Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Ever since i've switched to Verizon on Iphone 5 launch day coming from ATT since the first iPhone (i've had every version of the phone on att as well) time to time i hear a random tone, like someone on the other end i'm speaking with hit a digit on the keypad. I ask if the person on the other end heard that, they say no, it just went silent for a second and they didn't hit a number on the keypad, most of the of the time they're on a landline. It could be 20 minutes into a call or hour +, totally random. Verizon has reset the network connection, i've changed phones, reset the phone, etc, still happening. ANYONE else having this issue? It's a deal breaker for me, att never did this, unless it's the 5, but i doubt it. All verizon can offer is dialing ###send after the call and they can check the towers down the line, seems like hot air to me. Not impressed, now facing a Early Termination Fee if i leave now. I already tried to get used to the no surf and talk while on data and the annoying "multiple calls" thing when you get another call while being on one, it says multiple, if you hang up with one, the other goes away and rings you back, beyond weird, i realize this is a CDMA thing along w/ super slow 3g when LTE is not avail. Anyone else have these issues on verizon? Here's the only other link i can find about it below, thank you.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/903012

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
Ever since i've switched to Verizon on Iphone 5 launch day coming from ATT since the first iPhone (i've had every version of the phone on att as well) time to time i hear a random tone, like someone on the other end i'm speaking with hit a digit on the keypad. I ask if the person on the other end heard that, they say no, it just went silent for a second and they didn't hit a number on the keypad, most of the of the time they're on a landline. It could be 20 minutes into a call or hour +, totally random. Verizon has reset the network connection, i've changed phones, reset the phone, etc, still happening. ANYONE else having this issue? It's a deal breaker for me, att never did this, unless it's the 5, but i doubt it. All verizon can offer is dialing ###send after the call and they can check the towers down the line, seems like hot air to me. Not impressed, now facing a Early Termination Fee if i leave now. I already tried to get used to the no surf and talk while on data and the annoying "multiple calls" thing when you get another call while being on one, it says multiple, if you hang up with one, the other goes away and rings you back, beyond weird, i realize this is a CDMA thing along w/ super slow 3g when LTE is not avail. Anyone else have these issues on verizon? Here's the only other link i can find about it below, thank you.

never noticed it with my iPhone 4 or any other Verizon phone but since I have the iPhone 5,i keep hearing this annoying keystone beep!!! it drives me mad because the other person can't hear it. I took it to Verizon, described it and wouldn't you know...they called a number and put my phone on speaker phone and the damn random beep never happened. they reset everything but the beep is still there. THANK GOODNESS someone else is having the same issue! thank u for posting.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
never noticed it with my iPhone 4 or any other Verizon phone but since I have the iPhone 5,i keep hearing this annoying keystone beep!!! it drives me mad because the other person can't hear it. I took it to Verizon, described it and wouldn't you know...they called a number and put my phone on speaker phone and the damn random beep never happened. they reset everything but the beep is still there. THANK GOODNESS someone else is having the same issue! thank u for posting.

Thanks! Glad I'm not the only person. Very odd. I bet more have it but ignore it

DJ Hydro

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Thanks! Glad I'm not the only person. Very odd. I bet more have it but ignore it

OMG!! I've been searching and searching for other people who has this problem!! I also never had this with 4S, but the day I got my 5, this started. I also got a replacement device, and still the same. :mad: Resetting the Network Settings seem to temporarily fix it, but it alway comes back.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Is it faulty proximity sensor that keeps the screen lit up at times?

I sometimes heard beeps as if key presses while on the phone and discovered my iPhone at the time occasionally lit up when it was next to my face and my face was pressing buttons.

What you describe about the beeps only being there in normal use and not on speaker phone would support that hypothesis too.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
just an FYI, i have switched to Tmobile since this post leaving verizon, i hated other things about the verizon or CDMA version of the iphone 5 i couldn't deal with, call waiting, no surf and talk, etc and i can report NO RANDOM TONES during a call anymore....so i don't know if it was verizon or what but it's a thing of the past now for me thankfully

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I have this, mainly when speaking to my daughter. I think her voice hits the right pitch to fool the phone system into thinking she pressed a button. I've seen reports of this issue before. It is much worse since switching to Verizon a couple years back.

I'll have to keep her away from wine glasses.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I get this tone all the time too, to me it sounds like the tone you get when another call comes in so I'm constantly checking to see if indeed that has happened.

It's annoying, but I can live with it.

Oh, and I'm on VZW with the iPhone5

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
I get this, too. iPhone 5, VZW. Makes me look to see if I got a text or something... :confused:

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
The other thing I get, and I'm wondering if others with VZW or even just iPhone5 are experiencing the same, is that when I make a call, for the first few seconds the person on the other end can't hear me.

This only lasts for maybe 3 seconds, and I usually just have to repeat the first couple of words I said, but again, this happens every-time and it's really annoying.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
On occasion I get a loud random tone on my Verizon 4S. It just started napping over the last 6 months or so.

DJ Hydro

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Ok, this isn't a hardware issue at all. I decided to test drive an S3 for a couple days this week. So I bought the phone and added an extra line to my Verizon account. I called my girlfriend, who is on Sprint, and low and behold, 15 minutes into our convo, I hear the same annoying tone using the Galaxy S3. That confirms to me that it's definitely some weird thing between the carrier networks causing this to happen.

On a side note... After using the S3 for two days, I promptly returned it for a refund minus a $35 restocking fee. It's a great device but the iPhone is just simply better for me.

mrepro

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
I'm running an iPhone 4s on ATT.

Just wanted to add a reply to say that I, too get random dial tones in the middle of calls. I don't have the phone near my face as I use earbuds. The odd thing is, it only happens with one of the people I call. Always the same person. When asked if she hears the tone, she does not, but she gets her own set of random dial tones during calls with me that I can't hear. She also uses earbuds, on an iPhone 4 on ATT.

It sounds like this problem spreads across different carriers and devices. Either a hardware issue (individual bad components/devices) or maybe an electronic trail of the NSA listening in on our conversations? :)

slowhonda91

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
I use an iPhone 4, and I have 3 other verified accounting's from friends about this random tone being produced, which would lead you to believe it was a cheek dial. Two were iPhone 4S's and the other was an android, an S3. Here is the information I have been able to produce using these 4 phones:

Timing is Random, sometimes 5 seconds in, sometimes 45 minutes.

3 Verizon and one ATT were the carriers, the S3 was the ATT phone.

The opposing party does not hear the tone when it occurs, and I recorded 3 instances where the tone was produced, saved it, and sent the clip of the sound to the other end on the line, and they never heard it during the call.

This problem occurs with varying frequency, apparently more for one of my friends on one of the iPhones. Sometimes it happens twice a day, or week, sometimes not for weeks.

Cell site connection is not a factor. (I think) Been to multiple states with the same result, pure randomness. The other two iPhones agree as they travel a great deal.

Calls were conducted with the phone only, a headset (iphone factory one) and loudspeaker. During 2 calls to date that I have placed the tone can be heard as an echo by the other line through my phone.

We all determined that minute counting was not the issue, as mine have occurred as early as 26 minutes into a billing cycle and as late as 519 minutes, with the spacing also irregular, sometimes they as close as 10-20 minutes, other times hundreds. (The most not fun part of trying to figure this out)

It started occurring for me 8-10 months after I got the phone. I brought it up to a friend one time during a call and I apologized for the cheek dial, and to my surprise he said: "Your hearing those too?"

At first I thought that was all I heard, but you can also hear a very faint change in the background noise that would almost sound like a silent hangup. (I heard this for the first time when My friend ran to the bathroom and there was no voice on the line. I've only been able to pick it out twice since then in about 15 months. Maybe its just an anomaly in the line? You really have to be lucky to hear it though. None of my close friends involved in this issue have ever head that yet.

I have called Verizon multiple times regarding this issue as have my two closest friends and have not heard any legitimate cause for this. They all said it was cheek dial, and when I told them it was while I was on speaker, they were lost.

I finally walked in to a Verizon store and demanded a replacement phone. My wife and I got ours at the same time, and she has never heard this yet. Much to my delight he said he has heard of this problem too many times to count. I thought the phone was the problem. They took my phone and ran a "diagnostic test" on it the same day. I got my phone back about 4 hours later as they no longer carry the iPhone 4 in stock. He told me that he had already informed the manager about it, who in turn told the regional sales guy about it.

A few weeks later I get a call from the sales guy at the store and tells me that according to Verizon (the regional guy at least), this is the phone jumping cell towers mid-call. The sales guy said he didn't buy it. He said is only has 1 tower where he lives, and it has happened to him before on several occaisions.

It sounds far-fetched, but the guy at the store seems to believe this tone is some type of call intercept tone. I don't know why someone would bother pinging your phone with a stupid beep just to let you know they are listening. But could this be true? Could they be listening to our phone calls? And if so why me and not my wife?

emsharyll

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
random beeps on smart phones

This is my take on what is going on, after reading all these posts:

Yes, we are being monitored. We already know the government is doing this. I can understand why they would monitor me. I'm a freedom-lover and everyone knows it. But, I would tend to think they monitor millions of phones without regard to your stated political leanings.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
They took my phone and ran a "diagnostic test" on it the same day.

It's definitely not individual phones causing this problem.

