Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Cube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
(This was originally me asking how to install the games. I am just reusing this thread)

Recently, I bought BF2 and BF:BC2 during the steam summer sale. As you probably know, they are PC-only games, but I have cider/wine wrappers for both of them, one of which I know works (at least with the demo)
I downloaded the files for BF2 by way of stable port of steam (I mean the windows version. There is a mac version, but there are some differences, like not being able to install windows games/tools/software) put them in drive_c/program files, and set the exe path to bf2.exe in that folder. However, when I launch, it shows up as a small window, saying something about a steam library error. I have tried launching it with the non-steam exe, but that just shows up as a white screen with no sound or anything.

I use a late 2009 vanilla MB, running 10.8.4 with 2.26 GHz CPU, 2 GB RAM, and an Nvidia 256 MB GeForce 9400M. Help would be appreciated. :apple:

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
You have to have the game .exe and anything else that goes with it to install it into a wrapper. As it is on steam you have none of these, they do, you own no files when you buy from steam. You will have to run steam via windows (Bootcamp) or Parallels or some other VM it runs under.

I for one do NOT support steam, if I purchase a game, I WANT the game, either by way of a file download or on a DVD or whatever medium, NO DRM also helps.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I for one do NOT support steam, if I purchase a game, I WANT the game, either by way of a file download or on a DVD or whatever medium, NO DRM also helps.

Steam is a download service...not sure what your beef is. You can install games on as many computers as you want as long as you don't try to log-in on two or more separate machines at the same time.

As for the OP, I don't know but IMO if you already have Windows then you should use it.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Steam is a download service...not sure what your beef is. You can install games on as many computers as you want as long as you don't try to log-in on two or more separate machines at the same time.

As for the OP, I don't know but IMO if you already have Windows then you should use it.

So please tell me where on my machine I can find the complete game download that I can play without logging into steam, or being online ?

Zombiechow

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
So please tell me where on my machine I can find the complete game download that I can play without logging into steam, or being online ?

Steam's offline mode is fantastic, as are their games for next to nothing summer sales.

scuba156

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2013

And all files downloaded go to /steam/steamapps/

This really has nothing to do with the original question.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
And all files downloaded go to /steam/steamapps/

This really has nothing to do with the original question.

Mine were in Home/Applications and when offline (offline as in not logged into steam or no broadband connection) I could NOT play them, I kept being asked to log into steam.

No more reply, I done my time with steam, and will do no more.

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Mine were in Home/Applications and when offline (offline as in not logged into steam or no broadband connection) I could NOT play them, I kept being asked to log into steam.

It could happen. Most likely drm would be removed. Cracking steam is not that hard either. And many games does indeed run directly from the steam apps folder without logging into steam.

I don't see steam go under, but it could happen so your worries are real, however most games nowadays do require some sort of DRM, most which are more intrusive than steam is.

THe same goes from games from mac app store, they also have drm.

At least where I live steam are much cheaper than most other services, especially retail games are ridiculous expensive.

Anyways back on topic, wineskin has a winetrick for steam, hust run the winetrick from the wrapper and it will install steam for you, then just install the game from steam. Some games needs additional configs.
Wineskin is free.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Anyways back on topic, wineskin has a winetrick for steam, hust run the winetrick from the wrapper and it will install steam for you, then just install the game from steam. Some games needs additional configs.
Wineskin is free.

I would add something to this. I found it useful to create a generic wrapper with just Steam in it, which I then ran one time so Steamguard would kick in and prompt me to check my email and enter the code to validate running Steam on this "computer."

When I want to setup a game with Wineskin that uses Steam, I just make a copy of the generic app I made, named for the new game I am going to install, fire it up and run steam to do this installation inside it, etc.

The point of all this is that I do not have to deal with Steamguard again every time I setup a new game with Wineskin. It's also a timesaver having a wrapper good to go with Steam in it already.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
It could happen. Most likely drm would be removed. Cracking steam is not that hard either. And many games does indeed run directly from the steam apps folder without logging into steam.

I don't see steam go under, but it could happen so your worries are real, however most games nowadays do require some sort of DRM, most which are more intrusive than steam is.

THe same goes from games from mac app store, they also have drm.

At least where I live steam are much cheaper than most other services, especially retail games are ridiculous expensive.

Wineskin is free.

Thanks for this reply, did not realise wineskin had a winetrick for steam, I try very hard NOT to buy from the app store either.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my steam angst.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

Hate to break it to you, but pretty much every game you buy regardless of format is going to have some sort of DRM attached to it. Even games on disc can have a "phone home" or online activation despite not actually requiring the DVD to be present.

Steam's DRM is actually among the least intrusive especially since it has an offline mode. If you think it's too much hassle to launch the client first, well, there's really nothing more than can be done for you.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Sounds like you already made up your mind about Steam before posting. Why waste people's time when it is clear you were bound to hate Steam regardless of whether offline mode worked or not?

Steam offline mode has always worked for me. That coupled with the simply awesome sales and fantastic gamer-centric social services makes it DRM I can happily live with.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Steam offline mode has always worked for me. That coupled with the simply awesome sales and fantastic gamer-centric social services makes it DRM I can happily live with.

I've yet to need offline mode in my many years of being a happy Steam customer myself. I agree completely about the pluses of Steam and really enjoy being a part of that online community with my friends there and all the added enhancements that add to the fun.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Just by way to finish.

After reading all the replies on this, I swallowed hard and re installed Steam, I clicked through the games that I do have with them, most updated with something about enhanced files etc.

Guess what I can now use Steam offline, and the games I have run fine now :)

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
One of the other great benefits is SteamPlay. Depending on the game, I can buy a title in Windows, and not have to spend any more money if an OS X port is released later.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
One of the other great benefits is SteamPlay. Depending on the game, I can buy a title in Windows, and not have to spend any more money if an OS X port is released later.

If you get the Mac game months after you bought the PC on Steam then it also means the Mac port gets no money at all from you towards the Mac dev costs. If you buy it when the Mac version is released then then the Mac version will get some revenue towards the development. :)

Edwin

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
If you get the Mac game months after you bought the PC on Steam then it also means the Mac port gets no money at all from you towards the Mac dev costs. If you buy it when the Mac version is released then then the Mac version will get some revenue towards the development. :)

Edwin

Is it Valve's decision to make a game SteamPlay, or is that something the developer agrees to? There are games such as CoD: Black Ops where the Windows and Mac versions are two separate purchases, but there are plenty of others that end up being OS agnostic.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Is it Valve's decision to make a game SteamPlay, or is that something the developer agrees to? There are games such as CoD: Black Ops where the Windows and Mac versions are two separate purchases, but there are plenty of others that end up being OS agnostic.

Originally Valve only allowed SteamPlay titles. Now they allow separate SKUs as well.

The decision on the Mac version will depend on various points and facts, however Valve would not be involved in the decision at all unless the title is developed/published by Valve.Valve just run the store in this scenario nothing more.

Edwin

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Edwin

Too be more specific, it has nothing to do with when or on what you buy it, but what you play it on first, correct? I think I remember Aspyr saying that they will get the $$ as long as you play the Mac version more the first week or so of your playtime.

So I could buy Bioshock infinite (say, during a Steam Sale ;) ) on my windows partition and even download it, and Aspyr would still get their cut as long as I waited and played it first in OS X. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Regarding Steam DRM, just so people know: not all games on Steam have it. Some can be run without the client at all.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Just by way to finish.

After reading all the replies on this, I swallowed hard and re installed Steam, I clicked through the games that I do have with them, most updated with something about enhanced files etc.

Guess what I can now use Steam offline, and the games I have run fine now :)

Awesome! Glad to hear it.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
So I could buy Bioshock infinite (say, during a Steam Sale ;) ) on my windows partition and even download it, and Aspyr would still get their cut as long as I waited and played it first in OS X. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

As far as I am aware you are mistaken.

The only way to guarantee the Mac SKU gets the revenue to buy, install and play it on the Mac. If you only play on the Mac then the Mac developers get all the revenue

If the gameplay is split between both platforms in the initial weeks then both developers get paid.

If you buy it on a Steam sale when it is PC only then the PC developer gets all of the revenue even if a Mac version is released later on.

Edwin

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
OP, were you able to get the game to run using the Wineskin trick?

Red Cube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
OP, were you able to get the game to run using the Wineskin trick?
I just remembered that I had posted this, sorry :( I asked some guy on The Porting Team who had the same OS version, and I did the same things he did, though I didn't know about winetricks. Thanks a lot! I'll try it later today.

EDIT: I had actually downloaded the game and put the files in drive_c/program files, and set the launch exe to be the one in that folder. White screen, no sound, no nothing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.