Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:10 PM   #51
Gigaman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
Ive is very influential, his boring ip5 design influenced me to buy a galaxy s3.
Hm, a JD power award, which includes design, given to the iPhone, several years straight I might add, begs to differ. But enjoy your toy spaceship!
Gigaman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:00 AM   #52
Tech198
macrumors 601

ah.. the serious look ....:|
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:07 AM   #53
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Not surprised to see Ive in there. Deserves it.
Seriously ?
roxxette is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:17 AM   #54
joemod
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCW11 View Post
Pretty sure Tim Cook will drive Apple into the ground unless their board wakes up and turfs him. All of Apple's current troubles can be attributed directly to him, he was the guy that saw Apple Maps app and decided, "yeah, its good enough to release" and then went on stage at a keynote and had the audacity to proclaim it was the most advanced maps app ever made.

When a CEO loses $300 in stock price in a little over a year, that IS the WORST CEO IN HISTORY.
Although I know nothing about stock market I believe that stock prices get manipulated. I don't think for example that google deserves to be at 800$ and read predictions of reaching 1000$.
Also anyone becoming CEO after Jobs would get unfairly compared with him and getting rater poorly (Jobs would do this, Jobs would do other etc). Jobs was a legend and believe me I am not a fan of him.

Last edited by joemod; Apr 19, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
joemod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:59 AM   #55
Fishticks
macrumors regular

So here is the list of the 100 owners/CEOs of companies that pay the most for ads in Time's magazine.
Fishticks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:14 AM   #56
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc34 View Post
Any teachers, nurses, librarians on this list? Bet they are way more influential than some iphone designer. What has he influenced? Maybe he influences samsung to make copycat phones, but that's not real creation. I think influential people influence people to CREATE for the common good.
You're joking right?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:08 AM   #57
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishticks View Post
So here is the list of the 100 owners/CEOs of companies that pay the most for ads in Time's magazine.
Did you actually look at the entire list?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:23 AM   #58
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
Seriously ?
Seriously.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:52 AM   #59
brianc34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevion5 View Post
Man of the year 1939

Attachment 408519

And? Trying to prove a point? If so, you failed miserably.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
You're joking right?
Nope. I haven't been influenced by a phone, and never will be.
brianc34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:28 AM   #60
koban4max
Banned

I don't see how Ivy is influential. If making slimmer and lighter is something that WOWs people...by golly...he's amazing...because to me...ipad and computers are same thing to... I don't see any different other than faster processors.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:36 PM   #61
chadley_chad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by usersince86 View Post
I may be missing something, but...
- many laptops seem to look like MacBook Pros
- many tablets seem to look like iPads
- many smartphones seem to look like iPhones
- no other all-in-one comes close to the iMac's design

Sorry, but J. Ive is [one of] the best, whether you "get it" or not. (IMHO)
All laptops and phones look similar; the key difference is in the materials used.

I'll give credit to Ive for designing the Macbook, iMac etc ... but I will add:

* once one was designed, it was easy for the rest to follow suit.
* These products were designed some time ago; so what has Ive done since then?
* Even then, it was only a matter of 5 or 6 products
* Its easy enough to design a great product, but most kudos should go to the engineers who actually built these machines; its easy for Jobs and Ive to sit there shouting 'it must look like this and have this and that', but they didn't do the hard work to create the finished product!
* Ive could have made the iMac better by loosing the chin ... but he didn't; and IMO the design went downhill from the white iMac.
* Same goes for the latest iPod nano ... its a kids toy
* Then we have no Powermac
* A boring Mac TV
* No design upgrade on the iPod classic
* No new monitors
* Great iPad mini's yes ... but no retina
* No optical drives!!!
* ... and finally the iPhone which style wise died as soon as they moved from the iPhone 3 design!

If you sit down and think about it; design, style and innovation died a LONG time ago at Apple!

Meanwhile, others are copying Apple ... GREAT! I'm happy about that if it gives me a better product; and as we all know, its not as if Apple didn't copy or steal ideas themselves!!!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
You're forgetting Ive's premiere product design that set all things in motion.... the iPod.
Of course, and thats why Apple has been resting on its laurels for so long ... they've been taking inspiration from Ive!

