Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:14 PM   #26
Tropical John
macrumors newbie

Screen goes black

So, if it is a failing video card, it is going to start to fail when it is hot.

That's why turning up the fan and turning down the screen help, doing so keeps your machine cooler.

Your typical Apple store is kept at meat locker temps with all those machines running. Meaning they might not be able to reproduce the problem. Take a video of it failing at home on your phone and take that with you. It's not like you're going to make this stuff up! but hard evidence might be necessary to get them to replace the video card.

PS you can hit alt+command+eject and then space and the screen will come back. Don't need to hard reboot.
Tropical John is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 06:20 AM   #27
ijlakw
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip!
ijlakw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 02:42 PM   #28
12Tarona
macrumors newbie

27" iMac black screen fixed!!

I bought my 27" iMac in 2011..two years later the screen went black. Brought it back to Best Buy, they put in a new graphics card and some other stuff.. Returned home, shortly black screen returned. Put up with it for a while, returned to Best Buy, they put in a new back light, did some adjustments or what ever, returned home, shortly went black again. I installed a fan software, seemed to help, then went black again. I kept playing with it, shutting it of, turning it on over and over again. Sometimes it'd stay on for a while other times I just gave up and walked away. Finally I returned to Best Buy hot and red-faced. They took it in, called in about 10 days, it was ready.....Yea sure......I was skeptical. Brought it home and guess what?? It's been running almost non stop for 12 days and no black screen. What did they do? No parts! They just went in and unplugged all of the switches and wires and replugged everything again. Evidently one was loosely connected. Seems like they put these things together so fast that sometimes they get a little sloppy and things aren't plugged in tightly enough. It sure worked for me, and I'll bet this is the same problem for most of you guys. Good luck.
12Tarona is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 06:18 PM   #29
gatortpk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Tarona View Post
I bought my 27" iMac in 2011..two years later the screen went black. Brought it back to Best Buy, they put in a new graphics card and some other stuff.. Returned home, shortly black screen returned. Put up with it for a while, returned to Best Buy, they put in a new back light, did some adjustments or what ever, returned home, shortly went black again. I installed a fan software, seemed to help, then went black again. I kept playing with it, shutting it of, turning it on over and over again. Sometimes it'd stay on for a while other times I just gave up and walked away. Finally I returned to Best Buy hot and red-faced. They took it in, called in about 10 days, it was ready.....Yea sure......I was skeptical. Brought it home and guess what?? It's been running almost non stop for 12 days and no black screen. What did they do? No parts! They just went in and unplugged all of the switches and wires and replugged everything again. Evidently one was loosely connected. Seems like they put these things together so fast that sometimes they get a little sloppy and things aren't plugged in tightly enough. It sure worked for me, and I'll bet this is the same problem for most of you guys. Good luck.
Thanks for this post!

My problem has been that after my screen goes to sleep, sometimes only the backlight will come back on and the screen will still stay black. Sometimes I will actually see my mouse arrow, so I know that the LCD display and it's backlight are actually working, but it just won't wake all the way up. The only solution is to hold the back power button for ~5 seconds to force a shutdown and then click it back on.

Why your post caught my attention is that I have also taken apart my entire 2009 27" iMac (32GB RAM, Core i7 2.8 GHz) including the logic board and put it back together. It actually seemed to work well for a week after I put it back together and I started getting the black screen after waking from sleep 3 times just today. I didn't take it apart because of this issue, I took it apart to replace the SATA cable (yes, that requires one to get to the back side of the logic board which means 34+ screws and ~19 connections have to be undone).

It's interesting that these connections can have unexpected consequences when they aren't perfect (within design specifications, they're never perfect and designed with that in mind). It's always either a lack of power, or a inconsistent data connection. I'm suspecting because parts of the computer wake up, the software itself didn't get the message to wake, and this could be caused by either problems associated with hardware connections.

I was wondering if a computer hardware expert can weigh in here? I repair computers, but I don't design them. I know no one person or team designs an entire computer system from the ground up like they did a few decades ago, but someone must have an idea what could be happening here. This issue seems common, but not prevalent enough for a recall. (I also understand that some posters on this thread are talking about a different issue. I'm referring to the 27 inch iMac display not waking completely from sleep, even though the backlight is on, the software isn't always aware that the display is back on.)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:43 AM   #30
ijlakw
macrumors newbie

I'm still suspicious that I'm seeing a OSx bug. When my screen randomly goes black... while the computer is running find in the background.... if I briefly press the power button... the screen comes right back on. Very strange.. and basically unusable.
ijlakw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac