Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:10 AM   #251
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousifabdullah View Post
It depends on the video format. For example, 1080p H.264 content is no problem and can be played natively using QuickTime. MKV should pose no problem either, unless the content is hi10p. For a more detailed explanation, refer to this post by Menneisyys2: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1547504.

DTS support as of this writing is NOT included in nPlayer or any other player available in the App Store currently. This may or may not change, I've heard that some developers are negotiating the license for DTS support, so keep your eyes open.

I have no info on 3D other than it's not supported by any player in the App Store as of this writing. I don't see it changing either as the iPad lacks an autostereoscopic display and anaglyph 3D is simply a mess.
I could do OK with anaglyph 3D on the iPad. Keep in mind that it can be connected to a TV, monitor or projector. I don't expect more than that at this time.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:41 AM   #252
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
DTS support as of this writing is NOT included in nPlayer or any other player available in the App Store currently. This may or may not change, I've heard that some developers are negotiating the license for DTS support, so keep your eyes open.
I fyou jailbreak, RushPlayer+ supports DTS just fine. So does XBMC, but I don't recommend it for iPad 3 users.

Quote:
I have no info on 3D other than it's not supported by any player in the App Store as of this writing. I don't see it changing either as the iPad lacks an autostereoscopic display and anaglyph 3D is simply a mess.
CineXPlayer supports anaglyph 3D. I haven't tested its 3D, though.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 02:48 AM   #253
yousifabdullah
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
I fyou jailbreak, RushPlayer+ supports DTS just fine. So does XBMC, but I don't recommend it for iPad 3 users.

CineXPlayer supports anaglyph 3D. I haven't tested its 3D, though.
Yeah, as I said App Store players lack DTS. I won't delve into jailbreaking as it's not my territory.

As for CineXPlayer, thanks for the correction. It's funny I don't remember it having support for anaglyph 3D as I talked about it before.
yousifabdullah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 02:52 AM   #254
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
I won't delve into jailbreaking as it's not my territory.
You don't know what you're losing It's like MS-DOS vs. a true windowing system - JB'n iPads are so much more powerful.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:08 AM   #255
yousifabdullah
macrumors regular

Quote:
You don't know what you're losing It's like MS-DOS vs. a true windowing system - JB'n iPads are so much more powerful.
Without drifting too off topic, I know about and have experience with jailbreaking. There are uses for that, this coming from someone who helped port FFmpeg for iOS. However, on a moral level, I don't feel it's good to go about jailbreaking to the general public, certainly not on a public forum either. There are many users out there who don't know how to handle a jailbroken device and may screw things up. I couldn't live with myself knowing that I may have caused trouble for others by talking about it. But, that's just me. I know people have different views about this and I don't mind someone else talking about jailbreaking, as it's their decision to do so. That said, I know what I'm losing.
yousifabdullah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:04 PM   #256
cdonepudi
macrumors newbie

I have been researching many of these apps for a little project I'm working on.

The newer Honda Odyssey and Acura MDX have HDMI input. I am thinking of purchasing one in the near future. I would like to hook up my iOS device with the HDMI adaptor so that I can use the rear entertainment system without discs.

The audio systems are multichannel capable but I am not sure what codecs (AC3, DTS, etc) are supported. I'm pretty sure multichannel PCM will work.

Do any of the apps discussed in this thread output multichannel (5.1) audio through the HDMI adaptor? I have a collection of high-res multichannel FLAC music that I would love to play. MKV+DTS and MKV+FLAC movies as well.

Thanks
cdonepudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:14 AM   #257
cooa99
macrumors regular

Airplay not working on apps

Hi Guys,

I have on my avplayer HD, Buzz player and nplayer.

All these claim to airplay to the ATV.

When I try air play from the movies, all I get is the audio (and Icon) on the ATV.

Am I missing something here or is this not just simply false advertising?

plex on the other hand simply works ...
cheers
cooa99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 03:09 AM   #258
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooa99 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have on my avplayer HD, Buzz player and nplayer.

All these claim to airplay to the ATV.

When I try air play from the movies, all I get is the audio (and Icon) on the ATV.

Am I missing something here or is this not just simply false advertising?

plex on the other hand simply works ...
cheers
You're trying to play back non-HW-playable content (like MKV files) without switching to mirroring mode.

As I explained in several of my mirroring / multimedia articles (keep an eye on them here at the MR forum - they're pretty good), you either use mirroring to get a picture or convert those files to Apple-native ones for playback without having to enable mirroring.

