Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:15 PM   #276
CShort
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2 View Post
Reminds me very much of that IDC forecast last year, in which they said Windows Phone would grow to 20% and overtake iOS. Same entirely made up nonsense.
That was a prediction for 2015, 2 years to go!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
This is exactly what the study is saying. All feature phone to smartphone switchers will be getting an iPhone.
That won't follow in the rest of the world outside of the US given the price of the iPhone. Carriers outside of the US don't subsidise like the US does.
CShort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:07 AM   #277
Ugg
macrumors 68000
 
Ugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Penryn
Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
I'm 35. Can't I do what I like?
So is it the fact that iOS is sandboxed? Apple has always run a closed OS, so I'm really and honestly confused why people are have a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconsonly View Post
I'm curious why would you call the functionality of a os that isn't sandboxed novelty? Also how do I change the file name of pictures taken with a iPhone 4? If you can't answer the questions don't try to guess my age or call me names.

As above, Apple has always sandboxed its OS, why the seemingly feigned surprise? It's never been a secret.

I have a 4S and to be honest, I've never renamed a photo on my phone. I usually do it on my desktop. Sorry I can't help and I agree it's annoying and I suppose for a pro or semi pro, it would be a serious handicap.

However, and I don't mean to be rude or condescending, I really don't understand why people are 'bored' with it. To me, an adult isn't going to get bored with a phone's OS. I think it's an honest question and I don't intend to offend.

In my experience, boredom comes from within.
__________________
Check out <Peter's family tree!
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 02:20 AM   #278
sneaky butcher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
So is it the fact that iOS is sandboxed? Apple has always run a closed OS, so I'm really and honestly confused why people are have a problem with it.




As above, Apple has always sandboxed its OS, why the seemingly feigned surprise? It's never been a secret.

I have a 4S and to be honest, I've never renamed a photo on my phone. I usually do it on my desktop. Sorry I can't help and I agree it's annoying and I suppose for a pro or semi pro, it would be a serious handicap.

However, and I don't mean to be rude or condescending, I really don't understand why people are 'bored' with it. To me, an adult isn't going to get bored with a phone's OS. I think it's an honest question and I don't intend to offend.

In my experience, boredom comes from within.
i think its becuase folks have seen android develop and add features so they feel like they're getting a raw deal when apple does nothing. IOS still doesnt have live tiles/widgets type feature, no quick toggles , very limited customization. Its not like they dont have the money to do somehting.
sneaky butcher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:25 AM   #279
PadreQuevedo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle
After playing around with Galaxy S4 for a couple of minutes I think Apple will lose a lot of customers. It is indeed orange and apples.
__________________
MacBook Air, Time Capsule 1GB, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Galaxy Note 3
PadreQuevedo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:46 AM   #280
RobNYC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
First you are trying to lie, now you are trying to insult. Perhaps another "honest mistake"?
Or maybe you're just insane?
RobNYC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:03 AM   #281
Elvergun
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebuddha View Post
This is the part that I don't understand about the complaints against Android: The constant tinkering. It's not like Android is FORCING you to change layouts/launchers/UI every day. What exactly is it that's forcing you to do the constantly tinkering?

The way I understood your argument was, I want simplicity, I want the OS to restrict my freedom and choices so that way I won't tinker as much. Don't you have enough self control to not do it? When I first got my Note 2, it took me a few hours to set it up my icons/widgets/layout. That was back in Nov last year and I haven't had the need to tinker with anything since then. IT JUST WORKS.. just like the Apple devices, except with a whole lot more flexibility and capabilities.
On the other hand, this argument that Android gives so much flexibility and tinkering ability is just as flawed as the point trying to make.

I tweaked the hell our of my Incredible the first two months after I got the device...and then I did not tinker for the next 20 or so months. In the end, my "tweaked" Android looked a lot like my new iPhone 5. I did not use any widgets (they are mostly useless and eat up the battery)...so my layout was a bunch of icons on the main screen, with the phone/email/messages/browser at the bottom. Tinkering for hell of tinkering? I have better things to do.

The funny thing is that I'm finding more useful apps to tweak my jailbroken iPhone than I did with my rooted Android. This is what it all comes down to, I guess...the iPhone seems to have better and more refined apps...and to me that is more important than icon layout and useless widgets.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
I'm curious to know how old you are. I've seen quite a few posters state how 'bored' they are with iOS and can only assume that there is an age factor involved. Is novelty that important?
He is probably a Korean student...in his early 20s.
Elvergun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:35 PM   #282
bchery21
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
[QUOTE=saturn88;17197236]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchery21 View Post
"Sorry" - meaning I regret. Meaning I wish Apple did better. Any more questions?
None. Thanks for the clarification.
bchery21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:40 PM   #283
No5tromo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallManNY View Post
why did you buy a 4S when the 5 was out?
Cause iPhone 5 costs 720 euros or about 900 dollars where I live (and no I'm not on contract and I don't want to be on contract) and they have identical OS's. In other words what I can do with 5 I can do with 4s and I don't care about the slight hardware upgrade, it's not gonna change my life a bit.
No5tromo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:00 PM   #284
Iconsonly
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
So is it the fact that iOS is sandboxed? Apple has always run a closed OS, so I'm really and honestly confused why people are have a problem with it.




