Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
That is one ugly computer....

The minute you buy it, you've lost most of your money.
Windows computers don't hold any value, something to think about.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
people forget how sluggish and buggy windows(any release) machines get after a month or two. A lot of people have Macs just for that reason, I will never ever buy a windows machine again. Even older macs run better than the latest windows. And if you think win8 will save the day. Please refer to the early reviews of Win7, Vista, XT, and so on.

Lambros

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Sydney, Australia
It's substantiated, you just don't believe it. Whatever. Frankly, I'm much more overjoyed that you are at least using the correct word. Proper employment of the English language is a wonderful thing. I have no problem with you not believing what is otherwise obvious to everyone else. I'm not mad at all. In fact today is rather pleasant, though traffic to work sucked more today than yesterday, but I don't at all attribute that to you.

To claim falsely is to "assume" without substantiated evidence. Now both of us are happy.

Source: http://thesaurus.com/browse/claim+falsely

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I find it funny that a lighter desktop computer being lighter is seen as a 'plus.' I mean it is a plus, but it's a desktop not a laptop. You're not going to be carrying an iMac all the time.

I'll give you four:

• Ripping music from CDs. (not everyone buys music online)
  • Watching movies on DVDs. (not everyone streams/buys from Netflix/iTunes)
  • Installing software (not everyone downloads apps nor have a broadband connection.)
  • Reading discs from family members, photo labs, and clients.

What's so hard to understand that lighter IS better. Why wouldn't it be? This is how technology evolves.

As for the DVD drive. It's not like you can't use one. I use a DVD drive. A lot. But I'm actually happy they got rid of it. The internal ones were always an unreliable part of the machine.

RebornTheGame

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Qld, Australia
Be careful with absolutes

Its not a laptop, it sits on a desk. A couple of pounds are meaningless. My workstation weighs 97 lbs at last upgrade, but it its on/under a desk. Weight is meaningless in a desktop.

If you had qualified your statement "Weight is meaningless in a desktop" to "For many consumers..." you'd have been on more solid ground. I live with a disability and 80% of the time work on a computer that is on an overbed table. For me an AIO is a must and the lighter specs mean I can have a 27".

The beauty of living in a free society is that if a product doesn't suit your needs... don't buy it. I am pretty new Apple prosumer and 'love their work'. I understand there are long term Apple users who are disappointed with the recent products, and there are Windows fans who would never buy an iMac. I don't agree, but I can respect people can have a different view.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Its not a laptop, it sits on a desk. A couple of pounds are meaningless. My workstation weighs 97 lbs at last upgrade, but it its on/under a desk. Weight is meaningless in a desktop.

Want optical drive? Plug one in.

Even better, it is easily upgradable to a newer optical drive without having to rip your imac apart. Optical drives have moving parts. They collect dust. They fail.

I suspect that MOST apple customers will never use one. I know I've used the optical drive in my MBP about 3 times in 12 months. Even on my PC notebooks at work, less than 3 times in 12 months.

Most people probably aren't playing DVDs on their iMac either. This is what you have a machine (even if its a $50 dvd player) hooked up to your TV/home theatre for.

Yes, I get it - some people will miss it. But if apple build a machine that caters to 100% of people's needs (including all the random edge cases) by including every legacy device ever made (personally, I'm still jacked off that i can't buy any machine with an RS232 serial port) it will weigh about 50kg, take ages to boot because of all the legacy hardware initialisation, etc.

Somewhere, a line has to be drawn, and apple has drawn it. they were the first to ditch floppy drives and people bitched like crazy about that, too.

With USB memory sticks costing abuot $6 for 8gb, the "how will i transfer my files without a network!" argument goes out the window as well.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

The arguments against making it lighter are so stupefying I feel like I'm living in some bizarro world.

There's more to a computer than it just physically sitting ON your desk. Evolution, pushing the boundaries, transportation, the environment...

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
The arguments against making it lighter are so stupefying I feel like I'm living in some bizarro world.

There's more to a computer than it just physically sitting ON your desk. Evolution, pushing the boundaries, transportation, the environment...

Strawman... I don;t believe anyone is necessarily against making it lighter... Just making it lighter at the expense of retaining typical "desktop PC"
functionality, like expandability, customization option, etc...

I would have honestly preferred the 2011 form factor with the same weight, rather the newer components and add in an additional 3.5" HDD bay, additional I/Os, improve the screen even MORE, make it easier to access.

This is apple though. Of course they sacrificed functionality and useability to gain a sleeker form.

Not that I'm against it, I just wish they would let the form follow the function, rather than the other way 'round.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Just making it lighter at the expense of retaining typical "desktop PC"
functionality, like expandability, customization option, etc...