Maybe I should draw a great product, get someone else to do the hard work and actually design and manufacture the thing, then take the glory for the next 20 years!!!!
chadley_chad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:14 PM   #62
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
All laptops and phones look similar; the key difference is in the materials used.

I'll give credit to Ive for designing the Macbook, iMac etc ... but I will add:

* once one was designed, it was easy for the rest to follow suit.
* These products were designed some time ago; so what has Ive done since then?
* Even then, it was only a matter of 5 or 6 products
* Its easy enough to design a great product, but most kudos should go to the engineers who actually built these machines; its easy for Jobs and Ive to sit there shouting 'it must look like this and have this and that', but they didn't do the hard work to create the finished product!
* Ive could have made the iMac better by loosing the chin ... but he didn't; and IMO the design went downhill from the white iMac.
* Same goes for the latest iPod nano ... its a kids toy
* Then we have no Powermac
* A boring Mac TV
* No design upgrade on the iPod classic
* No new monitors
* Great iPad mini's yes ... but no retina
* No optical drives!!!
* ... and finally the iPhone which style wise died as soon as they moved from the iPhone 3 design!

If you sit down and think about it; design, style and innovation died a LONG time ago at Apple!

Meanwhile, others are copying Apple ... GREAT! I'm happy about that if it gives me a better product; and as we all know, its not as if Apple didn't copy or steal ideas themselves!!!!!

----------

Of course, and thats why Apple has been resting on its laurels for so long ... they've been taking inspiration from Ive!

Maybe I should draw a great product, get someone else to do the hard work and actually design and manufacture the thing, then take the glory for the next 20 years!!!!
Wow I guess he's conned a lot of people then. Instead of getting a promotion, Cook should have given him the boot. I mean if someone else had his job we'd actually see innovation at Apple again.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 04:26 AM   #63
chadley_chad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Wow I guess he's conned a lot of people then. Instead of getting a promotion, Cook should have given him the boot. I mean if someone else had his job we'd actually see innovation at Apple again.
If they'd have employed me I would have made the iMac chinless (and put the SD slot back on the SIDE (not the *********g back!) and optical drive back). I would add a tv tuner and optical drive to the mini to create the best media server ever, had powermacs updated a year ago, made iWeb the software it should have been, delivered a better iPod nano instead of some kids toy and with the iPhone, curved it more (a cross between the HTC One and iPhone 3), added a 4.5" screen and micro SD. For the iPad range, again micro USB, retina on the mini at launch, created a wireless keyboard with number pad, introduced wireless charging to phones and iPads and developed the iPod classic further. That's after I'd dumped maps and invested some of all that money into reducing prices.

Can anyone let me know if the above ideas are lame, unwanted by most and why the 'Great Ive' hasn't instigated any?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigaman View Post
Hm, a JD power award, which includes design, given to the iPhone, several years straight I might add, begs to differ. But enjoy your toy spaceship!
I don't give a stuff about what one guy at JD Power thinks about the iPhone. I think the design is staid and boring and unadventurous; and this coupled with an outdated OS, small screen, lack of SD expansion (just greed on Apples part!) and a host of other features like wireless charging makes previously keen apple customers like myself move elsewhere. I love the S3 after holding it against my iPhone ... and I don't care if it's got a plastic back when the unit as a whole is quality and offers all thse features. In the end I went with a Lumia 820. It's heavy yes but it's a 10/10 quality unit with a host of fantastic features which pour scorn on my old iPhone .... Moving away (until apple can do better) was the best move I ever made; and I laugh as even iPhone 5 users at work look at my mobile, then theirs and say 'I wish I didn't buy this phone'.
chadley_chad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:04 AM   #64
mr666
macrumors member

"Lol at how Samsung's CEO's article is written by the worst Apple CEO in the history of the company. "

I am sure most of us would vote Gil Amelio as the worst. Mr. Clone almost killed Apple. After the disastrous clone program, he is best known for this quote:
"Apple is like a ship. That ship is loaded with treasure, but there's a hole in the ship. And my job is to get everyone to row in the same direction."

The only thing good that happened at Apple during Amelio's tenure was bringing Steve Jobs back. Jobs' first order of business: Get rid of Amelio.
mr666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:19 AM   #65
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
You're forgetting Ive's premiere product design that set all things in motion.... the iPod.
What about the original iMac, I think that was his premiere product that set things in motion.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion