Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
When ever I go to start a conversation with my wife on her 4s the message starts out with a text.

The only way the message starts out as an iMessage is if she starts the conversation.

So most times we have two threads going. One in iMessage and one in text.

I have no problems starting conversations with other idevices iMessages starts just fine with them.

Thanks

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I would log off iMessage and re-log back in to deactivate iMessage in her 4S.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Ok, are you by any chance sharing the same Apple ID?...or for what ever mean did you happen to be using hers before with your AppleID and didn't do a full restore before her logging in using her AppleID? If so how many addresses show where she can be contacted via iMessage?
erejeveg.jpg

ehepy4eb.jpg

Reason why I asks is b/c maybe another contact email address maybe showing which is not the one you initiate a message, but when she iMessages you, yes she gets the correct one.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I was having this problem last Friday when there was the iMessage outage (right before Apple announced the problem). Call Apple and report the problem.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Yes, would be a good idea to set a genius appt at Apple or call Apple if nothing else works.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I got it fixed. All I did was change how I started the conversations in the messages settings. I changed it to my email address And not my phone number.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Well, the Mrs. Doesn't like the fact an email address shows up instead of my name on the lock screen, so the search goes on.

Simple fix: have her add your email address to your contact information on her phone.

Step by step:

1. Have the iMessage thread up on her screen, where your email address is showing. Tap your email address.

2. Tap "add to existing contact"

3. Look for your name. Touch it when you find it. Done!

Last edited:

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Simple fix: have her add your email address to your contact information on her phone.

Step by step:

1. Have the iMessage thread up on her screen, where your email address is showing. Tap your email address.

2. Tap "add to existing contact"

3. Look for your name. Touch it when you find it. Done!

She already has my email address added to my contacts. It did this anyways.

I changed it back to my number for starting conversations. I gave her a FaceTime call and that has fixed it. Now my phone recognizes her phone as an iPhone while starting an iMessage conversation. What a strange glitch.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Are you deleting threads? I ask because even if the next message is sent as an SMS, it should stay in the same thread. This should only be a problem when starting a new thread, never when replying to an old one. As has been said, there have been some iMessage issues.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Are you deleting threads? I ask because even if the next message is sent as an SMS, it should stay in the same thread. This should only be a problem when starting a new thread, never when replying to an old one. As has been said, there have been some iMessage issues.

It would never stay in the same thread. I could have multiple threads going to the same number. Oh well face time fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.