Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Yes you are correct. I should have said "If you have a Canon body you have to buy Canon mount lenses"

These can be made by Sigma or who ever but still you will end out with a collection of Canon mount glass and the next body you buy will be Canon. Basically you are "married" to the brand and changing is expensive.

In some cases the third party leenses are as good and cheaper. That might be the case more with Nikon

Yeah, I sort of understood you Chris, I wasn't picking a fight with my comment. I agree it will be expensive when I go up to full-frame as I switch brands, but that's okay, the APS-C lenses I'm buying now hold good value for resale. I'm definitely switching brands over to Nikon for full-frame, unless Canon really pull a rabbit from the bag in the next couple of years.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I had the D50 and it was okay. Focusing in low light was very slow. One of the reasons I went to a D90 was because the D50 didn't have a usable ISO over 800. Slow Focusing. Limited Pro like features.

VR on lenses is okay to use if you are using it on fast glass. 18-55mm isn't fast glass. The size alone, you really don't need VR. Where is the shaking? Just learn how to hold your camera steady. If that was the case, then the 50mm lens would have VR. If you are shooting sports, VR isn't useful. 18-70mm is one of the best kit lenses that Nikon paired with their low end cameras. 18-55mm lens has less elements than the 50mm and the 18-70mm...so I can't see how that's better?

I've used the D3100 and Canon T2i and both fall short when shooting without a flash or in low light. The cameras that replaced these have the same results.

The reason to move to a DSLR is that you don't want a point and shoot. Most entry level DSLR are basically that. The user interface almost mirror a P&S camera. If you are going to get a DSLR, get it for the reasons that you are going learn more about photography. Aperture and Shutter speed, learn about that. If you just want a step up from a P&S because you just want to shoot the family and stuff, but not invest in the time in learning about photography and have no timeline to stepping up your photography game, then get a entry level camera :)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Yes you are correct. I should have said "If you have a Canon body you have to buy Canon mount lenses"

These can be made by Sigma or who ever but still you will end out with a collection of Canon mount glass and the next body you buy will be Canon. Basically you are "married" to the brand and changing is expensive.

In some cases the third party leenses are as good and cheaper. That might be the case more with Nikon

Third party lenses cost about the same for both Canon and Nikon cameras.

By the way, there are Nikon and Canon mounts the can be used on several manual lenses. For example, I have a very old 50mm f/1.4 Nikon lens (manual) with a Canon mount.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Canon at the moment is pretty behind on the sensor tech (2 stops in D-range for example) and even an occasional turkey (the T4i sensor is as bad as a Nikon D80 one from 2006), and the camera is just basically a sensor. In earlier times, all the rest was the most important as any camera could use a Velvia 100 film and have "the best full frame colour sensor". With DSLR's its the other way around. You better buy the best "film" you can get for you money, and invest in good glass with your choice, and don't bother too much about grip, ease of use, functions etc. They will be replaced by you in 2-3 years.
Sony and Nikon have the best sensors (they co-develop them), and of those 2 Nikon has the best glass and glass history, so I think in 2013 there is only one brand to pick if you're fresh to the game without glass investment. It's the N brand.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Canon at the moment is pretty behind on the sensor tech (2 stops in D-range for example) and even an occasional turkey (the T4i sensor is as bad as a Nikon D80 one from 2006), and the camera is just basically a sensor. In earlier times, all the rest was the most important as any camera could use a Velvia 100 film and have "the best full frame colour sensor". With DSLR's its the other way around. You better buy the best "film" you can get for you money, and invest in good glass with your choice, and don't bother too much about grip, ease of use, functions etc. They will be replaced by you in 2-3 years.
Sony and Nikon have the best sensors (they co-develop them), and of those 2 Nikon has the best glass and glass history, so I think in 2013 there is only one brand to pick if you're fresh to the game without glass investment. It's the N brand.

If that was the case, only Nikon Cameras and lenses would be selling.
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/02...ngs-for-reuters-best-photos-of-the-year-2012/

But then, after looking at all of these Nikon lenses and Cameras I have to agree with you :)
http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=work_gallery&no=435970

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I use the Nikon D7000, but I'd get the Nikon D7100 because that's the newer one.

Yes, new camera bodies from Nikon, Canon, Sony, and the rest offer the newer technologies and features. Yours was a good choice.

I could be wrong, of course, but camera bodies come and go like the seasons, while lenses are here to stay. Both Nikon and Canon have similar glass relating to quality and such. Canon has good and not so good glass, and the same can be said for Nikon.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I know you didn't mention it but the Nikon D7000 is cheap at the moment with the release of the D7100.

i just got it and its incredible.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I would the buy the brand that most of your friends have. Why? So you can share glass.

That said I'm heavily Nikon biased. Better glass and pictures. Don't care for video.

Except all of them except two guys are actually using Nikon. :p

Ah, I see. You didn't get it? Those white and black lenses you see in the link I posted are Canon cameras and lenses. It's a joke played on Nikon users :)

Share glass? No way man. I would share a camera body any day, my shoes, my horse, and maybe my truck,but not some of my L lenses :

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.