Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have a late 2012 iMac, with a Time Capsule. I'm using Airport Utility 6.2, how do I find the logs for the time capsule?

I read briefly about people keeping an older version of Airport Utility, but I dont know if that works now on ML v10.8.4, but I'd rather use it with the newer version.

Surely I must be missing something, and Apple have provided a way to view the Time Capsule logs?

please help, I have random drops on my internet at the moment (iMac is wired, I can view my ISP router logs, nothing in there)

cheers

Last edited:

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
They removed that (and other) functionality from Airport Utility 6.x.

On Mountain Lion, version 5.6.1 of Airport Utility (a Snow Leopard version) works fine, and I just checked its working on 10.8.4. It has all of the old functionality you are looking for. The installer won't run on ML, so you need to use something like Pacifist to extract the app from the package. Give it a unique name and drop it into your Utilities folder. Alternatively, you can copy the app from a working Snow Leopard install.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
They removed that (and other) functionality from Airport Utility 6.x.

On Mountain Lion, version 5.6.1 of Airport Utility (a Snow Leopard version) works fine, and I just checked its working on 10.8.4. It has all of the old functionality you are looking for. The installer won't run on ML, so you need to use something like Pacifist to extract the app from the package. Give it a unique name and drop it into your Utilities folder. Alternatively, you can copy the app from a working Snow Leopard install.

A forum user here put together an Automator app to extract the 5.6.1 image for you. Works perfectly.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Whoops! Sorry. :eek:

I found another link to it on this page. I checked and it works.

Got it working! thanks, now I need to find out what all these logs mean!

I like Apple, but why remove something when its handy for users to have? even if its in an advanced menu or something?

cheers

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well I'm still getting intermittent drop outs from internet on my iMac. It is wired to the Time Capsule I have.

You can be surfing on Safari, then get a "not connected to internet" error, refresh and its ok again.

The logs says AFP session closing for 10.x.x.x and then login ok for 10.x.x.x etc

anyone help me diagnose?

cheers

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Well I'm still getting intermittent drop outs from internet on my iMac. It is wired to the Time Capsule I have.

You can be surfing on Safari, then get a "not connected to internet" error, refresh and its ok again.

The logs says AFP session closing for 10.x.x.x and then login ok for 10.x.x.x etc

anyone help me diagnose?

cheers

If Wired Ethernet connection keeps dropping it can only be two things - faulty cable or faulty router. Replace cable or router.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
If Wired Ethernet connection keeps dropping it can only be two things - faulty cable or faulty router. Replace cable or router.

I'm getting drop out when I'm surfing on my iMac which is wired to a Apple Time Capsule. Can be surfing and then suddenly get a "not connected to intent" and then refresh page and connected. I've checked the Time Capsule logs and get a "afp session closing"

Also I've just switched on the PS3 and this is also wired, and it has an error "Ethernet cable not attached (which it is securely), go into network settings on there, and it says "automatic" for all DHCP, IP addy etc, then it gets an IP etc, and then goes to automatic etc etc.

Can anyone help please?

I've restarted TC, router, PS3, iMac, hub, checked cables are pushed in ok etc but still getting them.

Basically my TC is in loft, wired downstairs to a hub, then iMac and PS3 is wired into hub, Virgin router/modem is also downstairs.

Could it be the hub? I was thinking cables, although they've been years and been fine?

any help please
cheers

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Basically my TC is in loft, wired downstairs to a hub, then iMac and PS3 is wired into hub, Virgin router/modem is also downstairs.

Could it be the hub? I was thinking cables, although they've been years and been fine?

Have you tried to test if direct connection (iMac/PS3 to TC, bypassing the hub) also drops? It might very well be the hub if it is not the cables.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
May have cracked it. I think it may have been an overheating hub. My modem was directly on top and was quite warm, thus heating up the hub.

I switched both off for an hour moved the modem from in top of hub and PS3 stays connected fine now....

jetlife2

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
Cincinnati, Oh
Turn on ipv6

Thanks for the link, saved me a huge hassle. See my post #8 here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1604218/
To make a long story short, the updated AU 6.3 refuses to find my new Airport Express, 5.6.1 works fine. Running 10.8.4 on a 2011 MBP, should work but it won't. :eek::apple::eek:
Thanks again. :cool:

The AU 6.3 will not find base stations if ipv6 is set Off in Network preferences. Set ipv6 to Automatic or Link-Local for each connection (wired, airport, etc) then 6.3 will work.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
The AU 6.3 will not find base stations if ipv6 is set Off in Network preferences. Set ipv6 to Automatic or Link-Local for each connection (wired, airport, etc) then 6.3 will work.
:cool: Thanks, that solved the AU version 6.3 not working issue. Apple should include that in BOLD in the setup manual. (If it is there at all I missed it completely). Anyway, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.