Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:00 PM   #51
rei101
macrumors 6502a

The thing with video editing is that 80% of what is needed anybody can do it. Anybody has a computer powerful enough and software are easy and people have more access and understanding of video than 10 years ago. You can even edit in your cellphone!

Today you need to manage certain skills.
2D animation is a must, be awesome in after effects.
Learn xml because 80% of the job you are going to find are web related.
Learn Photoshop and photography, illumination too.
Audio.... at least the basics: EQ, normalize, compression, noise elimination. Learn Protools or any other simple audio software like Apple Soundtrack, but learn it well.

Then, take project management training, keep learning about how to manage an office financially. You need to learn how the money works. Because many people out there will take advantage of you, it will happen and you may end up working several months for free.

Do not get into partnerships or investors and never be naive! Do not trust anybody because you will lose money. Read "Rich Dad Poor Dad".

Again... do not be naive, never, ever! people will make you work for free. Be on top of the situation, master the situations.
rei101 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 02:23 AM   #52
DustinB85
macrumors newbie

Not to hijack this thread, I was actually about to start another one similar but I figure I would just ask here. I personally have been getting into video production and editing over the course of the last three years. I know that is not a long time especially since I do it as a hobby. I work at a bank and do mortgages for a careers which I love (the money is isn't bad either so I'm not looking to make a career per say in video editing/production. I have however gotten pretty deep into it and have started to have a decent amount of people approaching me asking me to do videos for them. They always offer to pay or ask me what I charge but I never know what is fair or what to say. I only started this because I enjoyed it and my real job lets me buy all the toys to do so. I do have a built Mac Pro work stations with any and all software you can think of, Adobe suite, FCPX & friends, DaVinci etc etc etc.plus I shoot on a Canon DSLR and have a few L lenses, mice and other equipment to get the job done well enough. I don't think I am great by any stretch of the imagination but I am getting enough requests where I do need to start charging since it is my time and my money invested.

What is fair/going rate for an editor that knows Adobe Ppro/FCPX well? I am still somewhat in the early stages of learning After Effects/Motion but I am picking it up quickly. I honestly have no real clue what people charge out there. Any input is great. Thank you guys.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 05:13 AM   #53
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
The thing with video editing is that 80% of what is needed anybody can do it. Anybody has a computer powerful enough and software are easy and people have more access and understanding of video than 10 years ago. You can even edit in your cellphone!
People can buy ingredients at the grocery store and prepare meals at home yet their is still a career for people that want to prepare meals for others. Guitars are readily from the local music store or pawn shop yet professional musicians still exist. The vast majority of the first world is literate yet people still make a living as journalists, writers and copy editors.

Amateurs, hobbyists and/or young professional having unprecedented access to gear & software shouldn't threaten experienced editors any more than people having access to hammers and saws should threaten experienced carpenters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinB85 View Post
What is fair/going rate for an editor that knows Adobe Ppro/FCPX well? I am still somewhat in the early stages of learning After Effects/Motion but I am picking it up quickly. I honestly have no real clue what people charge out there. Any input is great. Thank you guys.
This is a very common question that has no real answer. Location plays a huge part in this equation as an editor in rural Oklahoma isn't going to be able to charge as much as an editor in LA or NYC even if they have similar skill sets and work on similar types of projects. Even in LA or NYC some projects will pay $25/hr while others will pay $200/hr. There's not hard and fast rule.

You might want to call around to video businesses in your area and see what their rates are to get an idea.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:29 AM   #54
zyr123
macrumors regular

Career as Video Editor?

Just to update you all. I got into city tech in brooklyn. They have a pretty good film school. right now i'm on a gap year in israel.

Last edited by zyr123; Nov 9, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
zyr123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:25 AM   #55
gdeusthewhizkid
macrumors 6502a

wow guys thanks.

This is a great thread. I don't know how i bumped into this thread. But I live in the new york and new jersey area and it is hard to make a living in the entertainment industry as a whole. I was a music producer extensively for a long time since 99 and as of this year transitioned into photography, videography, and video editing. I've made a few bucks but nothing major. I also am a certified IT Professional and that is shaky as well. Coming from my experience it's hard to make money in both fields for me right now but Im thankful that I do have these talents because there's people that can't find a job period. Im thankful for IT because it keeps enough money in my pocket where I can afford new computer or a refurbished Mac Pro and do the upgrades myself. Teach myself Lightroom5, Aperture 3, and FCPx. But I love being creative even though the money isn't great. Im thankful to have a creative outlet...
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:43 AM   #56
gdeusthewhizkid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post

Today you need to manage certain skills.
2D animation is a must, be awesome in after effects.
Learn xml because 80% of the job you are going to find are web related.
Learn Photoshop and photography, illumination too.
Audio.... at least the basics: EQ, normalize, compression, noise elimination. Learn Protools or any other simple audio software like Apple Soundtrack, but learn it well.

Then, take project management training, keep learning about how to manage an office financially. You need to learn how the money works. Because many people out there will take advantage of you, it will happen and you may end up working several months for free.

Do not get into partnerships or investors and never be naive! Do not trust anybody because you will lose money. Read "Rich Dad Poor Dad".

Again... do not be naive, never, ever! people will make you work for free. Be on top of the situation, master the situations.
your response is great.. I will get that book on my iPad right now...
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:38 AM   #57
zyr123
macrumors regular

Currently uploading the video for my school that will be played on israel night back in the USA. I'll post it once its uploaded, basically israel night is when all parents and students from the NJ and NY area, come to hear representatives from israel who come to talk about the schools.
zyr123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 04:28 PM   #58
zyr123
macrumors regular

http://youtu.be/MwTABIX2KR4
Old Nov 9, 2013, 04:29 PM   #59
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyr123 View Post
Says it was removed by the user for me.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 04:44 PM   #60
zyr123
macrumors regular

Yeah sorry he's the working link. http://youtu.be/KTtPmq3rj9k
Old Nov 9, 2013, 05:24 PM   #61
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyr123 View Post
Yeah sorry he's the working link. http://youtu.be/KTtPmq3rj9k
Nice, I've always been interested in Israel.

At my high school there was something similar to this, but I didn't go, I was too busy in Los Angeles touring the film studios, lol

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video