Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I'm amazed no-one on here has ever talked about the Sonos system before considering it's an Airplay equivalent.

I'm looking into it and would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the system. At the moment I don't really like the idea that my MacBook Air needs to be on for it to work.

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
Your computer only needs to be on if that is your source of music. If you are sourcing from the internet or a NAS then your computer isn't needed. Assuming of course you aren't using your mac as a controller. That's my understanding from what I've read.

As with anything hifi it needs to sound good first and the rest comes later. I haven't yet listened but it seems like a pretty good solution if you are after a multi-room system or as an expandable alternative to an ipod speaker dock.

I currently stream from a gen 1 ATV to my hifi. I'm looking at options to extend music to other rooms and Sonos does look interesting.

Will keep an eye on this thread to see if we get any actual user views.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I used it for a few months when I moved back home, absolutely brilliant in theory but the software needs work (my issues may since have been fixed but I wouldn't know). We had it hooked up to our tv/playstation in the lounge, the family iMac in the kitchen, and then had speakers zoned thoughout the house and outside. It was amazing for parties and sports games, and just for isolating ones self with music around the house.

there were issues though. The software isn't exactly smooth, and sometimes I'd end up playing a song when I was trying to scroll. it also occasionally did a volume limiter thing that I couldn't for the life of me work out how to remove, and so I had to reset the system occasionally to fix it.

Id definitely look into it if i owned a house, and control by smartphone is very convenient.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Well I went ahead and bought it - it's absolutely brilliant. Sounds great and does everything I want it to. The software is cool, 6 months free Napster is awesome (and I may continue past the free trial), sound quality is amazing and the line-in on the Play 5 means I can stream literally any audio all around the house.

Set-up was seamless and it hasn't once dropped-out or had any hissy-fits (unike my Apple TV that did this constantly).

Only thing is it'd be nice to stream the music that's on my phone directly to the Sonos, although I understand this feature is imminent.

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I have went back and forth debating between Airplay and Sonos. Currently using Airplay and have really had zero issues with it. I think where Sonos wins out is how it ties into all the "cloud" music services, Spotify, Napster, even Amazon.

I keep going back and debating on switching to Sonos, I think part of that is because I am always looking into something new.

To answer the above, you can add Airplay into the Sonos network with an Airport Express to stream from your iOS device. http://www.sonos.com/airplay/

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
My parents have Sonos in their house, and it is indeed very cool. They have some of the wireless stations around the house and 2 remotes (there is also an app for ipad/iphone)

We mostly play music via pandora/XM or ipods and everything works as it should. Too bad when I visit I am the only one with an iphone 5 so that means I am the only one who can't dock their phone! Good thing I have an older ipod nano :D

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
My parents have Sonos in their house, and it is indeed very cool. They have some of the wireless stations around the house and 2 remotes (there is also an app for ipad/iphone)

We mostly play music via pandora/XM or ipods and everything works as it should. Too bad when I visit I am the only one with an iphone 5 so that means I am the only one who can't dock their phone! Good thing I have an older ipod nano :D

Your problems are over -- when you update your Sonos on your iPhone 5 you can stream music directly to their setup now. Works great.

My Sonos setup is almost my favorite part of my new house. It just works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.