Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.

I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software. Same goes with Samsung. Apple has a true competitive advantage in software.

As if "we'll spend whatever it takes" is how you get there

maybe they should go into the ad business, maps business, online radio etc etc

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
All the Foxconn jokes while ignoring that we're all dependent on them. It's not just Apple using them. Most consumer electronics coming out of China use them. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Dell, Sony, and most everyone else us Foxconn. Thats why it was funny when Apple was the only one getting crap for using them as everyone else does too.

...and that is a bit frightening. One company supplies the majority of the tech to electronics corporations around the world. Imagine the power and knowledge Foxconn has over the industry.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
...and that is a bit frightening. One company supplies the majority of the tech to electronics corporations around the world. Imagine the power and knowledge Foxconn has over the industry.

That they do. Problem is that if we want to continue to enjoy electronics at the prices they're at now, they're about the only option at this point.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
You forgot the step to delete the App, otherwise why would you have to download it each time and without *those* steps, your critique looks a bit weak...

minus 2 steps. big deal.

still several steps more then counting manually while holding your finger on your wrist.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
All the Foxconn jokes while ignoring that we're all dependent on them. It's not just Apple using them. Most consumer electronics coming out of China use them. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Dell, Sony, and most everyone else us Foxconn. Thats why it was funny when Apple was the only one getting crap for using them as everyone else does too.

Another good reason for the push towards the good ole "Made in the USA."

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple is actively developing wearable devices, including a smart watch with a curved glass screen.

so Cook has confirmed these projects? nope. they're still just rumors...and should be stated as such, not fact.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
minus 2 steps. big deal.

still several steps more then counting manually while holding your finger on your wrist.

Don't forget the pencil and notepad to keep a record of your heart whilst working out, for example. And the scanner and OCR software to upload your workout heartrate to your PC for a permanent record. Or hadn't you thought of that?

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software. Same goes with Samsung. Apple has a true competitive advantage in software.

They have to start somewhere.

And what competitive advantage does Apple have in software? iOS and OSX are not in the best competitive shape right now ... thankfully Appel is releasing iOS 7 but Maverick still doesn't bring some long needed improvements to the OSX platform like something as basic as a new Finder!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Another good reason for the push towards the good ole "Made in the USA."

Not sure everyone can afford that. Be prepared to pay a significant amount more for everything you buy. $100 more for your TV. $50 more for your phone. Some people won't mind but most people aren't going to be cool with it.

It'd be great if it could be done without an increase in price to the buyer but that's not the case. And do we have that many people that want minimum wage jobs? Suppose jobs for illegals?

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Don't forget the pencil and notepad to keep a record of your heart whilst working out, for example. And the scanner and OCR software to upload your workout heartrate to your PC for a permanent record. Or hadn't you thought of that?

i didn't think of that, I was so dazzled by the feature of checking your facebook posts on a wristband.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
i didn't think of that, I was so dazzled by the feature of checking your facebook posts on a wristband.

Never slag off new technology based upon what the inventor says it'll do. Other people will have far more wild and useful ideas. Remember when the accelerometer in the Mac was used solely to park the hard drive in event of the laptop being dropped? Then along cam 'MacSabre', then the accelerometer in the iPhone...

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Not sure everyone can afford that. Be prepared to pay a significant amount more for everything you buy. $100 more for your TV. $50 more for your phone. Some people won't mind but most people aren't going to be cool with it.

It'd be great if it could be done without an increase in price to the buyer but that's not the case. And do we have that many people that want minimum wage jobs? Suppose jobs for illegals?

No doubt about that. A geek can dream right?:p

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Never slag off new technology based upon what the inventor says it'll do. Other people will have far more wild and useful ideas. Remember when the accelerometer in the Mac was used solely to park the hard drive in event of the laptop being dropped? Then along cam 'MacSabre', then the accelerometer in the iPhone...

who said the sudden motion sensor was crap? it's one of the most useful things when it first came out in the mac.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
a new smart wristband that can measure vital signs

It appears that people are so brain dead these days they need to check their wrist device to tell whether they are still alive.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
who said the sudden motion sensor was crap? it's one of the most useful things when it first came out in the mac.

I never said it was crap; I used it as an example of people taking an idea (the drop sensor) and using it for something that the inventor never imagined. (A lightsabre-simulator).

Thus, when Foxconn say "Oh, you can check your heart-rate with it", you can be sure that someone else will come up far far better and imaginative uses for it.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I never said it was crap; I used it as an example of people taking an idea (the drop sensor) and using it for something that the inventor never imagined. (A lightsabre-simulator).

Thus, when Foxconn say "Oh, you can check your heart-rate with it", you can be sure that someone else will come up far far better and imaginative uses for it.

I didn't say checking your heart-rate with it was crap, I said checking your Facebook posts on your wristband is crap.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
I didn't say checking your heart-rate with it was crap, I said checking your Facebook posts on your wristband is crap.

Actually, you implied that checking your heart rate was a stupid use :

hold on, let me check my heart rate.
*unlock iPhone with pass code*
*download Foxconn app*
*input iTunes password to download app*
*launch Foxconn app, (Please scan your finger to secure your data)*
*scan finger*
*scan heart rate*

(but you weakened your argument by saying that you'd have to DL the Foxconn app every time).

but my point stands - people will find much better uses for a smartwatch than checking heartrate and updating Facebook.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Actually, you implied that checking your heart rate was a stupid use :

(but you weakened your argument by saying that you'd have to DL the Foxconn app every time).

but my point stands - people will find much better uses for a smartwatch than checking heartrate and updating Facebook.

you're assuming.
thanks for playing.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.

As already noted, this is how HTC got started.

Foxconn actually has even more reason to strike out on their own: Apple has led the way to Foxconn making ever lower profit margins while manufacturing for others. Foxconn would make more profit selling their own production.

I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software.

Well, perhaps not overnight. But they have to start somewhere.

Just like how Apple hired cellular engineers and thought that almost overnight they'd become a player in phones. Or how they bought a fingerprint sensor company. Or a capacitive touch gesture company.

NAGESHGOLLAMUDI

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
uPlay White Label Smart Wrist Band W1

We are adjusted to the Time Available in mobile to check the time .But using smart wristband ,one can easily perform various activities which mobile can not
do example health of the body can be checked continuously. One more advantage is accessing other movers calender and based on that communicating with thin the distance.you can google for above
product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.