Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Augustine864
macrumors regular

Handbrake giving me unplayable m4v

Hi,

I've been backing up my blurays to my new rMBP using MKV and Handbrake. I done this back in 2008 with my DVDs before I deployed to Iraq, so that I could have my movies without taking them with me physically. I'm just getting back into it now.

I've backed up a couple with no problems. I set it to convert to mP4, (though handbrake always gives me a file with an m4v extension), I set the constant quality RF, and I then I let it do its thing.

Two movies so far though, will not play when they are done. It tells me its an unsupported format. In my case it has been Fargo and The Hurt Locker. Others play just fine after having had all of the same setting set. I have attempted to re-do the process in Handbrake but with no luck.

Have you all run into this before as well?
Augustine864 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2
allforpiratebay
macrumors member

Are those files larger than 4GB?
And what are you trying to play them using?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Augustine864
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforpiratebay View Post
Are those files larger than 4GB?
And what are you trying to play them using?

Yes, oddly. The ones that don't play tend to be larger than 8GB and completely random in their size, even when I try to re-do the process. The same file will come out to be a different size.

As far as what I'm trying to use to open them: anything. MetaZ won't recognize them to give them any metadata, itunes won't play them, vlc won't play them, etc. "Unsupported format".

I'm confused because I have just as many other movies that work fine and all came out to 2.4-3.5 GB consistently using the same process.

Edit: I also just encountered The Thin Red Line being converted with video no sound.

Last edited by Augustine864; Jul 1, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Augustine864 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video