Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Hello, my girlfriend is looking into buying her first Mac, mainly for university.

She won't be doing anything intensive on it, just word processing, powerpoint, iPhoto, iTunes, Mail, YouTube and general web surfing.

Is it worth buying the baseline Mac mini now, or should she wait for the 2013 refresh? She doesn't need it urgently, however, it would be good for her to get used to it. I'm guessing the Haswell chip won't make much of a difference for what she'll be using it for, will it?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I'd say the current one is fine. I'd shoot for a Fusion Drive and RAM though...it would improve performance much more than a slightly faster processor would.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I'd say the current one is fine. I'd shoot for a Fusion Drive and RAM though...it would improve performance much more than a slightly faster processor would.

Fusion Drive isn't an option on the baseline model. I'll see how the RAM is before I upgrade it.

In the future, if needed, I can add extra RAM and an SSD etc.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Fusion Drive isn't an option on the baseline model. I'll see how the RAM is before I upgrade it.

In the future, if needed, I can add extra RAM and an SSD etc.

Get the base model and see how well it works. My 2012 runs 10.8 fine with 4GB RAM. Does all the tasks you describe and never beach balls. SSDs are nice but certainly not nessissary for a good experience.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If that....

2013 refresh occur and Haswell is coupled with better integrated graphics, that would help in power comsumption and better graphics. Otherwise, the 2012 with more RAM (you can upgrade it aftermarket) would do the trick....

:):apple:

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
She won't be doing anything intensive on it, just word processing, powerpoint, iPhoto, iTunes, Mail, YouTube and general web surfing.

That describes what my sister does on her 2007 Macbook.

The base mini will be fine.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Get the base model and see how well it works. My 2012 runs 10.8 fine with 4GB RAM. Does all the tasks you describe and never beach balls. SSDs are nice but certainly not nessissary for a good experience.

Personally, after using an SSD for awhile, my standards for "good" have changed radically. HDDs just are so painfully slow in comparison.

Last edited:

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
That describes what my sister does on her 2007 Macbook.

The base mini will be fine.

I do more intense work than that on my '08 Macbook so...yeah.

And on the SSD comments, it's not a necessity but that or the Fusion drive are relatively inexpensive upgrades over the life of the machine that make your day to day operations a much more pleasant experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.