Do you shop at Wal Mart? - Page 4 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:43 PM   #76
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God
 
AustinIllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austin, TX
I don't shop at Walmart now, but I sure as hell did in college when I had no money.
__________________
Victory ILLINOIS Varsity!
Early 2011 13" MBP iPad Mini Retina 32 GB Google Nexus 5
AustinIllini is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:00 AM   #77
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
http://iflizwerequeen.com/2013/08/13...s_q_20176.html

Wal Mart actually reduces the number of jobs. So, thats a fact.
Oh dear! You didn't read the paper and I did (don't you just hate that?).
The lower retail employment associated with Wal- Mart does not necessarily imply that Wal-Mart stores worsen the economic fortunes of residents of the markets that these stores enter. Our results apply only to the retail sector, and we suspect that there are not aggregate employment effects, at least in the longer run, as labor shifts to other uses.
So your so-called fact is anything but.

Quote:
Then clearly, you don't buy high quality goods or food. The only decent selection on anything I could find in my most recent visit was Electronics. Their prices weren't any better either.
Submitting anecdotal evidence in a debate is lame. Don't be lame.

Quote:
No they aren't breaking the law, but does that mean I should shop there just because they aren't?
No, it means that your argument was spurious because what they are doing is legal.

Quote:
I'm not offended, I'm just asking people's questions.
Nooooo. You called Walmart an "offender". Therefore you were offended. See how that works?
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:47 AM   #78
robanga
macrumors 68000
 
robanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
You left out the part where the residents marched through town with torches and pitchforks decrying the loss of their mom-and-pop stores and cursing the evil Walmart. Probably because it didn't happen.

Walmart utilizes economies of scale. Most markets (not simply retail) take advantage of the same concept when and where they can. The consumer base isn't necessarily unhappy about it - many people enjoy lower prices and one-stop shopping.

Mom-and-pop stores that truly add value - I mean value that the market wants and is willing to pay for - have nothing to fear from someone like Walmart moving in.
Spot on. How can you decry market forces that are legal and financially based? The buyer decides and they have clearly voted.

So what artificial methods are we supposed to do to protect all these consumers from themselves and protect this utopian way of life we all miss? Make people pay for more service for the same product that comes on a container from China?

And if we come up some reasonable measures WHO to we apply them to? Limit Walmat, limit the internet? limit Amazon, apply taxes, apply tax credits? Should make massive chains of all sorts work that way?

There are no easy answers. Ultimately the market decides.
__________________
Soli Deo gloria

Last edited by robanga; Aug 28, 2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: corrected gram
robanga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:54 PM   #79
Hastings101
macrumors 68000
 
Hastings101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Where do YOU live? Nosey
Yes.. because they're literally the only grocery store within 30 miles.

There is one other grocery store in town I could use but they wouldn't hire me several years ago when I was teenager desperate for a first job. Jerk owner made me go through two nervous, long interviews for a chance to work in a locally owned small-town grocery store as just a cart pusher/bag boy, so I've refused to shop there ever since

I'd choose the corporation that might be dooming America over that store any day.
__________________
Candy canes are delicious!
Hastings101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:44 AM   #80
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Reviving this thread..

My wife just found this, and we almost woke up our children from laughing so hard.

Mild NSFW due to some language, but great if you have headphones. So you have been warned. With that, enjoy.

Parodied to Party Up (up In Here) by DMX.



BL.

Last edited by bradl; Oct 10, 2013 at 12:50 AM.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:10 AM   #81
Huntn
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
I'd say "cover it up".

__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:21 AM   #82
stubeeef
macrumors 68030
 
stubeeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
shop there all the time.
Funny how so many here pretend to be so accepting then make fun of the lesser of the population that goes to a walmart.
Walmart actually has a benefit to many, especially those that can't afford to shop on Rodeo Dr.
For some of us we have to choose what we can spend on things, and for many with children Walmart offers an inexpensive place to buy clothing and food.
I don't work for Walmart, but I shop there. I know all of the awful stories of products made to sell there, I also know that many of those same stories apply to about every store that sells something.
I shop there often and will continue too. Especially with the hockey stick style increase in health care costs that just hit our family- there will be less for food and clothing and the only way to stretch that over printed dollar will be places like Wally World.
__________________
Change!
Real Change?
7in2 Fore!
stubeeef is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:25 AM   #83
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post
shop there all the time.
Funny how so many here pretend to be so accepting then make fun of the lesser of the population that goes to a walmart.
Walmart actually has a benefit to many, especially those that can't afford to shop on Rodeo Dr.
For some of us we have to choose what we can spend on things, and for many with children Walmart offers an inexpensive place to buy clothing and food.
I don't work for Walmart, but I shop there. I know all of the awful stories of products made to sell there, I also know that many of those same stories apply to about every store that sells something.
I shop there often and will continue too. Especially with the hockey stick style increase in health care costs that just hit our family- there will be less for food and clothing and the only way to stretch that over printed dollar will be places like Wally World.

I'm glad to hear your family will now have better healthcare than you had been providing them.
__________________
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
rdowns is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:20 PM   #84
stubeeef
macrumors 68030
 
stubeeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Healthcare will cover less, have higher premiums, have higher copays meaning paying more for less.
There will be less money for college tuition for my 3 daughters, I will have to stop my donations to the local food bank, and other charities.
Your sarcasm is noted as poorly understood healthcare.
stubeeef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 07:17 AM   #85
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
They just removed dental coverage from Medicaid here.

And I have to pay over $1,200 for the MRI I had the other month under my parents insurance. You know how much one of those is out of pocket? $3,300 for the regular, and $100 for the contrast. How much do I end up paying? $1,300.

