Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ezra923

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
I know that wich is why im asking for examples from people who do have nfc in the alternatives forum lol

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I just bought some. I have one next to my bed which sets a few alarms + turns on wifi + turns off notifications + raises call volume to max + raises alarm volume to max.

I have another that's on my keychain that turns off wifi for when I go out + turns on vibration + sound.

I might put one on my bike somehow so that it turns on bluetooth to connect to my earphones.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I have a Nexus 7, and the battery life has been a problem, just looked at the use data, and the NFC pulled 38%, more than Android system.

Have never used it, just turned it off.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I have a Nexus 7, and the battery life has been a problem, just looked at the use data, and the NFC pulled 38%, more than Android system.

Have never used it, just turned it off.

That's very strange.

NFC only transmits while the screen is on and the device unlocked, and the working distance is about 2cm, so it shouldn't use much power at all. :confused:

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
That's very strange.

NFC only transmits while the screen is on and the device unlocked, and the working distance is about 2cm, so it shouldn't use much power at all. :confused:

I was surprised to see it as well.

Just updated the OS again, will tun it on again see if it continues.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Give me some examples on how you use nfc thanks!

I use it at various fast food and retail chains around here. I work at two Hospitals and they all have vending machines that have NFC enabled credit card readers. Always makes people go oohh and ahh and ask questions when I do it. To the point where it is faster to use my CC with everyone stopping me and asking me what I am doing! :p I also have a couple of NFC tags at home, office and in my car. For example my car's NFC toggles Bluetooth and Pandora. Lastly my GF has a Galaxy S3 so we are always sending websites, apps and pictures to each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.