As above, Apple has always sandboxed its OS, why the seemingly feigned surprise? It's never been a secret.

I have a 4S and to be honest, I've never renamed a photo on my phone. I usually do it on my desktop. Sorry I can't help and I agree it's annoying and I suppose for a pro or semi pro, it would be a serious handicap.

However, and I don't mean to be rude or condescending, I really don't understand why people are 'bored' with it. To me, an adult isn't going to get bored with a phone's OS. I think it's an honest question and I don't intend to offend.

In my experience, boredom comes from within.
I didn't find your response rude or condescending in the least, and I must agree with you to a certain extent because i wouldn't switch os's unless my current os failed to meet my needs due some lifestyle change or the os lost all support.
Iconsonly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:08 PM   #285
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
You love Apple products and use them everyday but something is wrong?
Yes, that is what I said.
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:13 AM   #286
mobilebuddha
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Actually, no. the other side of the argument makes perfect sense to me, and frankly many people like me who switched to Android. Keep in mind that I don't root.. I happen to use good for enterprise and it doesn't work on rooted phones.

As I've said numerous times over many threads, there are some functionalities that I wish Apple would have but unfortunately someone up at the top of Apple just can't get it through their head:

1) one size doesn't fit all, I want a pocketable 5.5-6inch phone, use your famous apple magic and make it happen! Don't give me BS excuses such as "oh we know the 'perfect' size of an iphone is 3.5, nevermind, 4 inches".

2) let us have launchers apps, so people can innovate your UI if you (Apple) are too god damn lazy to do it yourself.

3) widgets, I've said it so many times, 1 click for me to look at how much time it takes for me to get to work, or an office. just 1 click on my home screen. How hard is that to create? apparently impossible by Apple.

4) true multi-tasking. You can even have a switch that says "hey turn this on and your battery life will be shiieeet", but at least let us power users have the OPTION of turn on real multi-tasking, so our apps can download stuff in the background, such as good for enterprise, or wechat, or viber, or line. I use my smart phone as a substitute computer when there isn't one near by (out for lunch/dinner/drinks and need to forward a ppt, set up a meeting, that kind of thing)

All of the above things are available to Android because the OS and frankly the people who envisioned this platform made it a top priority to give its users OPTIONS and CHOICES. And Apple, you might be right, your average iphone/apple fanboys might not want these, but your typical road warrior/enterprise business users would love to have these features. Aren't you looking to make more inroads into the workplace? Make these features happen in iOS7.. and shut up and TAKE MY MONEY!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvergun View Post
On the other hand, this argument that Android gives so much flexibility and tinkering ability is just as flawed as the point trying to make.

I tweaked the hell our of my Incredible the first two months after I got the device...and then I did not tinker for the next 20 or so months. In the end, my "tweaked" Android looked a lot like my new iPhone 5. I did not use any widgets (they are mostly useless and eat up the battery)...so my layout was a bunch of icons on the main screen, with the phone/email/messages/browser at the bottom. Tinkering for hell of tinkering? I have better things to do.

The funny thing is that I'm finding more useful apps to tweak my jailbroken iPhone than I did with my rooted Android. This is what it all comes down to, I guess...the iPhone seems to have better and more refined apps...and to me that is more important than icon layout and useless widgets.

----------



He is probably a Korean student...in his early 20s.
mobilebuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:35 AM   #287
Bantz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Unlikely considering over a million Android devices are activated a day.
Bantz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:33 AM   #288
Elvergun
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebuddha View Post
Actually, no. the other side of the argument makes perfect sense to me, and frankly many people like me who switched to Android. Keep in mind that I don't root.. I happen to use good for enterprise and it doesn't work on rooted phones.

As I've said numerous times over many threads, there are some functionalities that I wish Apple would have but unfortunately someone up at the top of Apple just can't get it through their head:

You make some good points. I do prefer Apple, but there is no question that they could improve iOS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebuddha View Post

1) one size doesn't fit all, I want a pocketable 5.5-6inch phone, use your famous apple magic and make it happen! Don't give me BS excuses such as "oh we know the 'perfect' size of an iphone is 3.5, nevermind, 4 inches".
Yeah, they are being somewhat condescending with this argument. I don't know if a 4 inch screen is the perfect size since I have never owned a phone with a large screen. If they came out with a model with a bigger screen and the 4 inch iPhone sold more units, they could always discontinue the bigger phone and then they could tell us, "we told you so".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebuddha View Post

2) let us have launchers apps, so people can innovate your UI if you (Apple) are too god damn lazy to do it yourself.

3) widgets, I've said it so many times, 1 click for me to look at how much time it takes for me to get to work, or an office. just 1 click on my home screen. How hard is that to create? apparently impossible by Apple.
The one Jailbreak tweak that I will not be able to live without is NCSettings. Its just mind-boggling that something like this is available only if you Jailbreak. Why not allow this app in their app store...or better yet, incorporate it into their OS.

If Ferrari thought like Apple, they would release a car with 8 gears, but the owner would only be able shift up to the sixth gear. Ferrari would then say something like, "we feel it is unnecessary for people to go that fast, so we locked the gear system".



Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebuddha View Post

All of the above things are available to Android because the OS and frankly the people who envisioned this platform made it a top priority to give its users OPTIONS and CHOICES. And Apple, you might be right, your average iphone/apple fanboys might not want these, but your typical road warrior/enterprise business users would love to have these features. Aren't you looking to make more inroads into the workplace? Make these features happen in iOS7.. and shut up and TAKE MY MONEY!
I hear you...but I do know plenty of road warriors that chose the iPhone over an Android phone. It's a good thing we have options or we would end up with only one OS. Imagine an Android fanboy having no option but to use an iOS device. I know I would hate it if I was forced to go back to Android...unless the Android I was forced to use was the HTC One.
Elvergun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:38 AM   #289
Carouser
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebuddha View Post
Actually, no. the other side of the argument makes perfect sense to me, and frankly many people like me who switched to Android. . . . All of the above things are available to Android because the OS and frankly the people who envisioned this platform made it a top priority to give its users OPTIONS and CHOICES. And Apple, you might be right, your average iphone/apple fanboys might not want these, but your typical road warrior/enterprise business users would love to have these features. Aren't you looking to make more inroads into the workplace? Make these features happen in iOS7.. and shut up and TAKE MY MONEY!
If you want those things, and Android offers them, and you switched to Android, why do you want Apple to make what is basically an Android device? If Android does what you want, give them your money and don't look back.

Yet even though Apple doesn't do what you want, you wish they would, so that you could give your money to them instead of the competitor who meets your needs. It's almost like you are more loyal to Apple than 'iphone/apple fanboys'.

Also, do you actually think of yourself as a 'road warrior'? Wow.
Carouser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:29 PM   #290
mobilebuddha
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Simply put, there are things that Apple does that I like better. I like the hardware that Apple put out (just too small); Some of the apps are designed better on iOS than on Android (for example, I prefer children audio books over the Android offerings). Lastly, I own Apple stock and would prefer Apple over Android if all things are equal.

Regarding the road warrior comment, *shrug* that's what us older people call each other when we see each other working day in and day out in the hotels, airports, etc. You can make fun of it. Hell.. I make fun of myself most of the time for being tied to a laptop/cell phone like an addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carouser View Post
If you want those things, and Android offers them, and you switched to Android, why do you want Apple to make what is basically an Android device? If Android does what you want, give them your money and don't look back.

Yet even though Apple doesn't do what you want, you wish they would, so that you could give your money to them instead of the competitor who meets your needs. It's almost like you are more loyal to Apple than 'iphone/apple fanboys'.

Also, do you actually think of yourself as a 'road warrior'? Wow.
mobilebuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:16 PM   #291
showson1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Cool.. looks like more and more housewives are buying phones.
showson1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:36 PM   #292
pirg
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
Cool.. looks like more and more housewives are buying phones.
Or fewer and fewer parents are buying their children cheap android phones.

Last edited by pirg; May 9, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
pirg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:24 AM   #293
maciek
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
I use Windows Phone sińce one year and the only thing I want to change is to switch to higher model of Nokia phone. Windows are great in that you can change the look as wel the functionality of the start screen. The problem is that inexperienced user may have problem with that and he/she may prefer something ready out of the box. Things may change when young users got enough money to buy Nokia's and get bored with Android. On the other hand Microsoft should be mode aggressive in advertising Windows Phone, especially for younger segment.
maciek is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone Market Share Dips Slightly as Android Increases Lead in Global Smartphone Race MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 259 Feb 3, 2014 12:57 PM
T-Mobile Grows on iPhone Sales as Apple Registers Nearly Even with Android in Japanese Market Share MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 17 Oct 2, 2013 04:32 PM
Tablet Market Projected to Surpass Notebooks in 2013, Total PC Market in 2015 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 89 May 29, 2013 03:48 PM
iPhone vs Android market share %s dont tell the whole tale. Cool ppl only use iPhone. Bobby Corwen Wasteland 41 Jul 30, 2012 02:33 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC