Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmminx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
I've run into a strange (and very frustrating) problem with my iPod Touch.

All of a sudden, as soon as it's turned on, it's selecting apps and then clicking on options within those apps even though the screen is not being touched. For instance, I'll turn it on and the Mail app will launch by itself, then it'll select inbox, then it'll open the message at the top of the screen. Just now, I clicked on the Facebook app myself, but then took my finger off the screen -- it opened the box to update my status. It's happening with other apps too.

I restored the iPod to factory settings, hoping that would help, but the problem remains. As it stands, my iPod is basically useless, since it keeps doing its own thing even when I'm trying to use it.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Is there anything else I can do?

(And yes, I know, it's hilarious that my iPod has become possessed on Halloween. But, actually, it started doing this last night.)

dougxxii

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
mine is doing the same thing

after dropping in water- did you ever solve your problem? thanks for any advice. dougxxii

metalhead777

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
California
I've run into a strange (and very frustrating) problem with my iPod Touch.

All of a sudden, as soon as it's turned on, it's selecting apps and then clicking on options within those apps even though the screen is not being touched. For instance, I'll turn it on and the Mail app will launch by itself, then it'll select inbox, then it'll open the message at the top of the screen. Just now, I clicked on the Facebook app myself, but then took my finger off the screen -- it opened the box to update my status. It's happening with other apps too.

I restored the iPod to factory settings, hoping that would help, but the problem remains. As it stands, my iPod is basically useless, since it keeps doing its own thing even when I'm trying to use it.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Is there anything else I can do?

(And yes, I know, it's hilarious that my iPod has become possessed on Halloween. But, actually, it started doing this last night.)

Could you specify your iPod Touch please? Generation, how long you've had it, and if anything's happened to it?
Although this is my theory, your iPod Touch could be getting hacked, but I highly doubt that. Unless it's jailbroken. :) Is it under warranty? I would take a trip to the Apple Store with it and have them figure out what's wrong with it. :D :apple:

beautifulrayne

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Same problem!!

ok so i have the same problem. i got a first generation ipod when it first came out and it worked great. two months after i had it, i had fried it when my friend thru me in a snowbank with it in my back pocket. i put it in a jar of rice and it worked fine. about 6 months later my wifi button greyed out and wouldnt work...so i restored it like 5 times and it hasnt done that since. it is now about a year and 3 months since i friend my ipod. it had worked fine til now. now only the bottom section of my screen is messed up. it will open things and touch things on its own. ive learned to keep my finger on the screen til i click something then put my finger back on the screen to stop it from touching anything. this is really annoying and i wish to fix this problem. restoring it doesnt work. i even talked to my tech teacher at school and he hasnt a clue. i had a warranty but that only lasted a year and so my warranty is up. i tried to call the apple store and since my warranty is up they wont even try to help me. i wish i could help you solve the problem but i cant. im looking for a sloution too. just know that people out there are having the same problem. but damn its so frustrating

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.