iPad 4 with retina 64GB - Maybe should get the cellular version instead? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a

Question iPad 4 with retina 64GB - Maybe should get the cellular version instead?

Just purchased the 64GB iPad 4 with retina display and was thinking that for the $130. extra I probably should have gotten the one with Verizon cellular.

Did you guys that purchased the 4th gen get just the WiFi version or did you spring for the cellular version also?
Hooterville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:09 AM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

I bought the Wi-Fi Mini, but recently returned it since AT&T is offering $100 off on iPads with 2 years of service. I plan on using a cellular iPad for 2 years and its only $10 a month, so it works for me.

If you decide to get the cellular version, you don't have to keep it connected. You can use it on a month-to-month basis.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:35 AM   #3
nightlong
macrumors 6502

Both my iPads are cellular ... It depends on your situation, I live in a rural area with full strength 3G from a new nearby tower, before that had a terrible satellite system. So if you live in a city where you can have fast wifi, you might not need cellular iPad, especially if you have a smartphone. The other reason for cellular on iPad is if you use it for GPS, as I do.
I love the fact that my iPads are always connected, I live in double storey house, so have one iPad upstairs, one downstairs, have access to fast wifi in town for software updates etc. I tether my Air from iPhone or ipad4 when I need Internet on that at home. SIM cards on yearly plan in iPads, really cheap, and monthly plan for phone, also really cheap. In total, less than $45 a month, compared with $120 a month before for landline, mobile phone, satellite wifi, and iPad 3G. This is in Australia, so might be different for you. And my setup obviously isn't for streaming movies etc.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

I got the Celluar one simply because it makes sense for my usage patterns. For 7.50/month with 3 I have internet access on it anywhere, without wasting my iPhone's battery tethering.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a

Paid the extra $130. and went for the cellular model.
Hooterville is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting