Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cartwright?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Just thought I'd post as I was in a very similar situation earlier this year.

I'd just bought the new retina MBP and realised I don't use my iPad all that often, if at all really. I only really noticed this when I would grab for the laptop rather than the iPad and from then I decided to sell it. Thankfully I sold it for a price which was more than reasonable for the 3rd gen, but it was in mint condition.

Over the last few weeks I've massively been pining for a tablet. Not a full-fat, retina'd up tablet. Just something which would allow me to not get crazy annoyed at using my iPhone for everything (mainly because the battery is god-awful)

So I took a plunge. I put the money I'd made into my wallet and headed down to the local store in my town and picked up the 16GB iPad Mini WIFI. My first impressions of the device where obviously how light it was, but then I saw the display, granted its not retina, but who cares? It fits my needs, I don't need someone to come and tell me how bad it is for them...I don't care about other peoples needs.

I ummmed and ahhhed about the Kindle Fire, Nexus or some real cheap eBay tablet as my needs are really simple, but I thought about all the money i'd spent on iPad specific apps etc. and realised it would be stupid to not continue within Apple's ecosystem. Yes its expensive to get into it, but for a product that holds its value as well as they do, why not?

tl;dr - Gone off on a tangent. If the iPad fits your needs even a little, its still the best thing on the market. For me, the retina version of the iPad was a little excessive as I never used it BUT the mini is perfect. Its light, holds it battery well and isn't all that flashy. It just does the simple jobs I need it to do without fuss. An Android run tablet wouldn't do it with such efficiency!

I think there is another reason why I don't get to pick up my ipad and use it as much, it is probably mainly because of my 12.5" Thinkpad. It is such a fast and portable laptop, yet much faster and beefier than most desktops, I believe that's what is keeping me from using ipad. Most of the time my laptop is within arms reach, and by putting it to sleep I can go through a full days work without having to plug it in. I think most people use their tablets and ipads as companion, while surely there are others relying %100 on it, but if I am watching a movie and I need to just look up something, (even though TV is HTPC) I just grab my thinkpad and look up stuff on it (it's truly always on, swipe of finger print). Maybe if I was not relying on my laptop to do my job I would probably accomplish all those things on ipad, may not even need the laptop like some people dropping their mbp/laptop completely, but the more I read I recognize the source.

As for replacing it with an android tab, I have this crazy paranoia about google and the apps downloaded from google, even if it is banking app, for some reason I happen to trust apple and their finance apps a tad bit more than google's.. Even though it's been fairly clear in recent reports that google protected user data a lot more than apple.. Still I use my ipad to deposit my checks, instead of my wife's android phone.. :cool:

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
What a strange problem to have! My only issues with iOS apps is not having enough time to explore more of them & the fact that my ipad is only 16GB next time I'll get one with more storage.

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013
Sounds to me if you haven't got one already a smartphone is the answer. If you want to stay with the iOS environment an iPhone would suite your needs.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I am also in similar situation. I rarely use the iPad since I have MBA 13". iPhone and MBA combination is perfectly filled my needs.
If I need the big screen, why not use MBA instead of iPad though the dimension is not noticeable. Also, if I want to have portability why not using the iPhone which I always bring anytime.
Agree, maybe iPad is not for everyone.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
The iPad is not for all. Some people do not understand it's capabilities or usefulness. For those there is Craigslist or eBay to sell the burdensome tablet. Personally, I can't imagine life again without my iPad. I've got that sucker within an arms reach at ALL times.

Why do you have to be offensive in your response? Some people don't 'understand' its capabilities? iPad does have its limitations.

I love my iPad and I think it's great, but wouldn't go to say I can't live without it... since you know, I have this other thing called life?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Why do you have to be offensive in your response? Some people don't 'understand' its capabilities? iPad does have its limitations.

I love my iPad and I think it's great, but wouldn't go to say I can't live without it... since you know, I have this other thing called life?

Wait..."some people don't understand it's capabilities" is an offensive statement!?:confused:

I'm happy for you that you have not experienced really offensive statements.;)

BTW: That bit of sarcasm in your post...well...:rolleyes:

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Would I physically die without my iPad? Probably not, but I don't want to find out. I use the iPad for my contacts, calendar, email, directions, reminders, note taking, discounts when shopping, social interactions, recipes, menus of restaurants, reservations at restaurants, tickets to movies, podcasts, web surfing, fitness tracking, music, video, photos, alarm clock, book reader... Everything!

My 10-year-old daughter uses hers nearly as much as I do. She made all of our dining reservations for our upcoming Disney trip on her iPad. I told her that someone had an iPad but didn't see the need for it. She rolled her eyes and said there is one in every crowd.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
It's hard to suggest "good things to do with the iPad" if we don't know what your career, interests, etc. are. Because the iPad can do a ton of different things covering a wide range of interests. You can play games on it, use Facebook, manage your bank account, review X-rays if you are a doctor, or even plan your approach into an airport if you are a pilot. It's a wide range.

