Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:27 AM   #1
rabidz7
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Power Mac G5 cannot read OS X disc

My brand new power mac G5 needs an OS to boot from, and when I put in the osx server disc it just kernel panics. When I put in A regular leopard disc it does not even read it.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:48 AM   #2
crewkid89
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Is the Leopard disc a retail disc?

What version of OSX server?

If it's not the discs you may need to try a different optical drive.
crewkid89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:17 AM   #3
rabidz7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewkid89 View Post
Is the Leopard disc a retail disc?

What version of OSX server?

If it's not the discs you may need to try a different optical drive.
It is OSX 10.5 for bothe server and regular
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
It is OSX 10.5 for bothe server and regular
Retail? Have you used these disks before?
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:18 PM   #5
rabidz7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Retail? Have you used these disks before?
I have not used the discs before. I got them off ebay.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
I have not used the discs before. I got them off ebay.
They are retail or gray?
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:55 PM   #7
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a
 
cocacolakid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Your Quad 2.5 Power Mac has a DVD drive that could read dual layer discs, and since it's doing a kernel panic on the Server Disc, that would rule out a DVD drive problem, at least to me.

Is that Leopard disc a retail disc? Meaning it's black (retail). If it's gray, which is what the system specific discs are, which will not work with your PM and would eject just like you are experiencing. It shipped with Tiger so there are no Leopard system discs for that machine, any Leopard system discs you might find/buy would be for other Macs and not work.

First I would reseat all of the RAM and try again. Make sure it's all pushed in firmly and the tabs are secured. If that doesn't solve the problem I would start taking RAM out and only leave one matched pair in place and see if you can install Server. (Server is your preferred OS, correct?)

Kernel panics indicate a hardware failure. Most of the time it's RAM. either it's badly seated and can be pushed back into place or one stick or more has failed (or even a RAM slot has gone bad). Take all of the RAM out but one set. Try it, it if doesn't work, replace that RAM with some of the other RAM and keep note of what's what. Keep the matched pairs together.

If you can't solve the problem with the RAM, it's likely a different piece of hardware. It could be the hard drive, the logic board, the power supply, etc.

Check to make sure all of the cables are firmly seated on both ends.
__________________
2012 Mini 2.3 i7 Samsung 840 250 GB SSD 16GB RAM
2012 13" MBP Samsung SSD, 16GB RAM
TBD, iPad 4, iPhone 4S

Last edited by cocacolakid; Jan 2, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:01 AM   #8
rabidz7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
Your Quad 2.5 Power Mac has a DVD drive that could read dual layer discs, and since it's doing a kernel panic on the Server Disc, that would rule out a DVD drive problem, at least to me.

Is that Leopard disc a retail disc? Meaning it's black (retail). If it's gray, which is what the system specific discs are, which will not work with your PM and would eject just like you are experiencing. It shipped with Tiger so there are no Leopard system discs for that machine, any Leopard system discs you might find/buy would be for other Macs and not work.

First I would reseat all of the RAM and try again. Make sure it's all pushed in firmly and the tabs are secured. If that doesn't solve the problem I would start taking RAM out and only leave one matched pair in place and see if you can install Server. (Server is your preferred OS, correct?)

Kernel panics indicate a hardware failure. Most of the time it's RAM. either it's badly seated and can be pushed back into place or one stick or more has failed (or even a RAM slot has gone bad). Take all of the RAM out but one set. Try it, it if doesn't work, replace that RAM with some of the other RAM and keep note of what's what. Keep the matched pairs together.

If you can't solve the problem with the RAM, it's likely a different piece of hardware. It could be the hard drive, the logic board, the power supply, etc.

Check to make sure all of the cables are firmly seated on both ends.
Yes, it is a black retail disc.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:08 AM   #9
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post

Kernel panics indicate a hardware failure. Most of the time it's RAM. either it's badly seated and can be pushed back into place or one stick or more has failed (or even a RAM slot has gone bad). Take all of the RAM out but one set. Try it, it if doesn't work, replace that RAM with some of the other RAM and keep note of what's what. Keep the matched pairs together.

If you can't solve the problem with the RAM, it's likely a different piece of hardware. It could be the hard drive, the logic board, the power supply, etc.

Check to make sure all of the cables are firmly seated on both ends.
WHAT

Most of the Kernel Panics are not HW problems, most of the time there are OS issues or in rare cases Application incompatibilities (One version of Transmission for instance gave kernel panics).

His issue is most likely an incompatible OS Install disk.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:45 AM   #10
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a
 
cocacolakid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
WHAT

Most of the Kernel Panics are not HW problems, most of the time there are OS issues or in rare cases Application incompatibilities (One version of Transmission for instance gave kernel panics).

His issue is most likely an incompatible OS Install disk.
Or RAM issues, as we've been discussing in this thread, which is a HARDWARE problem.

He has a retail Leopard disc, which was posted before you replied.

Apple has an entire thread on HARDWARE kernel panics.

----

OP, do you have another Mac to put that Leopard disc in and see if it is recognized?
__________________
2012 Mini 2.3 i7 Samsung 840 250 GB SSD 16GB RAM
2012 13" MBP Samsung SSD, 16GB RAM
TBD, iPad 4, iPhone 4S
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:42 AM   #11
noodle654
macrumors 68000
 
noodle654's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Never Ender
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
My brand new power mac G5 needs an OS to boot from, and when I put in the osx server disc it just kernel panics. When I put in A regular leopard disc it does not even read it.
I was having a similar struggle with my G5 that I picked up a few weeks ago. Have you reset the SMU (or PMU)? I was receiving endless Kernel panics and a simple reset cleared everything up. If you are still struggling, might I suggest trying Target Disk Mode (if you have another Mac). http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661?v...S&locale=en_US
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.3GHz (June 2012) HR Antiglare | iPhone 5 64GB | MacBook Air i5 1.3GHz (2013) | Mac Pro 5,1 W3580 |
noodle654 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:41 AM   #12
rabidz7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
I have solved the issue. An incompatible SATA controller was causing the kernel panics.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:11 PM   #13
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
I have solved the issue. An incompatible SATA controller was causing the kernel panics.
What OS were you running before this?
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:54 AM   #14
rabidz7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
What OS were you running before this?
None.
the drives were blank
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power mac g5 boot from disc problems Handofblood PowerPC Macs 1 Nov 9, 2013 02:01 PM
Power mac g5 boot from disc problems Handofblood Mac Pro 7 Nov 9, 2013 12:41 PM
2007 MacBook, problem getting the CPU to read the OS X disc vince1032 MacBook 3 Sep 25, 2013 04:38 PM
Can't read empty dvd +R disc's gerkozielman iMac 0 Aug 16, 2013 11:07 AM
New mac pro, vs current pricing and power Pls read. realizment Mac Pro 5 Oct 25, 2012 02:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC