Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rueffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Hi,

I like to keep my dock fairly well organised as theres a lot on it. In particular I like to assign individual icons to a range of word and excel files. I've changed the icons by simply right clicking on the file, get info and then selecting and pasting the new icon over the old one.

That all works fine but then after a random amount of time the icons revert back to the way they were (the original word/excel file icons). What could be causing this and how can I stop it from happening? Sometimes it happens after a restart, sometimes I just notice they have changed back without a restart (at least not that I can remember restarting it anyway).

Thanks,
Rueffy.

mrmeee17

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
Changed icon's reverting back to original.

Have this exact same problem, but with folder icons. Interested to know how to fix this as well.

Are your files synced to an online service, e.g. Dropbox?

rueffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
No the files are located on an external hard-drive that is always plugged in. I think it was happening when the files were located on the computers internal hard drive anyway.

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
Clean out your user caches using a tool like Onyx. Likely cause is your cache files are misbehaving.

Cheers

rueffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
I use Onyx on a fairly regular basis anyway and that includes the cleaning of cache files, I've just gone through and done it again but I don't expect any success.

rueffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
No luck with the cache clearing. The icons have reverted back. Any other suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.