Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bemidjiboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
I'm upgrading the electronics in the entire house (!) and this includes a new camcorder for home videos. I've used a Sony Handycam with an internal hard drive in the past and I think I'd like a camcorder with the SD cards now. I assume they would transfer faster into a new computer. Is that right? I was looking at something like the Canon Vixia: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Image-Stabilized-Camcorder/dp/B006UMMPMI Any thoughts on camcorder or, for that matter, which Mac to pair it with for efficient iMovie editing?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I think you have done your research and the market is so saturated with choice. The model you looking at, is the same as i use but my version is a Sony.
It is always best to go to a shop and have a look at a camcorder instead of buying from the internet blind. Dont buy second hand camcorders.
Panasonic are also good.
For fun yours is o.k but check on Apple web site if it supports your model.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I will add that no matter what camera you purchase, make sure that the battery can be upgraded and to a good size with the benefit of another brand other than Canon or Sony per se.

My moms camera can only accept the Canon and only a 2 hr. battery which sucks if they are out walking around and need just a bit more.

I have in the past went to my local camera shop and brought a SD card with me, recorded a few minutes of footage and then went home to test it out (the card). Some had good colors and were pretty steady and a few really needed help with one or both areas. Also test out the built-in mic and see how that is. I know my new Sony is miles ahead of my Canon unit I had so for family events if I really don't want to bring or even have my external mic it's fine.

Good luck!

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I agree with the Artful Dodger about testing. When I do that I also test the ability of the camera to maintain focus while panning and zooming. Testing will also allow you the opportunity to see if your comp and software can handle files from that camera.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'm upgrading the electronics in the entire house (!) and this includes a new camcorder for home videos. I've used a Sony Handycam with an internal hard drive in the past and I think I'd like a camcorder with the SD cards now. I assume they would transfer faster into a new computer. Is that right? I was looking at something like the Canon Vixia: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Image-Stabilized-Camcorder/dp/B006UMMPMI Any thoughts on camcorder or, for that matter, which Mac to pair it with for efficient iMovie editing?

I have one of the canon vixias. I forget which model. It works great but I never use it. I just wind up taking video with my still camera or even with my phone. But I do like the canon.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
That's a great quality camcorder, the S20 is good and the G10 is even better

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
That's a great quality camcorder, the S20 is good and the G10 is even better

Another vote for the HF G10. 30mm almost-wideangle (which is VERY uncommon in this price category) and huuuuuuge pixels meaning great low-light performance.

----------

Check here first and make sure it's compatible with iMovie.
http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US

Note that

- AVCHD reocrdings can directly be imported into iMovie

- you can still quickly remux them into MP4's via iVI or ClipWrap.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Last edited:

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
I just bought the m500.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-I...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1364648792&sr=1-2&keywords=m500

You can save yourself some cash by buying this over the m50. They are the same camera, the only difference is the m500 does not have any internal memory or wifi.

It works great in low light. Only thing I don't like about it is, I wish it zoomed out a little bit more. I find I have to take a step or 2 back to include everything. I'll take great low light performance over this.

check out http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.htm?type=Basic+Budget

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
It works great in low light. Only thing I don't like about it is, I wish it zoomed out a little bit more. I find I have to take a step or 2 back to include everything.

The Achilles' heel of cheap cameras is the lack of a (semi-)wideangle lens. If a camera is not explicitly stated to have a wideangle lens by the manufacturers, it generally starts at around 38-40mm equiv.

Unfortunately, prosumer cameras with considerably wider lens cost significantly more. For example, the $1100 HF G20 starts at 30.4mm. It's still much narrower than the 24mm of many P&S cameras (or the 28mm wideangle of most DSLR kit lens) but the IQ is much better in most other respects than that of any still cameras, except for maybe the Panasonic GH series. (But nothing else.)

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I hope you done your research and it is compatible with you're editing software?.
Zoom is not everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.