Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Tigerman82
macrumors regular

Android phone -> iPad - Wireless filesharing

I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini) and an iPad (4th gen. 16Gb). Is there any smart, wireless way to connect these two for file sharing etc.? Obviously I would like to take advantage of S3 Mini's memory (I have a 32Gb memory card inside) to give the iPad more space externally. For example, it would be great if I could somehow access videos with my iPad from my S3 Mini's memory card.

I have read about this a little and it seems that at least one way is to download an Android app called "Wifi Transfer Pro" and a special browser for the iPad and via a Wifi network download movies from the Android device. Unfortunately this method seems slow and you'd have to be connected to the same Wifi network.

It's amazing to me how you cannot just use bluetooth or whatever to transfer files from an Android device to an iOS device.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:26 AM   #2
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman82 View Post
I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini) and an iPad (4th gen. 16Gb). Is there any smart, wireless way to connect these two for file sharing etc.? Obviously I would like to take advantage of S3 Mini's memory (I have a 32Gb memory card inside) to give the iPad more space externally. For example, it would be great if I could somehow access videos with my iPad from my S3 Mini's memory card.

I have read about this a little and it seems that at least one way is to download an Android app called "Wifi Transfer Pro" and a special browser for the iPad and via a Wifi network download movies from the Android device. Unfortunately this method seems slow and you'd have to be connected to the same Wifi network.

It's amazing to me how you cannot just use bluetooth or whatever to transfer files from an Android device to an iOS device.
Download bump from both stores. Should be what you need.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman82 View Post

Bluetooth would be much slower than WiFi. You can try activating WiFi network sharing on the SIII mini and connect the ipad to that, then try the method you describe.
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:07 AM   #4
maflynn

Dropbox comes to mind, would that service fit the bill for your needs?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Tigerman82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Dropbox comes to mind, would that service fit the bill for your needs?
Well I guess I was looking a way to transfer files from the Android phone to the iPad without an internet connection. I have a Wifi-only iPad which will be disconnected from any network most of the time. I know I could just tether the iPad to the Android phone but the internet connection it has is pretty slow.

I might look into Bump but I'm uncertain that it will work with video files.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad