Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I would agree with that. When you split a series down the middle and broadcast it 6 months apart, it's a bit unfair to expect the viewer to remember all the little subtleties that you've added in. I recognised the crack of time, but couldn't remember any more about the cause or solution as it was too far back since the episode aired.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
So anyway
time moves on… sort of
filming on S8 started today.
p01pffg0.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Peter-Capaldi-begins-filming-on-Doctor-Who

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Well, he's clearly still rocking Eleven's outfit so it looks like they're filming some very early scenes there.

Still no confirmation on the new Doctor's look - hopefully we're not looking at a frock coat.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Heh - I'd just logged on here to post that pic myself. :p

I quite like it. A bit quirky but not smack you around the head eccentric. Has a touch of Pertwee about it, I think, and a bit Teddy Boy as well.

Anyway, nice to see the Doc wearing Docs. I wear Docs. Docs are cool. :cool:

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
In other news, CEOs of bow tie manufacturing companies have seen a sharp increase in suicide rates.

--Eric

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
The way the weather has been down here in Who HQ this month, I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd gone for flippers and wet suit.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I love it. I thought of Pertwee too, though as Capaldi says - no frills.

Also made me think of Colin... not his actual costume, but the one he wanted to wear...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Thanks for the head's up, good to know! Earlier than I thought it might end up actually, so this is good news. Very excited to see Capaldi's take on the Time Lord...

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Can't wait for the new season. But I miss matt smith already. As my user name is the doctor 11...

Same here. Matt Smith is my favorite doctor. And my favorite companions has got to be to Amy/Rory, well more so Rory. Their last episode, "Angels Take Manhattan," I was a mess.

Though, I just saw Arthur Darvill do a parody of "Let it Go" on BBC Radio and it seems like he's tired of being just known as the guy on Doctor Who...kinda sad.

Last edited:

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Same here. Matt Smith is my favorite doctor. And my favorite companions has got to be to Amy/Rory, well more so Rory. Their last episode, "Angels Take Manhattan," I was a mess.

Though, I just saw Arthur Darvill do a parody of "Let it Go" on BBC Radio and it seems like he's tired of being just known as the guy on Doctor Who...kinda sad.

YouTube: video

:D Now that was just brilliant.
applause.gif

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The Beeb premiered a new trailer at half time during the World Cup Final last night.

http://youtu.be/TivqZTq5u6Y

Looks promising, or at least as promising as a trailer full of tidbits can be. ;) I do hope they take the series to a bit more of a serious, darker place, and I think Capaldi will be a good Doctor to do that, at least in comparison to the "human cartoon" that was Matt's Smith Doctor. Smith was fine, but Capaldi has the potential to bring a whole new spin on the character.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
doctor_who_deep_breath.jpg

Deep Breath premiered on the ABC at 4.55am yesterday (AU time), followed by cinema screenings Australia wide, and capped off with a second 7.30pm screening on the ABC. Around 250,000 set their alarms for the morning session, and over 1,000,000 caught the evening session, whilst cinemas - if they were all like the one I attended - were packed!

Capaldi's premiere story was an absolutely delight to this old school Doctor Who fan. Whilst the Scottish accent tended to occasionally make me feel like I was watching his old school/band buddy, Craig Ferguson, the man who would be Doctor #12 really delivered both on zane and darkness. Indeed, I counted no less than 3 occasions when the show went to places previously rarely visited...

1) Killing a sad lonely dinosaur in a massive fireball...
2) Mugging a homeless man...
3) Leaving Clara in the hands of the enemy...

Yes, nothing was in fact that clear cut... He did ultimately give the homeless man his gold watch as payment for the jacket... And he didn't actually leave Clara, so much as just allow her to be bait for his "trap"... And the dinosaur was - just a dinosaur - but these elements all added to the tone of the story, very much going places Smith rarely could.

The Doctor is dead. Long live the Doctor.

grazza72

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Is it me or does the new Doctor seem a little bit..ummmm...dysfunctional ?

It's been a recurring theme that the Dr is a bit odd straight after a regeneration. I'm quite confident he'll be a bit less erratic by next episode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.