Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:12 AM   #151
applelover4u
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmandp View Post
One of the guys came in not to enquire about jailbreaking but he was asking for advice about whether he should upgrade his phone to an iPhone 4 with a cracked screen because somebody he knows was selling him an iPhone 4 with a cracked screen for $40. While they were talking he casually said "Oh I will be in Monday for the jailbreak"

If this guy is seriously considering buying an iPhone with a cracked screen I highly doubt he's going to be plopping down $15 for Mywi.
ur logic makes no sense at all... do others agree?
applelover4u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:51 AM   #152
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by applelover4u View Post
ur logic makes no sense at all... do others agree?
How does it not make sense? How many jailbreakers that install all kinds of tweaks and themes are using a 3 year old phone with a badly cracked screen?
guitarmandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:19 PM   #153
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfy View Post
Where have you collected the data from to draw that conclusion?
I have to personally collect the data for any statements I make? It's pretty obvious that piracy is rampant in general. It's extremely hard to pirate apps when Apple has locked down the device. It doesn't take scientific data to figure out this out. It doesn't take a genius either. It certainly takes more than someone like you to figure it out.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:59 PM   #154
applelover4u
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
I have to personally collect the data for any statements I make? It's pretty obvious that piracy is rampant in general. It's extremely hard to pirate apps when Apple has locked down the device. It doesn't take scientific data to figure out this out. It doesn't take a genius either. It certainly takes more than someone like you to figure it out.
Piracy is not rampant. Apple app store had over 40 billion downloads and 2012 and apple has paid out BILLIONS to app developers for their sales. Sounds to me piracy s not hurting sales
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:15 PM   #155
elfy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you're going to throw figures around to back up your statements then yes, you should have some kind of data to that effect, otherwise it's just your (pretty meaningless) opinion.
elfy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:57 PM   #156
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Piracy is not rampant. Apple app store had over 40 billion downloads and 2012 and apple has paid out BILLIONS to app developers for their sales. Sounds to me piracy s not hurting sales
Legal sales does NOT mean piracy is not rampant. How do you even come to that conclusion?
NovemberWhiskey is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:35 PM   #157
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
That means since there are thousands of cars being sold, there must be no car theft. Or since Apple sells billions of products, there must be zero theft at their stores. Or since there are billions of people in the world, there must be zero deaths. Piracy hurting sales or not versus piracy or not is VERY DIFFERENT. I don't give a rat's behind if piracy hurts sales or not. Is piracy occurring? Yes or no? YES. And we can all agree jailbreaks AT THE VERY LEAST make it easier for people to access pirated apps.

Quote:
If you're going to throw figures around to back up your statements then yes, you should have some kind of data to that effect, otherwise it's just your (pretty meaningless) opinion.
Yup, you hit the nail on the head. Your post is pretty meaningless. Good job to contributing something positive to this forum. My post on the other hand, is the exact opposite of yours.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:29 PM   #158
applelover4u
macrumors newbie

Quote:
That means since there are thousands of cars being sold, there must be no car theft. Or since Apple sells billions of products, there must be zero theft at their stores. Or since there are billions of people in the world, there must be zero deaths. Piracy hurting sales or not versus piracy or not is VERY DIFFERENT. I don't give a rat's behind if piracy hurts sales or not. Is piracy occurring? Yes or no? YES. And we can all agree jailbreaks AT THE VERY LEAST make it easier for people to access pirated apps.

Yup, you hit the nail on the head. Your post is pretty meaningless. Good job to contributing something positive to this forum. My post on the other hand, is the exact opposite of yours.

1st

I said piracy is NOT rampant like the person who I responded to said. There is piracy but it is not rampant and out of control the devs who cry piracy apps suck point blank so they make excuses

2nd
Apple has paid out around 7 billion total to devs

Apple Has Paid Out $7 Billion/€5.3 Billion to Developers

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple...s-319051.shtml

A dev team sold 100 Million in sales in 2012. pretty sure they are eating good!

->"In 2012, the husband and wife team at Imangi Studios saw their game Temple Run downloaded more than 75 million times;

Backflip Studios and Supercell, two emerging game development studios, brought in over $100 million combined for their leading freemium titles DragonVale and Clash of Clans; and emerging services including Uber, Flipboard, HotelTonight, and AirBnB attracted millions of users on iOS."

Just like the movie industry who said piracy was hurting them but they have a record breaking year in sales last year in 2012
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:48 PM   #159
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmandp View Post
One of the guys came in not to enquire about jailbreaking but he was asking for advice about whether he should upgrade his phone to an iPhone 4 with a cracked screen because somebody he knows was selling him an iPhone 4 with a cracked screen for $40. While they were talking he casually said "Oh I will be in Monday for the jailbreak"

If this guy is seriously considering buying an iPhone with a cracked screen I highly doubt he's going to be plopping down $15 for Mywi.
Just because he's buying a $40 phone doesn't mean he wouldn't spend $15 for MyWi. But, I doubt he has unlimited data. Since you know, he's trying to save money.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:26 AM   #160
elfy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Haha. Like arguing with a child. "No, YOUR post is meaningless!!!"

I'll leave you to it mate.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:50 AM   #161
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

Quote:
1st

I said piracy is NOT rampant like the person who I responded to said. There is piracy but it is not rampant and out of control the devs who cry piracy apps suck point blank so they make excuses

2nd
Apple has paid out around 7 billion total to devs

Apple Has Paid Out $7 Billion/€5.3 Billion to Developers

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple...s-319051.shtml

A dev team sold 100 Million in sales in 2012. pretty sure they are eating good!

->"In 2012, the husband and wife team at Imangi Studios saw their game Temple Run downloaded more than 75 million times;

Backflip Studios and Supercell, two emerging game development studios, brought in over $100 million combined for their leading freemium titles DragonVale and Clash of Clans; and emerging services including Uber, Flipboard, HotelTonight, and AirBnB attracted millions of users on iOS."

Just like the movie industry who said piracy was hurting them but they have a record breaking year in sales last year in 2012
lol, it's a simple concept, you are just in denial:

Just because people are "eating well" as you so put it, doesn't mean piracy doesn't exist, and it doesn't mean you are not infringing on their intellectual property and eating at what should be their revenues.

Please don't try any moral arguments about how Hollywood owes you Harry Potter for free, or how developers owe you your games. You aren't downloading bread and water for your starving family.

If you don't like their products, then don't consume them. If you want to pirate them, then that is your own choice and I offer you no moral guidance.

The ONLY problem that I have is when people deny ANY wrongdoing: Just admit you are pirating something for free (i.e. stealing it) simply because you don't want to pay for it.

I am not judging you for pirating, nor condemning you for that in itself. But all the ******** arguments your type makes arguing how these people that are producing products that you want owe it to you somehow...ridiculous.

They make millions because they produce something society wants. You do not because you don't. You steal it. End of story.

If you could download an iphone for free, you would probably do it and cite Apple's billions in cash reserves and market cap as a justification for your stealing that phone. It doesn't change the fact that you stole it, or that you just took money out of Apple's pockets.

I wouldn't look at you and say "oh this guy is making enough money. let me take $5.00 out of his bank account. he won't miss it." It's not mine to take. And if I did take it, I certainly wouldn't justify it with how much else you have in the bank.
NovemberWhiskey is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:00 AM   #162
Xb0xGuru
macrumors member

Some of you may want to check the definition of the word 'rampant' before stating this is a term suited for piracy on i-devices.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rampant

There's no definition which even comes close if Apple are paying billions to devs.

No-one is denying piracy exists, but it's far far less than you imagine. Don't judge other people's habits based on your own social circles. Of people I know, I'm the only one to even own a jailbroken/rooted device of any kind.
Xb0xGuru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:05 AM   #163
elfy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xb0xGuru View Post
No-one is denying piracy exists, but it's far far less than you imagine. Don't judge other people's habits based on your own social circles. Of people I know, I'm the only one to even own a jailbroken/rooted device of any kind.
Correct. Of course people pirate apps, it's silly to think otherwise. But to state that it's the only reason MOST people jailbreak is just silly. No evidence whatsoever to back that up.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:16 AM   #164
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Correct. Of course people pirate apps, it's silly to think otherwise. But to state that it's the only reason MOST people jailbreak is just silly. No evidence whatsoever to back that up.

I might be wrong here but i'm sure i've read some time ago that the developer of the app can see how many times its been downloaded, to how many times they have been paid for the app which gives him/her a rough figure of how many times its been pirated.

iPhone 5s 16GB Space Grey - iOS 7.1.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 7.1.2
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:26 AM   #165
elfy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
I might be wrong here but i'm sure i've read some time ago that the developer of the app can see how many times its been downloaded, to how many times they have been paid for the app which gives him/her a rough figure of how many times its been pirated.
Do we know how many phones are jailbroken? And do we know how many of the legal sales are from jailbroken phones?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:53 AM   #166
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Just because he's buying a $40 phone doesn't mean he wouldn't spend $15 for MyWi. But, I doubt he has unlimited data. Since you know, he's trying to save money.
He doesn't he told the person at the counter he wanted to use his phone with a differen carrier and the counter person said in that case he needs to make sure his phone is with AT&T that way he could unlock and use it with T-Mobile
guitarmandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:00 AM   #167
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just because something is rampant doesn't mean it completely overcomes something.

Insects are a rampant species on this planet. Do you have cockroaches living in the crack of your butt? No. But are they rampant? Yes.

Piracy is totally rampant. Thousands upon thousands of apps are being illegally downloaded, costing millions of dollars. That's not even mentioning other pirated media, like movies. Just because the app store continues to make billions of dollars to app developers doesn't mean that millions aren't being lost.

Money is money.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks