Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omenaudio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Hey!
My mac pro is dead...And i need to recover a folder from the trash.
I've pulled the hard drive out of the MP and and plugged it into a external drive to see if i could find the trash folder with finder but i cant see it in users. like this
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/274745/

Is there a way i can view the files and recover them another way?

thanks heaps for any help

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Hey!
My mac pro is dead...And i need to recover a folder from the trash.
I've pulled the hard drive out of the MP and and plugged it into a external drive to see if i could find the trash folder with finder but i cant see it in users. like this
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/274745/

Is there a way i can view the files and recover them another way?

thanks heaps for any help

Boot from the old drive. Go to Preferences, Startup Disk and select the External. Then reboot....

Or just Restart and hold the Option Key until you see the choices. Choose the old drive. Then you can go into the Trash, recover the files and put them onto the other HDD (look for it in the Finder Sidebar). Minimally, you can pop them into the Public Folder which you can access without needing to change Write Permissions. Then unplug the old/external HDD and restart back to your regular HDD and move the recovered files to where you want them.

Luck.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
it just keeps crashing...
asking me to hold down power button and reboot

Well trash files are stored in a hidden folder. You should be able to access them mounting it in another machine with hidden files and folders displayed. Your issue is obviously hardware. If you made any upgrades recently, revert them and see if it still crashes.

omenaudio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Thanks heaps
Once the files were unhidden i was able to view the MP OSX trash folder from my MBP from a external HD.
The file i wanted wasn't there. Which is weird because i'm sure i hadn't empty the trash. There wasn't a lot of files in the trash. Again which is weird because i'm sure i hadn't emptied the trash in a while.

Oh well at least i learnt something. I'd never used Terminal till today.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.