Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I was poking around today and ran into this:

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/TH.php?req=TH300

It seems to be a complete replacement for the Gitzo hub -- and it's solid aluminum.

It's not inexpensive, and I know you've ordered something from RRS, Phrasikleia, but if you don't get satisfaction from Gitzo you could get one of these and save the sticks.

The OP would still have to buy a new Gitzo to use that unless I'm mistaken. It mentions being fitted for a Series 3 Gitzo. She used a Series 2. A series 3 + that might be around the same cost as the RRS legset.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It's a predictable response, but why not Manfrotto? I've had one for years and it has withstood everything.

I would have to agree here. I've had my Manfrotto tripod, and it's been through hell and back and has withstood every test I have put it through. Now I don't do a lot of extreme shooting, however, in the 7+ years that I've had my Manfrotto tripod, it has been one item of photo gear that I know I can constantly rely on.

Gitzo is a great tripod brand (especially for the price of them), so it's odd that this has happenened to you yet again. It wouldn't hurt write a letter or email to their customer service department and explain your situation to them.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I would have to agree here. I've had my Manfrotto tripod, and it's been through hell and back and has withstood every test I have put it through. Now I don't do a lot of extreme shooting, however, in the 7+ years that I've had my Manfrotto tripod, it has been one item of photo gear that I know I can constantly rely on.

Gitzo is a great tripod brand (especially for the price of them), so it's odd that this has happenened to you yet again. It wouldn't hurt write a letter or email to their customer service department and explain your situation to them.

What I find interesting in this thread is that a competitor (Markins) makes a replacement part for Gitzo tripods. That tells me that there is something amiss in Gitzos quality control. I was split between Gitzo and Manfrotto when I went carbon fiber and decided on the Manfrotto. I have no complaints and Gitzo is now crossed off my gear wanted list.

Dale

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
What I find interesting in this thread is that a competitor (Markins) makes a replacement part for Gitzo tripods. That tells me that there is something amiss in Gitzos quality control. I was split between Gitzo and Manfrotto when I went carbon fiber and decided on the Manfrotto. I have no complaints and Gitzo is now crossed off my gear wanted list.

Dale

I have to agree with that, it seems like there is an obvious issue with this particular part when a rival builds replacement items for it.

Absolutely the OP should write a letter to Gitzo. Perhaps even suggest that they send one of their people out on a field trip with the photographer, so they can see the kinds of conditions this occurs in. If they are truly dedicated to their customers - they should do this. Gitzo isn't like some no-name budget brand, they are one of the big names in tripods. The problem piece obviously needs a redesign so it isn't susceptible to these failures. People are putting big dollar equipment on these tripods - they depend on them to be reliable.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Just a quick update for those who are interested. I sent the broken Gitzo in for warranty repair and received it back from them today. It took them about three weeks to return it to me, but they were closed for one of those weeks due to the holidays. Before I sent in the broken Gitzo, I purchased a new tripod from Really Right Stuff. It makes me a bit nauseous to have so much invested into a mere tripod (about double what the Gitzo cost), but at least I feel that I can trust this one. It's also more stable and nicer to use; I'm particularly enjoying the ratcheted angle stops and the luxurious leg locks. The bigger feet are great too. Anyway, I'm happy to have this saga behind me!

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Just a quick update for those who are interested. I sent the broken Gitzo in for warranty repair and received it back from them today. It took them about three weeks to return it to me, but they were closed for one of those weeks due to the holidays. Before I sent in the broken Gitzo, I purchased a new tripod from Really Right Stuff. It makes me a bit nauseous to have so much invested into a mere tripod (about double what the Gitzo cost), but at least I feel that I can trust this one. It's also more stable and nicer to use; I'm particularly enjoying the ratcheted angle stops and the luxurious leg locks. The bigger feet are great too. Anyway, I'm happy to have this saga behind me!

Great news P, it'll serve you well!

Ditto:)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I bought a carbon "copied" Gitzo aka Benro tripod a few years ago. Basically it was a copy of a Gitzo Series 1. Anyways to this day it works perfectly, even though I often overloaded it with a 400mm :p

Anyway I picked up a Gitzo Series 3 [to go with my GigaPan] a few months ago. It's already starting to act up, starting with how the locks sometimes slip now. Not too happy about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.