A few weeks later I get a call from the sales guy at the store and tells me that according to Verizon (the regional guy at least), this is the phone jumping cell towers mid-call.

Definitely not this either. CDMA (and WCDMA for that matter) networks perform soft-handoffs, where the cell you're leaving and cell you're transitioning to will both be connected before a handoff completes. Changes in audio don't happen during soft handoffs, and definitely not any type of in-band tone signalling.

It sounds far-fetched, but the guy at the store seems to believe this tone is some type of call intercept tone. I don't know why someone would bother pinging your phone with a stupid beep just to let you know they are listening.

They wouldn't. Call intercepts are done at the switch level now, and often as audio stream dumps. If the NSA or some other law enforcement agency were intercepting your calls, it wouldn't be so clumsy that you could tell by a tone that it's happening.

The most likely explanation is that Verizon has a DTMF (touch tone) repeater that's used to generate touch tones for cell users, and it's being a bit overzealous. If the pitch in a voice happens to be close enough to sound like a touch tone, it'll generate one.

You'll probably find that female voices (or particularly high pitched male voices) will trip this filter more often than deeper voices.

Doghouseed

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
This happens on Sprint also. I have the iPhone 5 and my wife has the iPhone 4S. It happens to me all the time and not her. I have been known to have political views that are different then the main stream parties, so maybe there is something to the bugging thing. I have supported several "Tea Party" candidates so maybe so. Very annoying for sure. Thanks for all the info.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I called up AT&T about this today. They told me that I would need to factory reset my phone (i'm not doing that). I'm glad that it's not just me who notices this. It seems to be more of a problem with Verizon.

Can it really be that it's the person's voice activating the tone?

Razskidoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
I have the same problem! But, I'm on a sprint network and using a 4s. It's random like very one else. I notice the tone I'm hearing is number one button. This usually happens when I'm more then 2 to 3 mins into a call. Sometime it will happen twice in a 10 min call, sometime never. I thought it could be my face hitting the button until I was on a Bluetooth speaker and it happened. I thought it had to do with the minute warning notification, but can't find that setting option. Is there one?
I'll be watching this thread!

Lmarie4

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
I have sprint 5s and have the same tone , random and I think our conversations are definitely being recorded, there is no other explanation , I did notice onece the tone was herd with a certin number a couple times , I never her again with that same number , I happened first with a number I call a lot a couple times, then never again, then only with a new number after I called it a few times , idk , sometimes I'll even say "get off my phone line " ha ha

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
I've had this on my Verizon 4s.
I call it a cheek beep, like when your cheek would hit the touch tone buttons on old school phones.
I just ignore it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have sprint 5s and have the same tone , random and I think our conversations are definitely being recorded, there is no other explanation , I did notice onece the tone was herd with a certin number a couple times , I never her again with that same number , I happened first with a number I call a lot a couple times, then never again, then only with a new number after I called it a few times , idk , sometimes I'll even say "get off my phone line " ha ha
If conversations were being secretly recorded you wouldn't hear any beeps or anything at all to indicate something secret was happening. ;)

TXTiger81

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2015

I am on T-Mobile with a Galaxy S5 (yes I know this is a apple forum lol) and have had the same issue. I just did a warranty replacement and the issue is still there. Luckily I haven't sent my original in yet. I'm going to harass customer care today about it when I get off work. This issue has been around for over a decade, from what I can tell, across all the major carriers and is common to BOTH Android and Apple devices. This appears to be some ghost in the machine occurring everywhere completely at random. No one on any forum (I've spent the last 3 hours searching and reading) has any effective solution to this. Neither has any expert in any forum or customer service thread been able to satisfactorily remedy this issue, which is somewhat unusual for such an issue to go unanswered on official customer forums.

My 1st theory is that this problem is so thoroughly ingrained in standard carrier software systems (no expertise here, just conjecture) that the issue is just allowed to drop since it doesn't affect phone function or overall call quality. It just boils down to a mild annoyance; one that would be too expensive to fix seeing as how it is such a sparse, random and unpredictable problem (no one can duplicate it consistently). So calling customer care/service on any carrier is just going to get you running in the same warranty replacement/debugging/hard resetting/troubleshooting loop that no one on the internet has been able to get out of when trying to solve this issue. If you want to be really persistent, maybe you can brow beat and guilt-trip your carrier into some nifty perks that will mitigate your discomfort with this annoying sound;)

Another theory I have is that it has to be an app that is a very popular or native app causing this. Has anyone done a hard reset and operated a few days without apps to try and narrow this down? I am yet to try this so it will be my next step. It'll be annoying but maybe I can make a breakthrough or at least narrow down the culprits.

My last theory is out there in left field (lol). Something involving government monitoring and big brother listening in. I won't go there until I have no other choice! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.