Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:05 PM   #1
BJB Productions
macrumors 65816

Weird request: Need command to crash iTunes on demand

Ok; I know the title is really weird...I'll try to explain. I'm in need of some code I can run through Terminal to make iTunes crash. I don't want to ruin anything! (but this is needed for a video I'm working on.) If there's no code that anyone can come up with, is there another easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:08 PM   #2
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Command + Q on the keyboard.

Or, open a terminal, run ps -A, find the process number for itunes, then type kill -9 "pid" where "pid" is the process id of itunes as given by the ps -A command.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:12 PM   #3
BJB Productions
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
Command + Q on the keyboard.

Or, open a terminal, run ps -A, find the process number for itunes, then type kill -9 "pid" where "pid" is the process id of itunes as given by the ps -A command.
Thanks. Sorry I should of clarified: I need it to generate a crash report after it closes. (That's why I was truly looking for a way to crash iTunes, but not harm it)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:14 PM   #4
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB Productions View Post
Thanks. Sorry I should of clarified: I need it to generate a crash report after it closes. (That's why I was truly looking for a way to crash iTunes, but not harm it)
Crashes cannot really be generated. Any re-producable crash should/will be fixed by Apple.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:14 PM   #5
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB Productions View Post
In that case, just keep using it. iTunes will take care of the crashing eventually.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:25 PM   #6
chown33
macrumors 603

Code:
killall -SEGV iTunes
I recommend reading the man pages for killall and sigaction so you understand at least vaguely what it's doing. I expect this recommendation will have little or no effect.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:01 PM   #7
BJB Productions
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
I recommend reading the man pages for killall and sigaction so you understand at least vaguely what it's doing. I expect this recommendation will have little or no effect.
Thanks! Worked like a charm. Now I can crash iTunes on demand..wooo.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:09 PM   #8
woofits
macrumors newbie

I realize this thread is a dead letter office. But in answer to the original question, Command-T crashes iTunes every time. I know this because I accidentally do it frequently when I mean to Comman-Tab my way to another app, and hit command-T, like open a new tab on most browsers.
woofits is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:41 PM   #9
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
In that case, just keep using it. iTunes will take care of the crashing eventually.
Does it indeed? Not in my experience. I have plenty of complaints, but none about it crashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofits View Post
I realize this thread is a dead letter office. But in answer to the original question, Command-T crashes iTunes every time. I know this because I accidentally do it frequently when I mean to Comman-Tab my way to another app, and hit command-T, like open a new tab on most browsers.
Only if you have a visualizer installed that crashes.

Last edited by gnasher729; Apr 12, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Partron22
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofits View Post
Command-T crashes iTunes every time. I know this because I accidentally do it...
Command-T is supposed to bring up the visualizer (color organ/lightshow/whatever). It does on my Macs. Check your Visualizer submenu selection in iTunes' 'View' menu. There are some old visualizer modules out there that can cause crashes, but Apple's 'iTunes Visualizer' should not.
Partron22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:05 PM   #11
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I didn't even realize the current version of iTunes still had a visualizer... I had figured in doing away with the bloat they got rid of that... not that it mattered... as soon as iOS gained the ability to update itself OTA, I stopped opening iTunes ever. I use Spotify for all my music needs. I can't even imagine what Apple could do to make me ever want to use iTunes again (duplicating Pandora sure won't do that. If I wanted Pandora, I'd use Pandora. I don't like Pandora though - I like Spotify. And I can't imagine Apple duplicating Spotify + all of the Spotify apps I like using.)
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Peace
macrumors P6

What is the purpose of a "created crash" ? For all intent and purpose and by definition it really isn't a crash as far as bug reporting and debugging is concerned.

If it works and you purposefully crash it it's not a crash.

ymmv
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:25 PM   #13
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
What is the purpose of a "created crash" ? ...
See first post.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
See first post.
I saw the first post.

If he's trying to show a video of iTunes "crashing" using the kill command will generate a different log than an actual crash.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:46 PM   #15
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I saw the first post.

If he's trying to show a video of iTunes "crashing" using the kill command will generate a different log than an actual crash.
If this is for a non-educational movie, then it doesn't really matter. IE, a movie with a 1337 hacker who can crash iTunes. That's how you know he's 1337.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming