Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukeniknak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I need some advice, I'm going to order an iMac tonight (well depending on these responses). I've always wanted an iMac and I can finally afford one without it affecting me a lot.

I've just got a few queries really. I'm going to get the newest iMac, 21.5" 8GB RAM.

I'd be keeping the computer in my conservatory (it gets quite cold in there at night but nothing serious as we have heaters etc.) So I'm just worried if that will affect it in anyway?

I like to use photoshop and video edit for school projects and my own personal use so I think this computer is good for that. As well as obviously like email, skype, msn, browsing etc.

I'm not a big gamer but I like to play the Sims 3 (I've done some research on this and got mixed responses) Does anyone know how well it will run?

If you could offer any other advice/tips then let me know, it'd be muchly appreciated :) I've always used windows so i'll be a newb to the new OS, i've read that its intuitive (I've only played a little on that OS and from what i've done i like it!)

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Sorry, I have no experience of iMacs, but Im new to Apple computers also, having bought my MacBook about 3 months ago.

I learnt most of what I know from this forum. Everytime I read a thread that had info I thought I might need in the future, I subscribed to that thread (click on Thread Tools at top of page). I often come across a topic that I need more info on, and I find refering back to my subscribed threads helps me a lot.

Good luck:)

lukeniknak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Sorry, I have no experience of iMacs, but Im new to Apple computers also, having bought my MacBook about 3 months ago.

I learnt most of what I know from this forum. Everytime I read a thread that had info I thought I might need in the future, I subscribed to that thread (click on Thread Tools at top of page). I often come across a topic that I need more info on, and I find refering back to my subscribed threads helps me a lot.

Good luck:)

good idea thank you

rjmCreative

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
I can't really speak of the base imac 21.5" model as I have not used one but I would think they are more along the lines of web browsing and light editing. You may find some slow times with processing video editing.

I just got a nicely loaded 27" and I have had zero issues this far (knock on wood).

Don't worry about the coldness. If you have heaters than I feel you should be fine. Just let the pc get up to room temperature. I do this so I can get the most life span out of my mac.

My best tip, go to an apple store and try the base 21.5" out for yourself. It should have some of the Adobe Creative Suite on there , that way you can see how well it performs.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Enjoy it and the newness, --which is a good attitude for learning the new OS. Expect to get a little frustrated for the first week or two. These forums are a terrific resource as the posters above mentioned. --And there are excellent books too such as David Pogue's The Missing Manual. Have fun & congratulations! :)

PS: I have 2011 base level 21.5" iMac and use graphics programs such as Adobe Creative Suite. Any problems are with Adobe or me, not the hardware, in my personal experience.

wndzr

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
Manchester, UK
From what I've been told, the 21" is, like somebody already said, more for light editing and nothing too demanding. I read a review earlier that said if you're considering spending money on a 21", you may as well try and stretch yourself to the 27" to get the extra performance.

It's also worth noting that upgrading the memory is very difficult on the smaller model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.