The iMac never had these in the first place... so I don't see how you can be talking about retaining anything.

Not that I'm against it, I just wish they would let the form follow the function, rather than the other way 'round.

Again, the new iMac is not any less functional than the 2011 iMac or the 2010 iMac or the iMac before that (excluding the RAM access on 21.5, of course).

I mean, I can recognise that many people want an expandable computer etc. (see my discussion with Yebubbleman in this very thread), but I don't find it fair for criticising the iMac for something that its not and never intended to be. Its like criticising a motorbike for not having more storage.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Its been weeks since last Apple's event that i read many nonsense thread like this.
How can you be disappointed from something NOONE has yet UNBOXED?
By SPECS?
Hey..its a GTX680MX within it !!!!:D
BY LACK OF EXPANDIBILITY?
Hey..get a Mac Pro instead or a Pc desktop because this is an AIO!!!

I really don't understand all this trolling.
Take a Windows8 machine an live your life,its not that important unless you're hired by Microsoft or Google..:rolleyes:
I can only complain about prices or delays in availability.,but after more than year waiting( first because of my..ehm..wallet..{i took a wonderful Korg Kronos so..}then because i choosed to wait)
i can wait some few weeks more.
Then if there's a problem is with mini...i mean they could find a way to fit within a Bto Discrete GPU..
a 640m for example,i hope that the next MacPro will bring some modular architecture to be used with mini as well,some kind of removable self powered Gpu,but we will see and next Hd5000 in Haswell will be really powerful as well..so..,by the way this is 2012 and fits my needs.

Last edited:

garpen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Its been weeks since last Apple's event that i read many nonsense thread like this.
How can you be disappointed from something NOONE has yet UNBOXED?
By SPECS?
Hey..its a GTX680MX within it !!!!:D
BY LACK OF EXPANDIBILITY?
Hey..get a Mac Pro instead or a Pc desktop because this is an AIO!!!

I really don't understand all this trolling.
Take a Windows8 machine an live your life,its not that important unless you're hired by Microsoft or Google..:rolleyes:
I can only complain about prices or delays in availability.,but after more than year waiting( first because of my..ehm..wallet..{i took a wonderful Korg Kronos so..}then because i choosed to wait)
i can wait some few weeks more.
Then if there's a problem is with mini...i mean they could find a way to fit within a Bto Discrete GPU..
a 640m for example,i hope that the next MacPro will bring some modular architecture to be used with mini as well,some kind of removable self powered Gpu,but we will see and next Hd5000 in Haswell will be really powerful as well..so..,by the way this is 2012 and fits my needs.

Now I'm disappointed that it was so thick I wait for the next update so it becomes even thinner. Why not make it so thin that you can not see it sucker :eek:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Now I'm disappointed that it was so thick I wait for the next update so it becomes even thinner. Why not make it so thin that you can not see it sucker :eek:

I want a 27" iMac I can fold up and put in my pocket. And runs iOS and makes phone calls when folded. :D

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I want a 27" iMac I can fold up and put in my pocket. And runs iOS and makes phone calls when folded. :D

Fear what you desire..you could have it for real,next Ipad 5 cannot have just a A7 quad core..or a Ive revamped Ios Gui..i suppose we have just stepped in the path of Ios-Osx fusion,even more now with Surface,next Air could join I-Os and Osx together,don't you think?
I hope to see a real digital pen from Apple instead of just finger writing as it is now or touch displays in next Macs.

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
will never buy another windows device again, just need December to hurry up and come so I can get my 27" iMac!

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
I wouldn't mind that HDMI input, it would simplify the use of the iMac as an extra monitor.

Other than that, it seems to be a miserable machine.

I will never understand how Win 8 became a reality. Win XP was eventually pretty ok, Vista was a major failure, I really like Win 7 - clean, stable, pretty neat (my htpc's running Win 7 Pro). And then Win 8. A friend got it installed on her work laptop. She felt like a very old lady when she realized that she just didn't understand how to do things. Such a misery.

edit: I see that this thread is pretty outdated. Sorry for bumping it...

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
as far as touchscreen, yeah, no thanks. For tablets and phones ok, but for extended computer work its just a major pain in the ass.

My arms aren't long enough (and I am 6' tall) to reach the screen on my desktop, I'd have to get much closer to it than I am, and that's just simply too close to sit to a screen this size (desktop I mean). But, it's a way these manufacturers can differentiate their (commodity) products from each other and from Apple, regardless the utility of the feature.

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
I dont think this is even the fastest windows computer and I know when I'm working I dont want to touch my screen if I did I will use my ipad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.