My advice: Clearly a smaller tablet fits better with your needs. The question is: is the Playbook that tablet or should you spring for a Mini in order to take advantage of the iOS ecosystem? My answer is: first spend some time thinking about what your main hobbies are and how a computer or tablet might help in those areas. Also think about how you most use the internet on your computer or Playbook now. Once you've made that list, search the App Store and see what high quality apps there are that might fill those needs well. Apple's app ecosystem is FAR richer than the Playbook ever will be, but that may or may not matter to you. Giving some thought to what you want out of the device, then seeing what's available in each ecosystem, will help. You can also post specific questions in the Apps section of this forum if you want to see what's out there in a specific area of interest.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I would suggest reading some of the "what are your favorite apps" threads. The iPad doesn't have a clamshell shape, so it lends itself to casual use while lounging better than a laptop. If you still can't find a reason to use it, I would sell it and stick with the stuff you already have.

As for replacing it with an android tab, I have this crazy paranoia about google and the apps downloaded from google, even if it is banking app, for some reason I happen to trust apple and their finance apps a tad bit more than google's.. Even though it's been fairly clear in recent reports that google protected user data a lot more than apple.. Still I use my ipad to deposit my checks, instead of my wife's android phone.. :cool:

OMG you are paranoid.....Apple is just as bad as Google....

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I thoroughly believe that the OP just has not explored the many uses for the iPad. If you explore the apps, you will discover just how much this tool can do. Every person uses his/her iPad differently.

• Nightstand Central - My iPad woke me up promptly on time and displayed the weather.
  • Pill Reminder - My iPad reminded me to take my blood pressure medicines and allergy tabs. (Ever try and remember if you've already taken a pill?)
  • Pill Reminder - My iPad took my blood pressure using my iHealth (Good reading for today)
  • iHealth Scale - My iPad checked my weight
  • Facebook - My iPad showed me all the birthday wishes from my friends as I sipped my morning coffee on the deck.
  • NY Times - My iPad let me catch up on the news as I continued to sip coffee on the deck.
  • Beat the Traffic - My iPad told me which way NOT to go to get to ATL.
  • Fly Delta - My iPad let me know that my flight out to MCO would be delayed 30 minutes
  • Atlanta Airport Pro - My iPad confirmed the delay and let me know which parking lots to avoid.
  • Podcasts - My iPad brought me up-to-date on the nightly news and this week's 60 Minutes epidode.
  • Hertz - My iPad reserved my car for my arrival at MCO
  • The built in Calendar, Mail and Messages apps kept me in contact with my schedule.
  • Find iPhone - My iPad checked my 10-year-old daughter's location for me.
  • Netflix - My iPad played a couple episodes of a sitcom while I relaxed.
  • SIRI & MAPS - My iPad gave me directions to WDW Contemporary Resort
  • Evernote - My iPad let me take some quick notes during a couple of meetings.
  • My Disney Experience - My iPad found me a restaurant for dinner and reserved it. (Coral Reef in Epcot)
  • Facetime - My iPad enabled my daughter and I to have a video conversation (Nothing like watching the eye roll on the screen)
  • Safari - My iPad let me surf the web and post messages.
  • Fitbit - My iPad has tracked my steps all day long, I need a couple thousand more before bed.
  • Later I'll finish a book on iBooks app.

The iPad is a tool. For a tool to be valuable you need to use it. Each day, I use my ipad constantly. I know others that use them as much, if not more than I do. There were other things that I did without thinking about it. I scanned a bar code on the window of the rental car, just to see what it did. I scanned a bar code on the menu of a coffee shop. The dang thing is just too useful. SIRI told me the weather in Orlando, spelled a word for me and took a couple notes.

HERO XXL

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I was in the same boat at one time. Ultimately, I thought about my other interests and thought of ways I could possibly integrate the tablet. This would be my suggestion. I now use my full sized ipad for all of my comic reading. It's permanently attached to a gooseneck stand by my bed, which I swing out to read digital comics opened from my Dropbox. It never leaves the stand and I'm able to still utilize it. Give it a shot. I'm sure you have another hobby you can incorporate it with. Best of luck to you.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
One of the things that makes the world interesting is how different people can be. The iPad is a constant companion to me, because the apps I've put on it provide a constant source of entertainment, learning, and communication. What interests any one of us can hardly be expected to interest everyone, and no one is obliged to defend his own taste. Nonetheless, if you were exactly like me, here are some apps I'd recommend to make your iPad valuable to you:

1. Download The Teaching Company lectures, or find videos of courses taught by some of the best university professors on the iTunes U app;

2. Get Slingbox and the Slingbox app and watch live television or your DVR on your iPad anywhere any time;

3. Get satellite radio and the Sirius app; lots of interesting stations and programs;

4. Buy some stocks and track them with StockWatch;

5. Learn French, then get the France 24 app and watch the news in French, or read Le Monde; get the Ultralingua bilingual dictionary app, or get the Duolingo and learn through testing; get Forvo and learn the correct pronunciation of just about any word in any language from native speakers;

6. Get the Starmap app, and learn astronomy;

7. Get Flyby, then go outside to watch satellites and the International Space Station move across the sky; then show your friends;