I'd go with the latter as AirPlay mirroring is much inferior to direct playback.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:13 AM   #259
cooa99
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'd go with the latter as AirPlay mirroring is much inferior to direct playback.
I thought that the files I tried to airplay which did not works were mp4's ..... but I will double check again tonight

cheers
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:57 AM   #260
cooa99
macrumors regular

Ok, I have just tried with compliant mp4's and it looks like airplay only works when the files are on my ipad/iphone.

nplayer: The Airplay will not work when the files are on my samba shares, Is this the same for everyone?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 01:27 PM   #261
firecore
macrumors member

Quote:
You're trying to play back non-HW-playable content (like MKV files) without switching to mirroring mode.

As I explained in several of my mirroring / multimedia articles (keep an eye on them here at the MR forum - they're pretty good), you either use mirroring to get a picture or convert those files to Apple-native ones for playback without having to enable mirroring.

The new version of Infuse now supports AirPlay, even for non-Apple formats like MKV.

More info can be found on our blog.
http://fireco.re/QhTV
firecore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 01:48 PM   #262
Donka
macrumors 6502a

Any plans for network streaming or downloading support with Infuse e.g. SMB, uPNP or DLNA?
Donka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 01:49 PM   #263
firecore
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donka View Post
Any plans for network streaming or downloading support with Infuse e.g. SMB, uPNP or DLNA?
Yes, there are a few streaming options currently in the works, and we're hoping to have them available in early fall.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 01:59 PM   #264
slimm432
macrumors newbie

Infuse for iPhone and iPad. Best player on both devices. Can play anything you throw at it.

http://firecore.com/infuse
slimm432 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:55 AM   #265
Donka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecore View Post
Yes, there are a few streaming options currently in the works, and we're hoping to have them available in early fall.
Thanks - one to watch I think. Do you have any videos of the app in action? I haven't seen any reviews and I'm keen to see how this app performs.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:42 AM   #266
firecore
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donka View Post
Thanks - one to watch I think. Do you have any videos of the app in action? I haven't seen any reviews and I'm keen to see how this app performs.
Yep, we have a demo up on Vimeo here.
https://vimeo.com/62213671

Also, links to a number of reviews can be found here.
http://press.firecore.com
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:53 PM   #267
Donka
macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Will check them out.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:18 AM   #268
tomaseriksson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecore View Post
Im buying the player directly when you release streaming options. Looks awesome already, but I only have 16gb ios-devices so I don't have much space for storing media locally
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:42 PM   #269
Donka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaseriksson View Post
Im buying the player directly when you release streaming options. Looks awesome already, but I only have 16gb ios-devices so I don't have much space for storing media locally
Pretty much my thinking.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:21 PM   #270
pandabunny
macrumors newbie

To go back to the original AVPlayer topic - could anyone who updated to the new iOS 7 version say something about the changes? I'm kind of paranoid to update, it seems the last few updates were not really good or necessary.
pandabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 01:41 PM   #271
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabunny View Post
To go back to the original AVPlayer topic - could anyone who updated to the new iOS 7 version say something about the changes? I'm kind of paranoid to update, it seems the last few updates were not really good or necessary.
The interface was updated to an iOS 7 look, and it has some minor new features.

Depending on which version of AVPlayer you have: DTS support was removed some versions ago.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:51 PM   #272
yegon
macrumors 68000

Another update of AVplayerHD, appears to be working fine, although I did make local backups of the earlier version after past experiences.

Introduces "Dolby Mobile", no idea what that means, I'm yet to google it.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 04:16 PM   #273
Jack Tripper
macrumors member

How do nPlayer, AVPlayerHD and Infuse compare? I'm mostly playing MKV stored locally on the iPad.
Jack Tripper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 04:17 PM   #274
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
How do nPlayer, AVPlayerHD and Infuse compare? I'm mostly playing MKV stored locally on the iPad.
Get nPlayer. AVPlayerHD is definitely worse and less standards-compliant (see for example my direct comparison in my latest, dedicated article at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1652736 ).

I'll post a dedicated review of Infuse when the promised version 2.0 is released. Up until then, I don't elaborate on it.

Last edited by Menneisyys2; Nov 17, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 02:46 PM   #275
knazio
macrumors newbie

Hi

I bought nPlayer yesterday and otherwise it works fine, but I could connect to my synology nas only from my home network. I use smb and everything works fine with Oplayer and exactly same settings. With Cellular data or other wifi I get "network unreachable" error. Even when it gives that error message, I can play video normally from recently played list when using cellular network. As it work with Oplayer, I thought is it possible nplayer bug or am I missing something?

I login as smb://***.synology.me with my username and password. Title and workgroup are empty.
knazio is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps