Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyrmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
hi just registered
i have an early 2009 imac core 2duo 2.93 ghz 8gb ram NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256 MB

i want to buy black ops from mac app store ( finally available )
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/call...30221719?mt=12

is it going to play
it says we do NOT recommend playing on these unsupported chips ... etc .. GT 100 series

45 $ are a lot if the game doesn't play on my imac

* sorry for asking again but in the other thread the question was about bootcamp and the windows version of the game .

i also e-mailed apyr support

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
hi just registered
i have an early 2009 imac core 2duo 2.93 ghz 8gb ram NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256 MB

i want to buy black ops from mac app store ( finally available )
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/call...30221719?mt=12

is it going to play
it says we do NOT recommend playing on these unsupported chips ... etc .. GT 100 series

45 $ are a lot if the game doesn't play on my imac

* sorry for asking again but in the other thread the question was about bootcamp and the windows version of the game .

i also e-mailed apyr support

Thanks for the interest and support spyrmac!

No doubt, Black Ops is taxing on Mac hardware. We put that notice on the store because we do not believe the experience on the GT100 series cards meets our standards. Granted, standards are subjective. Many have found a "playable" experience on lesser hardware. A few even play Black Ops on their MacBook Air. It just depends on what your version of "playable" is. For us, for a first person shooter, the experience needs to be smooth at default settings with little to no hitches.

That all said, if you still want to give it a go without support, just make sure you turn all the settings down.

spyrmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Thanks . I will try it maybe for Xmas . That's because I just cant play FPS on a console . I need mouse and keyboard . Plus I love my iMac .

AppleDev879

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011

No doubt, Black Ops is taxing on Mac hardware. We put that notice on the store because we do not believe the experience on the GT100 series cards meets our standards. Granted, standards are subjective. Many have found a "playable" experience on lesser hardware. A few even play Black Ops on their MacBook Air. It just depends on what your version of "playable" is. For us, for a first person shooter, the experience needs to be smooth at default settings with little to no hitches.

That all said, if you still want to give it a go without support, just make sure you turn all the settings down.

How do you think the game would run on a 21.5" iMac with ATI Radeon 4670?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
How do you think the game would run on a 21.5" iMac with ATI Radeon 4670?

As you noted in your other thread, 256 cards are unsupported for Black Ops so unfortunately our tech support team would be unable to help you in the event that you ran into issues. Simply put, we can't stand by the experience you would have with the 4670. That card in particular had some mid-game freezes that were pretty gnarly.

If you ever want to know if your machine will run a game effectively, head over to www.gameagent.com and use the Mac Match feature. It works on over 200 Mac games, not just Aspyr's. GameAgent also price shops for you so you can find the best deal on whatever game you are looking for.

BTW, Borderlands 2 runs flawlessly on the 4670 ;)

spyrmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012

how many fps approximately ?
25 ? 21 ?
if a macbook air can do it my imac can try it .
am i right ?

gameagent doesnt work for me by the way . tried to sign up never got the confirmation email . can't log in

----------

you should have a playable demo somewhere .

demos should be in the mac app store .

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
how many fps approximately ?
25 ? 21 ?
if a macbook air can do it my imac can try it .
am i right ?

gameagent doesnt work for me by the way . tried to sign up never got the confirmation email . can't log in

----------

you should have a playable demo somewhere .

demos should be in the mac app store .

FPS varies greatly in gameplay, but I would say you could avg around 15-20. NVIDIA cards had a particularly rough time on Black Ops. If you decide to take the plunge, make sure you have the latest drivers via software update and turn everything all the way down in the options. Remember, tech support wont be able to help you with an unsupported card. I hate to turn a customer away, but I also want you to have a good experience.

I hear ya on demos. That would really help on a game with such high system reqs, and certainly you specifically in this situation. We are looking at ways to fit demos into our schedule for 2013.

For GameAgent, make sure to check your spam. Also, there is a link on the signup page where you can resend the confirmation email. I've checked the system and all looks good on the backend, so you should get your email if you do the above 2 actions.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.