Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
A brand new sealed iPhone 1 (first one, only released in US) or a brand new sealed iPhone 3G? I'm guessing they won't be that expensive now but in the future they will. Anyone know the prices of both lf them.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
A brand new sealed iPhone 1 (first one, only released in US) or a brand new sealed iPhone 3G? I'm guessing they won't be that expensive now but in the future they will. Anyone know the prices of both lf them.

Since both are already obsolete as computing devices, they only retain real value from collectibility.

And the original iPhone wins there. Fewer were made, and it's the original in the line.

But don't expect them to become outrageously expensive for a *LONG* time. And with the non-replaceable battery, eventually the battery in there will deteriorate, so being sealed might be a detriment, since it means you won't know if it works or not.

The original Macintosh only became truly expensive as a collectible in the past two years. For two decades prior, they were often failing to sell on eBay when listed at under $100. Only the Lisa, with its combination of extreme rareness originally, combined with the physical modification upgrade that was provided that turned them into newer (less collectible) models; along with the also extremely rare Apple I, have true ridiculous prices.

The Macintosh 512K, which came out after the original Macintosh, but is still plenty "rare", has barely any value. There were millions of original iPhones made. (6.1 million according to an Apple press release soon after the iPhone 3G's release, when they commented that the 3G had achieved 6.9 million sold in comparison.)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

First gen wasn't just released in the u.s

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Since both are already obsolete as computing devices, they only retain real value from collectibility.

And the original iPhone wins there. Fewer were made, and it's the original in the line.

But don't expect them to become outrageously expensive for a *LONG* time. And with the non-replaceable battery, eventually the battery in there will deteriorate, so being sealed might be a detriment, since it means you won't know if it works or not.

The original Macintosh only became truly expensive as a collectible in the past two years. For two decades prior, they were often failing to sell on eBay when listed at under $100. Only the Lisa, with its combination of extreme rareness originally, combined with the physical modification upgrade that was provided that turned them into newer (less collectible) models; along with the also extremely rare Apple I, have true ridiculous prices.

The Macintosh 512K, which came out after the original Macintosh, but is still plenty "rare", has barely any value. There were millions of original iPhones made. (6.1 million according to an Apple press release soon after the iPhone 3G's release, when they commented that the 3G had achieved 6.9 million sold in comparison.)

Thanks for the informative post.

----------

First gen wasn't just released in the u.s

To my knowledge it was, I guess I was misinformed. Thanks

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for the informative post.

----------

To my knowledge it was, I guess I was misinformed. Thanks

It was released on July 29, 2007 in the u.s then in November uk, France and Germany

Since then every iphone has launched in the u.s and most of Europe other countries add to the initial launch list each year.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
It was released on July 29, 2007 in the u.s then in November uk, France and Germany

Since then every iphone has launched in the u.s and most of Europe other countries add to the initial launch list each year.

I live in Australia and I don't think it launched here. I just assumed that if it didn't launch in Australia it didn't launch elsewhere except the US. Australia is I think second in iPhone mania to the US market share wise.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I live in Australia and I don't think it launched here. I just assumed that if it didn't launch in Australia it didn't launch elsewhere except the US. Australia is I think second in iPhone mania to the US market share wise.

It didn't. July 2008 you guys got the 3g

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The battery may be toast soon, if not already.

Li-Ion batteries very slowly lose charge over time. But after six years, the charge may be close to 0%. Once you get a certain amount below 0%, the battery becomes unsafe to charge, so an internal protection circuit permanently disables the battery.

I don't know how much the factory seal adds to the value of this collectible... But if you can find a way to plug it in, and charge the battery to around 80%, this will preserve it for several more years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.