Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erndomondo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
My graphics card had to be replaced and the hard drive was wiped out and the original os restored. I am a songwriter with a bunch of song bits recorded in my ipod touch voice memos. What is the best way to save the contents of my ipod- music, voice memos, pics and video? I'm afraid that if I hook up the sync cable, my ipod content will be eaten. Is there hope?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Your iPod Touch will only do automatic management on the install of iTunes it was authorized on. So it won't wipe it if you've just reinstalled iTunes as it'll see it as a new computer. So go ahead and connect it and move your memos off. :)

erndomondo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks Jessica. I am about to jump from the original Tiger os to the new Mountain Lion, which will wipe me clean again. So, when I hook up my ipod touch to the new os, then I will be able to transfer my ipod contents to the macbooks new os and new itunes?

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Hi erndomondo,
If you want to copy your files from iPod to Mac then you will need a third party program to do this.
When I went from Windows PC to MAC that's what I had to do. I also bought an iPod Nano with music preinstalled and wanted to keeps that music prior to synching/wiping the Nano, so I used a program called iRip.
http://thelittleappfactory.com/irip/index_irip1.php

There are a few of these programs around so I suggest to try out the demo versions and see which one(s) suit you before purchasing. Or you may be lucky to find one that does the job for free, or the demo version may allow you to copy all your files (there's usually a limitation on the number of files allowed when in Demo mode).

Good luck! :)

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Actually there is no straight forward answer to this because of the convoluted way that iTunes and iOS sync things. Some things on your ipod will get wiped out when you sync it to the new computer. In particular, synced photos, music, and videos will get wiped out unless they already exist on the new computer. I hope you have backups or you will have a nightmare because Apple doesn't let you copy synced media off iOS devices.

erndomondo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
dang

Yeh. Thanks everyone. To Somedudeasking, the folks at Apple assured me I would lose my ipod content. I really should've upgraded os by os instead of jumping to the new one, but who knew my graphics card would fry?
I do have the slow, but sure option of emailing my voice notes, one at a time to my gmail acount and I backed up my song catalogue but later realized that I only saved "A" through "J". Live and learn, back up and upgrade as it happens. Thanks ya'll, Merry Christmas! Erndomondo

erndomondo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
ipod to mac

Thanks, everyone, Zmanbaseball2, looks like that sharepod link will do the trick. I'm a songwriter and I have a ton of snippets on my ipod voice notes.
Thanks again, erndomondo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.