8. Get 100 Pushups and follow its directions so you can do a hundred pushups one day; get GymGeek and log your workouts;

9. Get Epicurious and follow the recipes to make an interesting dinner for yourself and your family or friends;

10. Madden NFL;

11. Real Racing; GL Golf;

12. Get iBooks and or the Kindle app, get some good books (classics are free) and read them;

13. Get iMapMyRide, Strava, or Garmin Connect, take your iPad (or iPhone) with you on a long bicycle ride, then upload your ride (map, distance, speed, heart rate) and share it with friends; do this every day, increasing your speed, duration, and hill-climbing ability; do a charity ride using the app to give you directions;

14. Get Chirp USA, and learn to identify birds by their calls as well as their appearance; put out bird feeders in your backyard and see how many you can attract and identify;

15. Get Morse Code Study Buddy, learn Morse Code, then get Amateur Radio Exam Prep, and get your ham radio license; join your local ham radio club, or buy your own radio, put up an antenna or use EchoLink on your iPad, and communicate with other hams all over the world;

16. Get HikeGPS or AllTrails and find a hiking trail near you, and take a nice long walk in the woods, and bring your dog or someone along.

17. Get LimeChat and find chat rooms filled with people of similar interests;

18. Use FaceTime to videochat with family and friends on your iPad.

19. Get Netflix and watch movies and TV shows;

20. Get Flipbook and read articles from interesting magazines and websites;

21. Get Flickr and look at interesting and artistic photographs, and post your own;

22. Scan your family's old photographs, slides, and videos, and upload them to Dropbox so you can have them at your fingertips any time you have your iPad;

23. Get the CNN app and stay updated on the news;

24. Get Downcast and subscribe to podcasts like Car Talk, This American Life, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, WTF, and A Prairie Home Companion.

25. Get the apps for Facebook and Twitter and follow your friends and family as well as public figures you find interesting.

26. Get Police Scanner and listen in on communications among police, firefighters and EMTs in your neighborhood, or in a big city;

27. See what's going to be on television and schedule recordings from anywhere using the TiVo app;

28. Follow sports results on ESPN Score Center;

29. Track your weight and blood pressure using WiScale;

30. Get Zello Walkie Talkie and push to talk with friends, or listen in and participate in conversations all over the world;

31. Get Zinio or Newstand and load up your iPad with subscriptions to magazines you enjoy.

Hope this gives you some useful ideas. I've always loved this line from Auntie Mame: "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Goodplayer plays also the flv.format

There are only one or two apps that I use, like banking app that I deposit once or twice a month, and then apps gone free to load a few games, play once or twice..

I am getting bored with my ipad.
I considered trading it with an ipad mini, I think the main problem with ipad is the size, I just don't want to take it with me, or just grab and play as easily. Also I am having tough time finding those really cool apps everyone is talking about which makes app store "so good". I am sure there are really cool stuff in there somewhere, but what are those things!?

It is no comparison but I find myself grabbing my Playbook a lot more than my ipad, due to it's size.

Suggestions are welcome, ipad is really a nice piece of hardware, and I am not really planning to get rid of it completely since a long distance travel is coming up soon.. I plan to load some movies in .flv, hopefully ipad plays them.

I have used Goodplayer to play videofiles in the flv.format on my iPad, without any conversion. First I downloaded the files from box.net, and opened them in Goodplayer.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I can relate to the OP...

When you have other devices that do things better, or simply have no need/interest in many of the apps - the iPad quickly loses it's luster.

I ended up using mine during lectures as a notebook replacement (worked brilliantly, btw), but once the need for that ended, I sold it.

My MBP/mac mini was much better for web browsing at home, my phone was better for web browsing/looking up info on the go, the iPad worked poorly as an ebook reader replacement compared to my Kindle, and I simply don't care for games or time wasters at this point in my life.

Great device, but not valuable for everybody.

Pagandeva2000

macrumors member
May 3, 2013
While it surprises most of us, there are quite a few people who are not that thrilled with any Apple tablets.

My first tablet ever was the original kindle fire. I then got the kindle fire HD. I did say in the back of my mind if iPad ever did come out with a mini, I'm getting one, because I loved my iPhone. Sure enough, when the mini arrived, I immediately saw that the comparison was apples and oranges. I held on to carrying my kindle as a reader for quite some time, until my job finally got wifi. The streaming experience between the kindle and iPad showed me it was obvious that the mini won hands down. The apps can't compare, in my opinion. BUT, that's just me.

I can see how others are just not interested in iPads. For whatever reasons, it doesn't suit their personal needs. No shame there.

I do say this, though...there are apps that inform you when apps are decreased in price, or free. You can also comb the iTunes Store. Type in your interests. You may be surprised what comes up. My husband and I both have iPads, but outside of the basics, you see more contrast than things to compare. They're totally personalized to our private interests.

Bottom line is do what is best for you. Don't pay attention to anyone else's tirades.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I feel like you wouldn't have made this post if you were planning on keeping it. Sell, get some money and find something that you will enjoy more! Simple as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.