Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
.macbookpro.
macrumors regular

Unable to play movies on iPad Mini

Hello,
I'm going on holiday in a couple of days so its quite important that this is resolved before then
Anyway, I have three 1080p movies which are on iTunes, and they sync to the iPad fine, however the play button is greyed out so i am unable to watch them.
I have checked the required settings and they meet all of them, so I don't know the problem. I have changed the tags to 720p aswell, but there is no difference.
i can even watch it on home sharing.
thanks beforehand
EDIT: 900 views and not a suggestion? I am going in a day and a half, so I need to know soon

Last edited by .macbookpro.; Jul 27, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
.macbookpro. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Conan86
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .macbookpro. View Post
Hello,
I'm going on holiday in a couple of days so its quite important that this is resolved before then
Anyway, I have three 1080p movies which are on iTunes, and they sync to the iPad fine, however the play button is greyed out so i am unable to watch them.
I have checked the required settings and they meet all of them, so I don't know the problem. I have changed the tags to 720p aswell, but there is no difference.
i can even watch it on home sharing.
thanks beforehand
EDIT: 900 views and not a suggestion? I am going in a day and a half, so I need to know soon
Is it in the correct format? Might be possible that it wasn't fully sync'ed to the iPad. Happened to me once and the title was stuck in Video without the ability to play.

There's a better way to solve your issue now, get VLC for iPad. It works brilliant.
Conan86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:32 AM   #3
.macbookpro.
macrumors regular

I'm thinking it must be in the correct format, because it synced and it plays over home sharing. I did install vlc so I might just use that, however it would be nicer to have them in the stock app
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
I'm thinking it must be in the correct format, because it synced and it plays over home sharing. I did install vlc so I might just use that, however it would be nicer to have them in the stock app
You could try running the three through Handbrake and then re syncing them...handbrake is free

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Conan86
macrumors member

Quote:
What format is your file in? I'd suggest running handbrake too, but it'll be more troublesome and takes more time considering you're heading off soon. I'd suggest you to just use VLC and fix the problem after your trip
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:45 AM   #6
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a

This might sound obvious, but have you turned off the device completely? I've had a few quirks that are solved by turning my Apple devices off, and then back on. I know people leave them in sleep mode quite often, so this might help. A full reset might resolve your issue, and although it's a bit of a pain, it's better than waiting for an answer here. My Mini will play HD video from iTunes without a problem, so that shouldn't be an issue. Are you using home sharing through your Mac, or the Mini?
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:22 AM   #7
.macbookpro.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan86 View Post
What format is your file in? I'd suggest running handbrake too, but it'll be more troublesome and takes more time considering you're heading off soon. I'd suggest you to just use VLC and fix the problem after your trip
I actually had to re-download the movies in 720p, which should work, right?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Conan86
macrumors member

Quote:
I actually had to re-download the movies in 720p, which should work, right?
Oh. The files are from iTunes Store directly? If so it should work no matter 1080p or 720p.. Try the suggestion to restart by FrankB1191.. Remember to close all Apps in multitask bar and do the "hold Home + Power btn till Apple logo shows" restart
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:45 AM   #9
.macbookpro.
macrumors regular

that didn't work. Ill wait and see if the re-downloaded files work
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:40 AM   #10
.macbookpro.
macrumors regular

Re downloaded in 720p, and they work. I suppose it doesn't make a difference on an iPad Mini.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 02:15 PM   #11
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Re downloaded in 720p, and they work. I suppose it doesn't make a difference on an iPad Mini.
Actually it does make a difference. The Mini doesn't have a 1080p screen. Which could be why the files wouldn't play.

That said, it seems dumb that the itunes store and itunes player can't detect this kind of thing and stop you from bothering with a format you can't use. if it can keep you from putting an ipad only app on an iphone why can't it deal with the video format issue.

something for the feature requests I think. I'll have to drop that in the next time I'm filing a bug report
Old Aug 2, 2013, 02:24 PM   #12
FrankB1191
macrumors 6502a

The first movie I bought from iTunes was Star Trek (Chris Pine) in HD. It plays fine on my iPad 4, Mini, and iPod 5G. I've purchased other HD movies like Avatar, and they work fine on the Mini.
FrankB1191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad