Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:20 PM   #4351
pgrif
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davg View Post
MLPF that I have will not make an installer for 10.8.5 only up to 10.8.4 is there a newer version? How do you use Tiamos boot.efi? I was hoping to try 10.8.5 just to see if file share was working?? What did you use to install 10.8.5? and did you by any chance try file share?
there is a stand-alone upgrader for 10.8.5. I went from .3 to .5 with it. Using Tiamos boot is complicated, I can't type well enough to describe it's use.In 10.8.5 hardly anything was working, including file sharing, wifi, DVD player.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:49 PM   #4352
davg
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumer View Post
Even tho the installer says it patches up to 8.4 it will patch 8.5. When i used MLPF filesharing with 10.8.5 it worked fine the issue was wifi for me. With different systems it seems that some things work better than others. Mine being a macpro 1.1.

I'm curious to try 10.8.3 but I can't seem to find it and i've also read that some people had issues with that build.

The Tiamo boot EFI is whats being used in SFOTT I believe. It's discussed in the Yosemite on unsupported macs forum.

A new update/ app to help install on unsupported macs is coming this Friday or on the weekend.

P.S there's also pikers method I think it'll work for ML. You can choose either the grey or black EFI boot screen

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740775
Thanks sumer Using mlpf and ml 10.8.5 it do install but in system info it shows 10.8.4 because that is the one selected so is it 10.8.5 or 10.8.4?? No matter I have tried it and it is no different than 10.8.4 some differences in the install but file share still don't work??
davg is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:02 PM   #4353
sumer
macrumors member

Quote:
Thanks sumer Using mlpf and ml 10.8.5 it do install but in system info it shows 10.8.4 because that is the one selected so is it 10.8.5 or 10.8.4?? No matter I have tried it and it is no different than 10.8.4 some differences in the install but file share still don't work??
it's 10.8.5. You just need to change the plist 10.8.4 info in core services system version plist to 10.8.5.

I remember with me that filesharing with MLPF only worked one way. It only saw the connecting comp from the unsupported mac the other comp couldn't see anything. So are you trying to connect to another mac or a windows comp. I believe the SMB side of things is borked but AFP should work. When you turn on filesharing in system prefs does the little green dot turn on and does it show an ip address?
sumer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:02 AM   #4354
davg
macrumors newbie

Quote:
it's 10.8.5. You just need to change the plist 10.8.4 info in core services system version plist to 10.8.5.

I remember with me that filesharing with MLPF only worked one way. It only saw the connecting comp from the unsupported mac the other comp couldn't see anything. So are you trying to connect to another mac or a windows comp. I believe the SMB side of things is borked but AFP should work. When you turn on filesharing in system prefs does the little green dot turn on and does it show an ip address?
Thanks sumer I assume the change has to be done before the install?? Yes file share will turn on I do see my computer but when I try to connect I get a connection failed. I am using a windows based desktop for storage and backup and have no problem accessing it with my ATV or any other computer on my network even my macbook running lion I am satisfied with only one way as long as I can access and save to my desktop?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:15 AM   #4355
sumer
macrumors member

Quote:
Thanks sumer I assume the change has to be done before the install?? Yes file share will turn on I do see my computer but when I try to connect I get a connection failed. I am using a windows based desktop for storage and backup and have no problem accessing it with my ATV or any other computer on my network even my macbook running lion I am satisfied with only one way as long as I can access and save to my desktop?
The change is done after the install.just search this forum for the correct instructions. As for the SMB issue I remember reading some stuff on it in this forum as well. Once again do a quick search. I'll try and locate the info as well.

Cheers
Old Mar 27, 2015, 07:36 AM   #4356
davg
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The change is done after the install.just search this forum for the correct instructions. As for the SMB issue I remember reading some stuff on it in this forum as well. Once again do a quick search. I'll try and locate the info as well.

Cheers
Thanks again sumer that do work just a matter of duplicating the .plist file editing it and saving the file with the same file name than copy, paste and replace the file in core services. I took an update right after and had to run mlpf again so I edited the plist doc in the installer before reinstalling mlpf patches. Now if I can get my file share to work would be great???
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:07 AM   #4357
sumer
macrumors member

Quote:
Thanks again sumer that do work just a matter of duplicating the .plist file editing it and saving the file with the same file name than copy, paste and replace the file in core services. I took an update right after and had to run mlpf again so I edited the plist doc in the installer before reinstalling mlpf patches. Now if I can get my file share to work would be great???
I would stay way from the apple security update. The other app store updates should be fine tho. I know file sharing is being worked on.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:49 AM   #4358
davg
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I would stay way from the apple security update. The other app store updates should be fine tho. I know file sharing is being worked on.
The update worked fine after re applying the patches?? I trust in your knowledge keeping my fingers crossed for file share in mountain lion.
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #4359
pgrif
macrumors regular

19.8.5 dmg

I found that by double clicking on a 10.8.5 dmg file I got a 10.8.5 App. I used it to install with MLPF and so far everything seems to work. Didn't try iMessage or Facetime but file sharing and Wifi work as does sound and youtube and DVD player. No screen tearing .

Last edited by pgrif; Today at 10:35 AM.
pgrif is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #4360
sumer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrif View Post
I found that by double clicking on a 10.8.5 dmg file I got a 10.8.5 App. I used it to install with MLPF and so far everything seems to work. Didn't try iMessage or Facetime but file sharing and Wifi work as does sound and youtube and DVD player. No screen tearing .
Did you drop the app in the applications folder? Usually if it's the disk image the app size is 40mb whereas the actually .app from the app store is over 4 gigs.

Glad everything is working. I had to call apple to get Imessage working. i wouldn't mention your running ML just give them the code imessage shows u and they'll unblock things on their end.

Cheers

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion