Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Human rights record of the United States in 2012

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/20...t_16430019.htm

Fairly lengthy but interesting to read the human rights violations of the United States from the perspective of China. Some of it is the pot calling the kettle black, but most of it seems accurate.

Quote:
The State Department of the United States recently released its Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2012, posing as "the world judge of human rights" again. As in previous years, the reports are full of carping and irresponsible remarks on the human rights situation in more than 190 countries and regions including China. However, the U.S. turned a blind eye to its own woeful human rights situation and never said a word about it. Facts show that there are serious human rights problems in the U.S. which incur extensive criticism in the world. The Human Rights Record of the U.S. in 2012 is hereby prepared to reveal the true human rights situation of the U.S. to people across the world by simply laying down some facts.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 04:00 PM   #2
VulchR
macrumors 68000

So the US government's propaganda does not match the Communist Party of the PRC's desire to sweep its poor record under the table. What a shock.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 04:22 PM   #3
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
So the US government's propaganda does not match the Communist Party of the PRC's desire to sweep its poor record under the table. What a shock.
I think the point they are making is that the US violates human rights also but since they are the ones that put out the report, the US is absent from the list.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:46 PM   #4
rovex
macrumors 65816

I think China may well be worse in terms of human rights. Amnesty international's dedicated page is fairly exhaustive, though when it comes to who is the biggest killer globally the states obviously tops the list.
rovex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:58 PM   #5
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovex View Post
I think China may well be worse in terms of human rights. Amnesty international's dedicated page is fairly exhaustive, though when it comes to who is the biggest killer globally the states obviously tops the list.
This doesn't have anything to do with who is worse, it has to do with who is excluded from being listed.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
rovex
macrumors 65816

Ok. But the discussion is there to be had, so why not have it?
rovex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:40 PM   #7
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovex View Post
Ok. But the discussion is there to be had, so why not have it?
You're free to discuss what you like. But that's not really what the article is about nor do I find that topic terribly interesting. Is China worse? Yes. But we should also look at our own violations along with others.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:47 PM   #8
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
You're free to discuss what you like. But that's not really what the article is about nor do I find that topic terribly interesting. Is China worse? Yes. But we should also look at our own violations along with others.
Well, we've got 86 men cleared of all charges in Cuba there that have no way to get out even though our own trials have deemed them not to be a threat to anyone. They are so desperate that they have been starving themselves to the point where we are force feeding them to keep them alive (force feeding of course being long viewed as a form of torture internationally) That should tell you how much of a **** our leaders give about human rights.

But hey, we've got great slogans and PR campaigns, even our citizens buy it. "Freedom"
NT1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:49 PM   #9
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

The human rights of over 200 Pakistani children have been terminally prejudiced by US drone strikes.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:55 AM   #10
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

The Chinese have sourced their article pretty openly.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:53 AM   #11
sim667
macrumors 65816

Id agree that the US likes to act as judge juror and executioner, but when it comes to their own human rights record likes to sweep it under the carpet.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:03 AM   #12
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
I think the point they are making is that the US violates human rights also but since they are the ones that put out the report, the US is absent from the list.
The State Department of the US is focused on foreign affairs. They probably do not receive any funding for research about US human rights violations. No doubt they'd be raked over the coals in some Congressional hearing if they did fund research into the US's record. It's not the State Department's remit. I would expect it would be the purview of the Justice Department.

The US does allow other organizations (Amnesty, UN, etc.) that document the US's human rights record to operate relatively freely. That cannot be said of many countries in the world...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:35 AM   #13
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Well, we've got 86 men cleared of all charges in Cuba there that have no way to get out even though our own trials have deemed them not to be a threat to anyone. They are so desperate that they have been starving themselves to the point where we are force feeding them to keep them alive (force feeding of course being long viewed as a form of torture internationally) That should tell you how much of a **** our leaders give about human rights.

But hey, we've got great slogans and PR campaigns, even our citizens buy it. "Freedom"
I understand the "combatant/pow" issue, but I've always had serious issues with Guantanamo. We think of them as "them", but they could be held indefinitely without their day in court. And oh, PS, we have never considered POWs in the past to be criminals, have we?

The scary thing is that if our system ever becomes abusive, such as declaring anyone involved in a disturbance as being an enemy combatant, or even falsely accused, any citizen could be vulnerable to being stripped of their rights.

For clarification, I am not lecturing you, just making a statement, and I don't fee the Boston Bombers have been falsely accused, and our system would have to slip a lot for this kind of abuse, but we don't want to head there at all.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:43 AM   #14
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I understand the "combatant/pow" issue, but I've always had serious issues with Guantanamo. We think of them as "them", but they could be held indefinitely without their day in court. And oh, PS, we have never considered POWs in the past to be criminals, have we?

The scary thing is that if our system ever becomes abusive, such as declaring anyone involved in a disturbance as being an enemy combatant, or even falsely accused, any citizen could be vulnerable to being stripped of their rights.

For clarification, I am not lecturing you, just making a statement, and I don't fee the Boston Bombers have been falsely accused, and our system would have to slip a lot for this kind of abuse, but we don't want to head there at all.
The problem is that these 86 men have been cleared by our own government's tribunals and have been cleared for release for years. We are just letting those detainees rot when *our government* has officially cleared them. This is the fate of over half the prisoners in Gitmo. Free men with no freedom.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:53 AM   #15
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
The problem is that these 86 men have been cleared by our own government's tribunals and have been cleared for release for years. We are just letting those detainees rot when *our government* has officially cleared them. This is the fate of over half the prisoners in Gitmo. Free men with no freedom.
Why have they not been released? Based on your statement being detained would be a gross human rights violation.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:58 AM   #16
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Why have they not been released? Based on your statement being detained would be a gross human rights violation.
Indeed it is. The excuse is that no other country wants these people, which is unsurprising considering the effect being held in Guantanamo must have on their CVs. Still, mustn't grumble: half of them will be dead soon in a gross act of asymmetrical warfare, as the Pentagon would likely put it.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:40 AM   #17
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Indeed it is. The excuse is that no other country wants these people, which is unsurprising considering the effect being held in Guantanamo must have on their CVs. Still, mustn't grumble: half of them will be dead soon in a gross act of asymmetrical warfare, as the Pentagon would likely put it.
So they are free to go or is the U.S. detaining them? They can't be placed on a plane to their home country and their home country would not accept them? If the latter, then is that the U.S.'s fault? Just trying to understand the situation.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:53 AM   #18
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

There are 166 inmates left at Gitmo and 100 of them are on a hunger strike.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:05 PM   #19
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Well, congress did that whole thing where they made it illegal for a president to transfer Guantanamo detainees to the United States and no other country will take them.

And you're right, it is a disgunting human rights violation that has been ongoing for years, so long that the detainees are on hunger strike to bring attention to the situation.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 06:27 AM   #20
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a

We all know that the Chinese are angels when it comes to human rights but to say that the US is makes me laugh.. The Chinese definitely have some points about the US made. We are no angels on this side of the earth either. In Asia many here view the US comments and policies of those of Hypocrites.

http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/posts/...rights_conduct

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/...t-and-mockery/

The US is one of a few countries that were you to get pulled over by a Police Officer and were to exit your car you could very well have a gun pointed at you and risk being shot and killed lol..
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID/ iPhone 6 64GB
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues