Starving Greek children - Page 5 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:26 PM   #101
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
People in India, China and South East Asia get by (or have got by) on such wages. I wonder what percentage of Chinese get by on $160/month - that is probably the median wage even now.
That is not equivalent to the conditions here. Factor in cost of living.

Here in CT in order to afford a basic 2 bedroom apartment, you have to be pulling down $26,000 a year.

Note that has nothing to do with Greece. You have to factor in the cost of living in the country that you're talking about.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:42 PM   #102
zin
macrumors 6502

Greece is an very isolated case where they went on a huge spending spree after joining the Euro. Because of a failure of government, the Greek people are now having to pay the price (very unfairly, IMO, it wasn't their fault).

It would be false, however, as some people in this thread have stated, to say that the rest of Europe, even Spain and Italy, and the US are in a debt crisis.
zin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:37 AM   #103
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Here in CT in order to afford a basic 2 bedroom apartment, you have to be pulling down $26,000 a year.
In China/India etc. you'll be talking a basic studio apartment for your family.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zin View Post
(very unfairly, IMO, it wasn't their fault).
To be fair Greece is a democracy, and while that doesn't necessarily mean one has total political freedom it does mean one has quite a lot. The Greek people should have voted for better government or protested about it.

Maybe we should have big protests here about our awful government.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:51 PM   #104
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Not sure how true it is, but I read somewhere that a lot of fat kids in western countries are actually quite poor - And the reason they're fat is because their parents can't afford good quality food, so they buy large quantities of cheap crap.
Yeah the problem in the USA is not famine but malnutrition. The poorer you are, the fatter you become. Not hard when getting a burger is much cheaper than a healthy salad or even grocery shopping.

Last edited by aerok; Apr 22, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
aerok is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:55 PM   #105
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Yeah the problem in the USA is not famine but malnutrition. The poorer you are, the fatter you become. Not hard when getting a burger is much cheaper than a healthy salad or even grocery shopping.
Here in NZ as well, people bring things like raw instant-ramen and powdered cordial (WITHOUT having been mixed with water) to school for lunch. Itís crazy.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 04:10 PM   #106
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Here in NZ as well, people bring things like raw instant-ramen and powdered cordial (WITHOUT having been mixed with water) to school for lunch. Itís crazy.
Unfortunatly, parents today do not seem to be aware of the importance of a healthy nutrition and family suppers.

A lot of family put their money on premium channels like HBO and AMC before nutrition
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:53 AM   #107
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
I'm half Greek-half Canadian, I've lived in Greece my whole life, and OP is full of it.
Care to elaborate?
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:34 PM   #108
erickkoch
macrumors 6502a

Anybody here from Greece, I'm kind of curious. I have a Greek coworker who has family in Greece (born here but speaks Greek and travels back to see family). He claims that avoiding paying taxes is practically a national sport in Greece and that they have a whole system of "under-the-table" economics that they use to avoid taxes and fees. Is this true? If so, it's would seem that they brought their problems on themselves. You can't have what you won't pay for.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:11 PM   #109
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickkoch View Post
Anybody here from Greece, I'm kind of curious. I have a Greek coworker who has family in Greece (born here but speaks Greek and travels back to see family). He claims that avoiding paying taxes is practically a national sport in Greece and that they have a whole system of "under-the-table" economics that they use to avoid taxes and fees. Is this true? If so, it's would seem that they brought their problems on themselves. You can't have what you won't pay for.
As far as I'm aware that is the case.
Old May 5, 2013, 01:00 AM   #110
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickkoch View Post
Unfortunately, some businesses and individuals did partake in tax evasion which part of the reason why we are in this mess. What bothers me is that Greece is getting the bad rep just because we were one of the first countries to experience this economic downturn, yet others such as Italy, Spain, and Portugal are never discussed in this magnitude even though they are sliding into the same hole.
Old May 5, 2013, 02:12 AM   #111
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDuel View Post
What bothers me is that Greece is getting the bad rep just because we were one of the first countries to experience this economic downturn, yet others such as Italy, Spain, and Portugal are never discussed in this magnitude even though they are sliding into the same hole.
Greece is a much less serious economy than Italy, Spain and Portugal.
Old May 5, 2013, 02:23 AM   #112
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDuel View Post
Unfortunately, some businesses and individuals did partake in tax evasion which part of the reason why we are in this mess.
The reasons for this mess lie 100% in Greece and the fact that more than "some" dogded taxes is just the tip of the iceberg.

Add
-corruption
-bureaucracy run out of control
-politcal parties buying votes with goverment jobs
-unions holding the country hostage over demands not backed up by productivity
-a population to busy trying to game the system themselves instead of calling it out

Sofar I don't really see ordinary Greeks really understanding the above....

Sure similar things can be said about Italy,Span and Portugal and yes they will also need to adapt sooner or later, BUT these contries actually do have an economy outside tourism&agriculture !
Bug-Creator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 03:16 AM   #113
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Creator View Post
The reasons for this mess lie 100% in Greece and the fact that more than "some" dogded taxes is just the tip of the iceberg.

Add
-corruption
-a population to busy trying to game the system themselves instead of calling it out

Sure similar things can be said about Italy,Span and Portugal and yes they will also need to adapt sooner or later, BUT these contries actually do have an economy outside tourism&agriculture !
Let's not forget Greece's comedically high pensions.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 07:15 PM   #114
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Creator View Post

Add
-corruption

Of course, the IMF and World Bank have no responsibility for what happened once their stipulations kicked in and austerity choked any hope of growth in the short term, right?
Old May 13, 2013, 01:24 AM   #115
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Of course, the IMF and World Bank have no responsibility for what happened once their stipulations kicked in and austerity choked any hope of growth in the short term, right?
Given the Greeks earn about ~10x more than they should for the work they produce I don't think blaming the IMF and World Bank is fair.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:53 PM   #116
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Given the Greeks earn about ~10x more than they should for the work they produce I don't think blaming the IMF and World Bank is fair.
They did earn.

Everyone seems to think that nothing has changed since the austerity settlements went into effect. Look whats going on there now, and for another example of those two institutions destroying a nation, look at Spain circling the drain.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Tags
austerity, greece, hunger