Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hi there. My macbook (2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo. OS 10.5.8) doesn't have Mountain Lion, and thus doesn't have iCloud. My new iPhone 4 does of course. What is the best way to transfer my contacts from my contacts book on my Macbook to my iPhone 4?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Last edited:

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
You can use iTunes.
Or sync your address book with a service like google, then have it sync to your phone with googles exchange servers.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Thank you. I thought of using iTunes, but when connected I only seem to be able to transfer audio or video. Can you tell me how i would select the contact info for the iphone 4? I exported my contacts to my desktop on my macbook. Thanks again.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just open Address Book on the Mac and do a command-a to select all, then in the File menu select export and chose the export as vcard option. Now email that file to yourself on the iPhone and open it. You should be asked if you want to import all those contacts into the iPhone contacts. Done.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Just open Address Book on the Mac and do a command-a to select all, then in the File menu select export and chose the export as vcard option. Now email that file to yourself on the iPhone and open it. You should be asked if you want to import all those contacts into the iPhone contacts. Done.

Worked! Thank you.

davidinva

macrumors 6502a

Just got a new Macbook Pro and had trouble with Migration Assistant. Had to copy some files from an external drive. Didn't know how to do the Address Book. This worked perfectly. Shows that searching MacRumors is the best first step to answering a question. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irie Vincy

Jameskey

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2014
Make sure you’re on ios7, then sign up for a free iCloud account. Enable it on all your devices (macs, pcs, phones), and your contacts will stay in sync automatically. Tehan set up and iCloud account on your phone and enable contacts syncing. Then sync your Mac with your iCloud account as shown here: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/mac.html, and enable contact syncing.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Make sure you’re on ios7, then sign up for a free iCloud account. Enable it on all your devices (macs, pcs, phones), and your contacts will stay in sync automatically.

The problem here was the OP could not run iCloud due to an older version of OS X.

maryggb

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2015
Thank you so much !!!! I was pulling my hair out because it had just disappeared .... took 3 min to fix ... thanks again

Reactions: Weaselboy

Irie Vincy

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
Just got a new Macbook Pro and had trouble with Migration Assistant. Had to copy some files from an external drive. Didn't know how to do the Address Book. This worked perfectly. Shows that searching MacRumors is the best first step to answering a question. Thanks.
THANK YOU ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.