If I had gone through Medicaid, I'd have to wait for them to say, yes, I can go have this scan done, However, I'd still be paying the same money. Maybe a little less, but it's overall the same huge chunk hitting you.

My co-payment to see a Neurologist was $50. And we're talking about an insurance that you pay $1,000 a month into for 4 people, one person who has to see a doctor every month and get their prescriptions every month.

The government system isn't going to do anything to help us.

And I looked into my Medicaid benefits closer, including the doctors that I could go see. Most of them have been in the practice for only less than 5 years, and they agree to treat Medicaid patients in order to expedite their renewals and whatever else.

The doctor on my card was fined three times, one for not proper organization of records, another for not dosing people correctly, and I can't remember what else. He was taken off the Medicaid directory this year.

And a Neurologist I would have probably be forced to seen had I been to that doctor, was suspended because he ****ed up procedures and killed patients, paralyzed them, and failed to read x-rays correctly.

He was also using drugs and excessive alcohol.

Medicaid is the Wal-Mart of healthcare. Cheap, and just as useless.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:02 AM   #86
Huntn
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
They just removed dental coverage from Medicaid here.

And I have to pay over $1,200 for the MRI I had the other month under my parents insurance. You know how much one of those is out of pocket? $3,300 for the regular, and $100 for the contrast. How much do I end up paying? $1,300.

If I had gone through Medicaid, I'd have to wait for them to say, yes, I can go have this scan done, However, I'd still be paying the same money. Maybe a little less, but it's overall the same huge chunk hitting you.

My co-payment to see a Neurologist was $50. And we're talking about an insurance that you pay $1,000 a month into for 4 people, one person who has to see a doctor every month and get their prescriptions every month.

The government system isn't going to do anything to help us.

And I looked into my Medicaid benefits closer, including the doctors that I could go see. Most of them have been in the practice for only less than 5 years, and they agree to treat Medicaid patients in order to expedite their renewals and whatever else.

The doctor on my card was fined three times, one for not proper organization of records, another for not dosing people correctly, and I can't remember what else. He was taken off the Medicaid directory this year.

And a Neurologist I would have probably be forced to seen had I been to that doctor, was suspended because he ****ed up procedures and killed patients, paralyzed them, and failed to read x-rays correctly.

He was also using drugs and excessive alcohol.

Medicaid is the Wal-Mart of healthcare. Cheap, and just as useless.
I believe that the ACA would help you, but I admit I am ignorant about how the Texas State Government's attitude (regarding federal efforts to cover citizens who otherwise would struggle to afford health insurance) effects your ability to participate in the ACA living in Texas. I assume you know that the State of Texas has among the highest percentage of those not covered by health insurance. The GOP rails about the cost of the ACA, but think nothing of dropping a trillion in wars, notably wars that accomplish no real benefit. IMO health insurance costs are an outrage and even if it cost a trillion, the ACA would be a worthy expense from a economic productivity, and more importantly a moral perspective. Alas when it comes to welfare, the GOP only loves corporate welfare. The problem is priorities. The GOP believes in your freedom, your freedom to know your place and not expect any assistance from the Fat Cats they are in bed with, your freedom to scramble for the crumbs that fall off their plates, and the Fat Cats freedom to horde wealth and say FU to the rest of us. PS, I am a Texas resident.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.

Last edited by Huntn; Oct 12, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 05:09 PM   #87
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Texas also has the largest amount of illegal immigrants... I think we're also hot on the obesity list.

I know that Texas won't extend Medicaid to the rest of the state. At least that's what it said on the signup page when I took a peak at the government healthcare website.

It's ok. I know I'll be able to pay it off.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S

Last edited by stridemat; Oct 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Removed off topic part of post
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 07:32 PM   #88
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post
Healthcare will cover less, have higher premiums, have higher copays meaning paying more for less.
Is this just speculation?
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:46 PM   #89
bassfingers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fortunately for me, a Walmart is not conveniently located, so I'm not tempted at all.

I typically shop at a Kroger, Trader Joe/s, or Target, which are usually much more positive experiences.
__________________
"... prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them" - Thomas Jefferson
bassfingers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 02:08 PM   #90
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Absolutely not. Come shop at our local walmart. Half the photos on peopleofwalmart.com were taken here. I shop at SAMs club. It's much more upscale considering you have to pay to even shop there. If I need something that they don't have at SAMS, I'll either buy online or go to Target.
Jimbo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 02:09 PM   #91
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
Absolutely not. Come shop at our local walmart. Half the photos on peopleofwalmart.com were taken here. I shop at SAMs club. It's much more upscale considering you have to pay to even shop there. If I need something that they don't have at SAMS, I'll either buy online or go to Target.

Sams is an upscale Wal-Mart in the same way a port-o-potty is an upscale outhouse.
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:48 PM   #92
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
Sams is an upscale Wal-Mart in the same way a port-o-potty is an upscale outhouse.
Hmm.. I see your point. Then again.. I guess no matter how you choose to describe it, the outhouse analogy will still be valid. I think people can relate to what I meant though. Same horrible company, but with a nicer environment.
Jimbo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2013, 08:07 PM   #93
oaktree
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I shop there when ever I want something cheap.
oaktree is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are the chances of finding an iPhone 5 at wal mart and target? metzy25 iPhone 9 Nov 11, 2012 03:18 AM
iPad Mini: Does your Wal-Mart have the iPad mini? Find out here. lambo iPad 4 Nov 3, 2012 09:22 AM
Incipio Feather from local Wal-Mart benji.e iPhone Accessories 36 Sep 30, 2012 03:03 AM
Wal-mart preorders blacksurfer iPhone 0 Sep 19, 2012 12:09 AM
Cancelled apple order and went with wal-mart blacksurfer iPhone 37 Sep 18, 2012 02:38 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC