internet/basic bundle. It's never been a huge price difference either way, but it seemed silly to pay more for a single item than two at the time. Still does, so I hope it's still less.

Comcast doesn't want you to have Internet only, they really stick it to you, but cutting the (coax) cord means you now have to rely on Internet.

This would only work if you have a cheaper Internet alternative in your neighborhood. DSL, if available is usually cheaper, but you have to do research whatever real-speed they are giving you is acceptable. You can always try it without cutting the cable first, and if ur not happy, just go never mind.

Delmar

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Texas
nhl and mlb are the easiest, just signup and use a smart vpn like unblock us or unotelly to avoid blackouts. nfl and nba are best to get international subscriptions too. i use ilp for nba, and then use hotspot shield as a vpn to circumvent blackouts (smart vpns dont work for nba on ipad) and for nfl i use a uk itunes account to get the nfl gamepass app and use that to watch nfl

Thank you for explaining this, very helpful.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I dealt with this by leaving Fios and going with Comcast (I'm fortunate enough to have both available).

Fios wanted 55-70 dollars a month for Internet only, depending on speed. Comcast was offering Fios 55 dollar speed for 25 dollars. So it was a no brainer.

I'm very happy with my decision. Between HBO go (my subscription from another house), Hulu plus, netflix and Crunchyroll I can keep myself very well entertained. Plus if you find some good channels on YouTube with common interest (mostly guns and science for me) there is an endless supply of good TV that's updated faster then you can watch it.

Edit: I just basically said I was into gun, anime and science. This should be my sign....

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Not being able to watch certain NFL games (KC Chiefs) out here on the West Coast (USA) was the big sacrifice for me when we cut the cord. Then I found a sports bar/restaurant that airs a lot of different games in different areas of the eatery. Eating out when the Chiefs are on is most definitely cheaper than paying through the nose for DirecTV and NFL Season Ticket each year. I always found myself complaining that we had over 200 channels, but nothing worth watching was on (except TDC, THC, NatGeo, etc).

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Not being able to watch certain NFL games (KC Chiefs) out here on the West Coast (USA) was the big sacrifice for me when we cut the cord. Then I found a sports bar/restaurant that airs a lot of different games in different areas of the eatery. Eating out when the Chiefs are on is most definitely cheaper than paying through the nose for DirecTV and NFL Season Ticket each year. I always found myself complaining that we had over 200 channels, but nothing worth watching was on (except TDC, THC, NatGeo, etc).

adfreetime or unblock us with a nfl gamepass subscription will get you any game every weekend

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.