Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I have a G5 iMac (I know, it's really old ) that I need to transfer files from to my new Mac Mini. The problem is that it won't start up. It's had this problem in the past, and all I had to do was open the back up and restart it as per Apple's G5 instructions.

The first LED light stays on, but the second one flickers then shuts off. Lights 3 and 4 do not come on. This has led me to believe that it's a problem with the power supply. However, I noticed that at least two capacitors are definitely bad, and I was wondering if replacing those ( and maybe replacing any more after a thorough check ) would solve my problem.

Or is the power supply the likely culprit?

Thanks,
JP

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's almost certainly easiest to just take the drive out and put it in a cheap USB enclosure if you just want to transfer files.
Capacitors went bad in the power supplies on those, so it may be both bad caps on the board and in the power supply.

jpa66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks.

I got a similar reply on the PPC forum, and replied to it. I'd do this fix if were easy enough, but I'm not too savvy when it comes to mucking around with computers, and I don't want to screw anything up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.