Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miros84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Hi,

I created a pendrive with MAC OS 10.8
I tested it to Mac Air and Macpro and it works OK. Live MAc runs and from boot pendrive.

But when I try to boot a miniMac with that pendrive a circule with / appears and the screen and I cannot boot it. I am sure that pendrive is OK, because as I said with other computer it boots. And MiniMac is new computer. It is perfect.

When I press Alt to get boot menu, I can see the pendrive, but it doesnot run.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Nov 28, 2010
located
What version of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is on that USB flash memory thumb drive and what Mac mini do you try to boot from (2012 or 2011 or older model)?

Btw, it is MacBook Air, Mac Pro and Mac mini, and nowadays not Mac OS X anymore, only OS X.

miros84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Hi,

Mac mini is from december 2012 with 10.8.2 now.

Pendrive has 10.8.1

As I said the same pendrive is boot correctly from macbook air with 10.8.2 without problems. Any idea?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hi,

Mac mini is from december 2012 with 10.8.2 now.

Pendrive has 10.8.1

As I said the same pendrive is boot correctly from macbook air with 10.8.2 without problems. Any idea?

The MBA came with a Mac OS X or OS X version prior to 10.8.1, thus 10.8.1 has drivers for that MBA and the iMac.

The 2012 Mac mini came with a special build of 10.8.2, thus 10.8.1 has no drivers for that 2012 Mac mini, even a normal 10.8.2 install would not have the drivers, only a 10.8.3 install would be able to boot on that 2012 Mac mini.

miros84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
So, you think that the solution is to get OS X 10.8.3 and it will boot all: Mac Mini and MBA (Is that MacBook Air?)

Nov 28, 2010
located
So, you think that the solution is to get OS X 10.8.3 and it will boot all: Mac Mini and MBA (Is that MacBook Air?)

Yes, but 10.8.3 has not been released yet, thus you need to wait for this to appear.

And yes, MBA is short for MacBook Air, MBP is short for MacBook Pro, cMBP is short for classic MacBook Pro (the one with the optical disk drive (ODD)), uMBP is short for Unibody MacBook Pro (the one with the ODD on the right side) and rMBP is short for MacBook Pro with Retina Display (the one without ODD).

miros84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
So, I cannot change HDD then.

If my HDD is broken and I replate it with new one, I cannot boot it with pendrive or dvd and install new MAC. Or just if I want to change it with new SSD disk.

I cannot belive that there is solution for this.

Nov 28, 2010
located
So, I cannot change HDD then.

If my HDD is broken and I replate it with new one, I cannot boot it with pendrive or dvd and install new MAC. Or just if I want to change it with new SSD disk.

I cannot belive that there is solution for this.

No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

miros84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion includes a built in set of utilities in the Recovery System. Restart your Mac and hold down the Command key and the R key (Command-R), and keep holding them until the Apple icon appears, indicating that your Mac is starting up. After the Recovery System is finished starting up, you should see a desktop with a OS X menu bar and a "Mac OS X Utilities" application window

1. If i change the HDD I think Recovery System will not work. Am I right? it is in the HDD.

2. First link doesnot work.

3. Second link offer me to create a pendrive which was what I did. This way I created my pendrive and it works with MBA. Not with Mac Mini.

Nov 28, 2010
located
1. If i change the HDD I think Recovery System will not work. Am I right? it is in the HDD.

2. First link doesnot work.

3. Second link offer me to create a pendrive which was what I did. This way I created my pendrive and it works with MBA. Not with Mac Mini.

1. It is not in the HDD, it is the firmware, thus after you changed the HDD to another HDD or SSD, you will able to install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion onto that, which involves downloading around 4 GB of data first of course.

2. First link does work.

3. That option can be used once 10.8.3 is available.

miros84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Hi simsaladimbamba,

Thanks for your time and explication. Can you clarify some more questions?

Which MAC has Recovery System on firmware? Only MAC mini after 2012?

Doesnot it mean that if I use Recovery System, MAC OS X will be installed throught Internet? About 4GB will be downloaded from internet?

miros84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Thanks for this link.

If you happen to encounter a situation in which you cannot start from the Recovery System, such as your hard drive stopped responding or you installed a new hard drive without OS X installed, new Mac models introduced after public availability of OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion, automatically use the OS X Internet Recovery feature if the Recovery System (Command-R method above) doesn't work.

As I see, yes, internet is required. But Recovery System is not in firmware. Is in Hard disk.
In firmware must be OS X Internet Recovery feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.